What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

(59-61)

Love, Simon 6/10

I’m a straight guy and I’m nearly 40 years old, this is a film about a 17 year old whose life is fucking perfect and his struggles with coming out as gay. Nonetheless it pulled all my heartstrings and I laughed a lot. I actually welled up a bit and full on cried once. Had a few issues with like, dude, imagine yourself in Damascus, but ok you are where you are and this was important to you. (cinema)

The House 5/10

Will Ferrell/ex-wife of Will Arnett vehicle.  Laughed so hard at this 1 minute bit in ONE scene so worth a watch I guess even though the rest was forgettable. (Sky)

A Gentle Creature 7.5/10

V interesting take on modern day authoritarian Russia, played out through the prism of one incredibly stoic woman’s bureaucratic nightmare dealing with a state that doesn’t give a flying fock about the people it’s meant to be serving. Slightly unsure about the fantastical bit towards the end but generally v good. (cinema)

(62-68)

Captain America: Civil War 8/10

Still love this for the spectacle and the actual, genuine conflict of the two opposing parties. Can sympathise with both Iron Man and the Cap’s viewpoints. An action packed rollercoaster of a movie,  one of Marvel’s best. (Netflix)

Napoleon Dynamite 8/10

You’ve all seen it. You either love it or you hate it. I love it. Stupidly funny. (dvd)

Point Break (1991) 8/10

Mindless, action fun. Endlessly quoteable. Still great. (dvd)

King of Kong 8/10

Really obvious he was cheating I thought. (YT)

Western 7.5/10

Quite subtle low key film about a bunch of absolute dickhead German lads (plus one non dickhead) annoying the living shit out of the Bulgarian population of a small village when they go to work on a small hydro electric project, lots of difficulty because hardly any of them understand a word of the others language. Basically Auf Weidersehen Pet if it wasn’t funny. (Curzon)

Rampage 8/10

Never played the game but this was only very loosely based on it. It was cliched beyond belief, stupid, corny, plotless, appallingly acted, BUT it was the most fun I’ve had watching a film in a long long time, fantastically brilliant carnage, Dwayne The Rock Johnson does what he do (spoiler, when he’s signing to the gorilla his sign for “me” is “rock”), the villains are hilariously bad, like they are totally corny 80s B movie villains and it works perfectly, it was seriously fucking violent, like people getting chomped, thrown violently against walls, helicopters getting bashed, huge blood splats when people get killed by falling debris and honestly I have never laughed harder at any film than I did at the last scene, I swear to god.  (cinema)

Hurrican Heist 5/10

An enjoyable romp. (cinema)

14 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Dave made a maze:

Watched this last night, fell asleep, missed the last 30.
Didn't capture me at all and i just didn't get it.

I loved this movie. Dunno if it was because it felt like I hadn't seen anything like it before. Thought loads of the visual stuff was brilliantly done, and there was a couple of moments that had me almost roaring with laughter.

I loved this movie. Dunno if it was because it felt like I hadn't seen anything like it before. Thought loads of the visual stuff was brilliantly done, and there was a couple of moments that had me almost roaring with laughter.

Was it you who posted about it a few pages ago? If so then it was on your recommendation.
I usually just read through a few pages of this while browsing my terrarium tv app and any decent reviews, save them to my favourites.
I think I may have enjoyed it a bit more if I'd have been properly "baked" when watching it.

10 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

To Live And Die in L.A.

classic 80s crime thriller about a maverick FBI agent hell bent on taking down a counterfeit operation.  Very stylish, violent in places, a cool 80s soundtrack and the sleazy backstreets  of L.A. have never looked so good.

10/10

Great movie. One of Friedkin’s best. Willem Dafoe is excellent in this. Got it on blu ray recently, must give it a rewatch soon. If you like this, try 52 Pick-Up, another underrated 80s crime thriller.

A Quiet Place.

Went to see this last week, and the screen turned black 10 minutes in. They couldn't get it working, so screening cancelled. Twats.

Went back today, and no issues this time. Aside from leaving me a nervous wreck, that is. Fantastic, tense as anything, and much more than the 'generic horror pish' I initially thought afyer seeing the trailer. Glad my friend twisted my arm on this one. A great idea executed excellently.

9/10.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer......6/10
Loosely based on a true story/characters and highly recommended by Sunday Times. Looks very dated now and obviously very low budget. Pretty gory and intense at times but disappointing overall.
One of the best serial killer films. What makes it disturbing is the aftermath shots of the murder scenes plus the fact there is no police investigation it always follows Henry and his disturbing activities

(69)

Beast 4/10

V confused film this, I can see what they were trying to do, some kind of Repulsion style psychological study, but just didn’t work...basic synopsis is a v disturbed woman who did something pretty bad when she was a kid ends up desperately searching for *something* and ends up finding that something in a is-he/isn’t-he serial killer but then it all starts to unravel, but not nearly as interesting as that sounds. Not v good. (cinema)

4 hours ago, Christophe said:

(69)

Beast 4/10

V confused film this, I can see what they were trying to do, some kind of Repulsion style psychological study, but just didn’t work...basic synopsis is a v disturbed woman who did something pretty bad when she was a kid ends up desperately searching for *something* and ends up finding that something in a is-he/isn’t-he serial killer but then it all starts to unravel, but not nearly as interesting as that sounds. Not v good. (cinema)

Disappointed about that. Kermode seemed to love it. But he loved Twilight. 

(70)

Avengers 3: Infinite Run Time 8/10

This was really, really impressively done. You’ve got 20-30 characters all built up in the 19 Marvel films up to this point, and they manage to spread all the onscreen time, jokes, emotional moments, etc etc, between them all and in that respect it’s hugely impressively done. Your big bad has been teased throughout the franchise and honestly he felt a bit shit, but in this one they show how amazingly powerful he is, and he just gets more powerful. Not only that but they give him a backstory (sort of) and a motivation (the amoral philosopher) so that you really get where he’s coming from and what his motivation is. It manages to throw in some shocking and unexpected deaths, which always builds the emotion. It looks fucking fantastic, some of the CG in Black Panther was a bit meh, but this was glorious all the way through. The comic quips hit the mark every single time. Won’t comment on the ending cos that’s the whole point of the film, but suffice to say it’s the whole point of the next film too, so the emotional power of the ending was blunted for me. No way it stays the same way at the end of the next film. It did start to drag a bit towards the end and there were a few moments when you were supposed to care about the characters you didn’t really give a shit about but still, like I said, hugely impressive feat of film making within the genre. (cinema)

(71-72)

Madame Hyde 8/10

Isabelle Huppert in a French black comedy very loosely based on Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde. Quite funny in parts, quite sweet, almost twee, enjoyable but ultimately lacking depth. (cinema)

Solar Walk 10/10

Surreal animation by Reka Bucsi based on the Solar System with an original jazz score. I found it utterly surprising and stunning, with a kind of surreal. The score was played live and they had some sound problems (for some reason they places the singer right next to the drummer) but it was hugely entertaining. The missus thought it was a bit too Adventure Time. (Royal Birmingham Conservatoire)