What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Who's the hotter Lara Croft in everybody's opinion, Angelina or this new lass, not seen the new version yet, but she's going to have to go some to beat AJ in her pert prime!!![emoji7]

Its not even close. Vikander is streets ahead

1 hour ago, Twinkle said:
12 hours ago, King Kebab said:
Who's the hotter Lara Croft in everybody's opinion, Angelina or this new lass, not seen the new version yet, but she's going to have to go some to beat AJ in her pert prime!!!emoji7.png

Its not even close. Vikander is streets ahead

This

I disagree. Jolie always had that quality where, at a moment's notice, she could go mental. Like Suranne Jones in doctor Foster, you wid but with extreme trepidation. I'd put her top.

I, Tonya was much better than I expected and Allison Janney was superb. 8/10. 

14 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Who's the hotter Lara Croft in everybody's opinion, Angelina or this new lass, not seen the new version yet, but she's going to have to go some to beat AJ in her pert prime!!!emoji7.png

Don't think it's much of a contest. I'd happily plug away at Alicia Vikander until the cows come home. She's the robot lassie from Ex Machina and (I'm sure I don't have to tell you this) she does a Gregory's Girl in that one (TBF, the lot). Don't recall many folk complaining at that.

Jolie is clearly the correct answer. Jolie in her Tomb Raider days obviously.

You are quite correct!!!

IMG_3242.thumb.jpg.d4dc0d61e283d97adfd832e3db91ecac.jpg

IMG_3245.thumb.jpg.930842bee881ebe0c22bf8f161a021ea.jpg

There is really no contest is there???

Transfomers: The Last Knight.

I've found something to enjoy in all the previous films.  Yes the quality varies and they're all pretty shite, but watchable.  This one is the first that I've actively disliked.  Baddie Optimus is a good idea, dropped almost instantly.  He's also in it for about 10 minutes.  Unicron!  except it's mentioned, then forgotten about until a tacked on bit at the end setting up a sequel that's unlikely to come.  There's also an overly sexualised 14 year old lassie in it that makes for very uncomfortable viewing.  Anthony Hopkins reads his lines like he's waiting for the cheque to clear and has no idea what is going on.  Which is funny, because neither did I.  It's like they cut half an hour of vital plot points and didn't bother filling in the gaps.

Awful. 2/10

Black Swan (2010):

After seeing this and a couple of his other films ('Requiem for a Dream' and 'mother!'), I feel that Darren Aronofsky is rather repetitive in his structure: the main character is introduced to something peculiar, s/he begins to slowly lose his/her mind before a bat-shit crazy final act. However, I do very much respect how much he manages to keep a handle on said final act. It all feels very deliberate, structured and, ultimately, very well directed. 

In the case of 'Black Swan', a lot of it feels very much like a ballet, not just because of the music, but the way that Natalie Portman glides across the set, the way that the lighting is bearing down on her face and it is frequently framed in a way that she is always the forefront and so much goes on in the background. There was a lot made of how much of 'mother!' had the camera clinging onto Jennifer Lawrence's face or over her shoulder, but it is very much the same here for Natalie Portman. I'm not sure how much of it is her in real-time or her face CG-ed onto a double, but if it's the former she does fantastically well in portraying her inner turmoil while performing arduous routines. 

I think it's weaved cleverly with its foreshadowing (mostly with the use of parallels with others) and symbolism, but that sadly comes to a head in a very on the nose way. Speaking of which, the ending does follow a similar path to 'mother!' in that it can get a bit too ridiculous, but I respect how Aronofsky ultimately manages to keep a handle on it, although 'Black Swan' makes more dramatic and thematic sense and is actually saying something.