What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Forgot to add that the whole way through I was thinking what a great score, really jarring and unusual, turns out it was only bladdy Greenwood again he IS good at scores

I enjoyed the film, and had been commenting on how unnerving the score was to people. Didn’t realise it was Jonny Greenwood who had done it though. Pretty much made the film for me.

On 12/03/2018 at 14:37, SweeperDee said:

You say this as a qualified individual who can pass judgment on the subtle merits of an Oscar winning film, aye?

Well aye,  why shouldn't he?  Don't know the guy but I'm sure he's seen a few films. And what 'qualifications' do you need to watch a film? Or pass judgement on a film?

Well aye,  why shouldn't he?  Don't know the guy but I'm sure he's seen a few films. And what 'qualifications' do you need to watch a film? Or pass judgement on a film?

He’s rubbishing the past 15 years or so of Oscar winning films because they’re shit, apparently. Didn’t say you needed any formal qualifications, but a prominent background in the film industry would probably help in being a relatively good film critic and hence being “qualified”.

So films are essentially made for film critics?   What about us riff-raff who just want to see a good film?

Well no, they aren’t. However if someone makes a plainly silly comment about how the past 15 or so years of Oscar winning films have been shite, then they deserved to be called out on how ridiculous it is.

1 minute ago, SweeperDee said:

Also you can be a critic all you want, even without any sort of credible background in the area you are critiquing, just don’t expect people to accept your opinion blindly.

Calm down.  When you're watching a film, YOU'RE watching the film. Nobody's watching it for you. It's subjective, and your opinion is formed by you. 

Yeah, I know. But what exactly is a 'credible background' when it comes to giving an opinion on a film?

Whatever it is, it certainly isn’t one which involves rubbishing the past 15 or so years of Oscar winning films.

I watched 1997s The Pest recently and it was an awful film but I still had more fun than Birdman or 12 Years or Hurt Locker or Slumdog. Some people want a fun time from films. Some people want to nod and go hmmmm yes. 2 hours is a long time to be bored for.

6 minutes ago, Crroma said:

Some people want a fun time from films. Some people want to nod and go hmmmm yes. 2 hours is a long time to be bored for.

No need to be bored for 2 hours. If it's shit it's shit. Sometimes you can just be bowled over unexpectedly by a film. I Tonya, for example, seemed to pass in 20 minutes. Utterly absorbing. 

Shape Of Water on the other hand, couldn't stay focused for 20 minutes, gave up. I'm sure I'm 'missing' something but it just didn't hold my attention. 

Cineworld Secret Screening last night was Love, Simon.  6.5/10

Actually enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.  First time when I've been at a secret screening that a dozen or so folk got up and left when the film title came on!

The plot?

"Everyone deserves a great love story. But for seventeen-year old Simon Spier it's a little more complicated: he's yet to tell his family or friends he's gay and he doesn't actually know the identity of the anonymous classmate he's fallen for online"

It was actually pretty good.   Well acted and the occasional laugh out loud moment.  It gained half a mark for having Tony Hale as the Deputy Principal at the school who stole every scene that he was in.