What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Intern - Anne Hathaway and Robert De Niro star in this film about a retired man going back to work as a senior intern. Was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. Quite funny at times but also well acted - 6.5/10.

I saw this & found it a bit too sugarcoated for my liking, a bit too Disney if you will. I watched it because I like De Niro but I don't think he did himself any favours taking on this role, see meet the fokkers etc. he plays a good fellow not a good fellah. 4/10

Grimbo

Edited by Grim O'Grady

Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Was completely transfixed with this yin. What can I say though, I'm a sucker for a love story. I have decided that I am completely in love with Emma Stone. Ryan Gosling was probably the coolest looking guy in a film since Brad Pitt in Fight Club. Steve Carrell funny as ever.

Would recommend.

Finally caught up with 'Under the Skin' ,and it was as strange as I was expecting. Thoroughly enjoyed it but not sure why. Think the fact I was trying to recognise the areas it was being filmed in kept my attention probably more than someone watching it from other than Glasgow. Thought it was really bold film making which while wasn't perfect (poor ending I thought) certainly made you think. Wife hated it but I knew she would before I turned it on.

8/10

Edited by Joe Terrapin

Finally caught up with 'Under the Skin' ,and it was as strange as I was expecting. Thoroughly enjoyed it but not sure why. Think the fact I was trying to recognise the areas it was being filmed in kept my attention probably more than someone watching it from other than Glasgow. Thought it was really bold film making which while wasn't perfect (poor ending I thought) certainly made you think. Wife hated it but I knew she would before I turned it on.

8/10

I loved it but I knew the story from the book. I can imagine it being a bit frustrating if you've simply no idea what is going on.

The Martian

9/10

Watched this with the missus and my daughter (10). She kept leaning over to me and whispering "this is so good". The only criticisms are nitpicking.. there are a couple of wooden Chinese characters who seem to be crow-barred in to help sell the film in China. The bloke in particular could be straight out of Team America. Also, it's a long film but it didn't really convey the sense that a years stuck in a wee space ship might feel a bit of a drag.

Apart from that it's hard to fault: funny, good-hearted, believable camaraderie and dialogue. Intelligent, great looking film with its heart in the right place. Worth checking on the big screen too rather than waiting to see it at home.

Contact (7/10)

The Jodie Foster SETI number from the 90s. Really quite good storytelling with tremendous special effects and visualisations but a point docked for the too rambly, distracting side-story with McConaghy, and the bizarre hearing at the end with the unexplained hyper-confrontational suit guy.

Walkabout 9/10

Watched this last night. I vaguely remember watching this in the 80s and being disturbed by it as a kid. Atmospheric isn't really the word is it. More hallucinogenic, trippy. Still holds up. The scene with the dad and the car, wow, incredible. And the way Roeg captures the nature. Beautiful and deeply unsettling film simultaneously. The narrative is sort of secondary isn't it. A one-off.

Closely Observed Trains (1966)

Sometimes​​ called Closely Watched Trains this is the first Czech film I've seen and it's pretty good. It's what you would probably call a coming of age comedy as an apprentice signalman goes to desperate measures to prove he has become a man. The film is set during WW2 in German occupied Czechoslavakia but the war is a only a minor distraction to our young hero. The film is full of sexual innuendo including an explosive climax. I'm not sure who the Czech's are having a laugh at here, themselves or the Nazis but since it was made in 1966 maybe it's really the Russians substituted in the film by the Nazis.

8/10

It was a long flight:

San Andreas - hokum, great effects, bad acting 3/10

Terminator Genisys - bad acting, confusing story, lots of it just pasted from the first film 2/10

Tomorrowland - Confusing story but quite fun 6/10

Love & Mercy - Great performances from John Cusack as Brian Wilson and Paul Giamatti as Eugene Landy. Plus Elizabeth Banks (wid!) 8/10

Just seen The Martian.

Loved it. Sean Bean's character explaining the meeting of Elrond was fantastic

It was quite easy to spot the geeks in the cinema at that bit - only a very select few laughed/chuckled :lol: