What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I'm jealous, as I don't get to the cinema other than for weans' films these days, and I do like me some M. Night. Seriously tempted to lay some spoilers down on your asses by way of revenge :angry:

Bruce Willis is Keyser Soze.

Suck it, biatches!

You'll be alright mate, the local effluent works inlet is right by the gate on the corner as you turn left round to the Refuse and Recycling centre. Just pull up at the gates and chuck the DVDs over the fence.

Already tried it last night. There was a power cut across Clackmannanshire immediately afterwards, and the DVDs were waiting for me at the front door when I stumbled home in the dark.

It's almost like I've stumbled into some really poor horror film, that's somehow already better than any of the four mentioned :mellow:

The Bicycle Thieves. (1948).

Whilst Orwell was publishing his book 1984 over in Italy they were showing this film in the cinemas. Ok it's no Cinema Paradiso but still a cracking wee film of its kind. You have to take in to account the time & social aspects of life just after the war in Italy.

The thing is if I was around at the time & went to the flicks to watch this I'm not sure if I'd want my money back after watching it or is it some sort of moralistic public info film?

Grimbo

The other night I compiled a big list of just short of 100 films that are highly rated but I've never taken the time to watch (or have not watched in their entirety), and I'm trying to work my way through them all. First up tonight was Groundhog Day which was fairly decent, particularly the Ned Ryerson character. For some reason though, I can't take to Bill Murray. I'd probably give it a 7.

Watched The Visit last night. One of the few horror films to genuinely creep me out since The Ring remake came out. Didn't find it funny though. I'm not into the new style of horror/comedy. Its one or the other for me, scared shitless or howling with laughter. Luckily this did scar me a wee bit, which is what I want from a horror film. I might never go near my gran again.

The Bicycle Thieves. (1948).

Whilst Orwell was publishing his book 1984 over in Italy they were showing this film in the cinemas. Ok it's no Cinema Paradiso but still a cracking wee film of its kind. You have to take in to account the time & social aspects of life just after the war in Italy.

The thing is if I was around at the time & went to the flicks to watch this I'm not sure if I'd want my money back after watching it or is it some sort of moralistic public info film?

Grimbo

Glad you enjoyed this film Grimbo, it's one of my favourite films and you're right that you have to understand the time period and the devastating effects that the war had on Italy. This period inspired some great Italian film directors to make films in a new style called Neorealism and in Bicycle Thieves there are no trained actors which gives you the feeling that everyone's characteristics are real. The father/son relationship makes the film extra special for me and the closing scene is just wonderful.

Btw did you know that Sergio Leone appears in the film as one of the priests sheltering from the rain.

Vacation 5/10

National Lampoons have rebooted chevy chases classic series and it wasn't as bad as I expected.

A lot of obvious humour that you expect but still found myself laughing at bits of it.

Bit with the hot springs was funny.

Would've liked to have seen Johnny Gallecki playing the part of Russ again. But he might not have been able to play the useless dad part as well as Ed helms.

Was a nice touch to have Chevy chase and Beverly Di Angelo in it but by christ they look old now. Shes had a tonne of work done.

All in all a decent way to spend an hour and a half.

Glad you enjoyed this film Grimbo, it's one of my favourite films and you're right that you have to understand the time period and the devastating effects that the war had on Italy. This period inspired some great Italian film directors to make films in a new style called Neorealism and in Bicycle Thieves there are no trained actors which gives you the feeling that everyone's characteristics are real. The father/son relationship makes the film extra special for me and the closing scene is just wonderful.

Btw did you know that Sergio Leone appears in the film as one of the priests sheltering from the rain.

I wasn't aware of the Sergio Leone link, small world in them days eh, I'm sure it must have influenced his later work.

I'm just starting to go through films I feel I ought to have seen, any further recommendations?

There was a Russian film made not long after the Russian Revolution but I can't remember what it was called, I saw it back in the 80's. The scene that I recall is one of a baby in a pram going down some steps, although I could be confusing it with another?

Grimbo

Edited by Grim O'Grady

There was a Russian film made not long after the Russian Revolution but I can't remember what it was called, I saw it back in the 80's. The scene that I recall is one of a baby in a pram going down some steps, although I could be confusing it with another?

The Untouchables has that scene but I also remember it somewhere else.

The Untouchables has that scene but I also remember it somewhere else.

Found it

Battleship Potemkin (1925).

I had googled films about the Russian Revolution & found nowt, so I just tried "pram down steps" & f**k me there it was.

Grimbo

Bill

A wee trip to Cineworld with my daughter to watch this yesterday. It was pretty much an extended episode of Horrible Histories. Plenty of laughs throughout, though I think there are probably more laughs for grown ups than kids. Perfectly enjoyable way to pass a bit of time on a Sunday but nothing earth shattering. 7/10