What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

St Vincent - This was nice, good child actor, splendid turn from Bill Murray although i think his stroke sufferer impression was a bit OTT. Melissa McCarthy is really not that annoying at all when she plays it straight. Weird bit with Naomi Watts as a pregnant Russian stripper/prostitute with a hat of gold. Just nice, 7/10.

Watched this last night on Sky Go. Can't argue with anything you said there. The wee lad in it was superb as was Murray. Why oh why can't I ever win anything like they did at the bookies? :lol:

All This Mayhem

Skateboarding documentary about Tas and Ben Pappas and the rise of commercial skateboarding in the 90s. Even if you don't like skateboarding, there are so many twists and turns in this. Absolutely incredible. 9 or even a 10/10.

Punch-Drunk Love 8/10

Quite liked this, mostly because it made me so animated watching some of the payoff moments, which even in itself films rarely do for me. I can totally see why Sandler was so well received in this; I actually felt giddy as f**k at the crowbar moment, as well as SHUT UP.

Inside out 8/10

Went to this with the mrs at the weekend at the new cineworld in silverburn. Only 40 odd seats in the screen which was weird. A woman had placed her small child in one of our seats and gave us the look of you don't expect me to move her do you? Just move your kid to the vacant seat at your left ya daft bam.

When we finally got seated the film was like every other pixar film. Great idea for a film, great voice cast, and lots of little things that only adults will get/notice.

The trailer for the film was awesome and thankfully the whole scene made it into the film. The trailer for frozen in contrast didnt end up in the movie..., it was the best bit aswell.

I loved Fear and Anger, brilliantly voiced by Bill Hader and Lewis Black. Black in particular was perfect as Anger. I knew his voice straight away from watching a Big Bang theory episode where he plays a Professor who goes mental. If you don't like Big Bang, that one scene with black could change your mind.

A few really funny moments near the end.

All in all a good watch which keeps up Pixars fantastic reputation.

The Scorch Trials

I thought this was better than the first one. I think the biggest problem this has is it kind of falls into the middle ground between The Hunger Games and the Divergent series and it really struggles to find an individual voice. If you can separate it from the 'young adult' tag, it's a distinctly watchable film with a very decent young cast. There's some good experience gluing things together well, and the story is progressing at a reasonable pace. I've never read the books so I've no idea what the source material is like, but the characters do feel a little bit generic and the script can be a bit cheesy at times but I'll certainly see out the series.

6/10

Whisky Galore (5/10)

Been on my to-do list for years, the shame of being Scottish and not having seen it. Decent overly-twee fare with accents sounding more Irish than Scottish in places not doing the film any harm. Some particularly funny moments, but passages of dullary too.

Nowhere near the best Scottish movie of all time that some say of it, and one of the lesser Ealing comedies (looks silly when considered beside something like Kind Hearts and Coronets, for example).

Edited by banana

No Escape - Owen Wilson stars as an employee of a company called Cardiff who ends up in a rather sticky situation in Thailand. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the film - maybe being tired meant I didn't think too much about the story but it was a very tense film with a lot of action. The kids in the film annoyed me though - one getting upset about losing her teddy bear as an armed gang of nutters chase them through the hotel shooting everybody else around them :lol:

I knew his voice straight away from watching a Big Bang theory episode where he plays a Professor who goes mental. If you don't like Big Bang, that one scene with black could change your mind.

...and we're not talking Oxnard on the beach!

:lol:

Rear window - 6/10

A man sits at his window mainly perving on everyone .

It's an okay film , certainly not a top 100 film.

1 film to go

Your obviously all filmed out. That is a classic. Hitchcock at his true suspenseful best. If you had seen that film at the start of your marathon I've no doubt you would've came out with a better review.

Your obviously all filmed out. That is a classic. Hitchcock at his true suspenseful best. If you had seen that film at the start of your marathon I've no doubt you would've came out with a better review.

Spot on. It's a classic in more ways than one. The slow build up just isn't done very often any more.

My Hitchcock preference is North by Northwest though.

This is quite a confession coming from a film buff, but I'm currently watching the Star Wars movies for the first time. I've made the rather controversial decision to watch them in episode order. I obviously know the big cinematic reveal with Darth Vader, so I wanted to see the story chronologically.

I suppose I better explain myself a bit, having not watched them before. I just couldn't get over the daft looking characters. Jabba the Hut, Chewwy, Yoda and countless others just made it look like a bit gimmicky to me and I couldn't be arsed with it. I'm also not a massive fan of Sci Fi films, but it does feel like a bit of a gap in my movie back catalogue.

I'm half way through the second one, but I could feel myself fading last night, so decided to stop it and start it again today.

I'd give episode 1 6/10. Some of the acting is suspect and it took me a while to actually grasp what was going on, but I quite enjoyed the movie once it got going. Young Anakin was a pain in the arse though, so I was quite glad to see him replaced for episode 2!

Legend - 7.5/10 - Tom Hardy is fantastic. Film goes on about 20-30 minutes too long, but overall very good.

Men, Women & Children - 8/10 - Watched this after someone on here posted about it and I'd never heard of it before. Thought it was excellent. Adam Sandler needs to grow up gracefully and play these sorts of roles from now on because he does them very well. Which leads me to....

Jack & Jill - 1/10 - Was bored one night and wanted to watch something before I went to my scratcher. Saw this on Netflix so watched it to see if it was really as bad as it looks/people say. It is. Avoid at all costs.

This is quite a confession coming from a film buff, but I'm currently watching the Star Wars movies for the first time. I've made the rather controversial decision to watch them in episode order. I obviously know the big cinematic reveal with Darth Vader, so I wanted to see the story chronologically.

I suppose I better explain myself a bit, having not watched them before. I just couldn't get over the daft looking characters. Jabba the Hut, Chewwy, Yoda and countless others just made it look like a bit gimmicky to me and I couldn't be arsed with it. I'm also not a massive fan of Sci Fi films, but it does feel like a bit of a gap in my movie back catalogue.

I'm half way through the second one, but I could feel myself fading last night, so decided to stop it and start it again today.

I'd give episode 1 6/10. Some of the acting is suspect and it took me a while to actually grasp what was going on, but I quite enjoyed the movie once it got going. Young Anakin was a pain in the arse though, so I was quite glad to see him replaced for episode 2!

On a related note, Im watching Team America tonight for the first ever time