What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The rating system doesn't have much credibility on here anymore when you have posters giving films like Cool Runnings 10/10.

Good film yes, but 10/10? Hardly.

Is watching a film not a subjective experience? If someone gives Cool Runnings 10/10 then so what, it's their opinion not yours or anyone else's. Would you rather people say "well I would have given it a ten, but I've read some forums and looked on IMDB and the consensus seems to be it is more of a 7 so I'm going to give a 7."

Is watching a film not a subjective experience? If someone gives Cool Runnings 10/10 then so what, it's their opinion not yours or anyone else's. Would you rather people say "well I would have given it a ten, but I've read some forums and looked on IMDB and the consensus seems to be it is more of a 7 so I'm going to give a 7."

Yeah, that's exactly what I do.

Maggie - Sombre and affecting little film with Arnie playing an actual real person for maybe the first time. I'm still trying to decide whether the ending was the right one, it does feel like a slight cop out, but the film overall is very good. A few people walked out of the screening I was at, probably expecting an Arnie v zombies generic actioner, which it definitely isnt! 7/10

Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation - second viewing, definitely the best in the series and I'd go as far to say it's one of the best action films of the past 10-15 years. The opera stuff and the whole sequence in Morrocco are superb. The ending doesnt quite live up to what's gone before but there's really very little to fault this. 8/10

Fantastic Four - It's not so much that it's bad (although it is) it's just that it's so boring I'm actually slightly surprised this was allowed to be released as it is. There are occasional flashes of decent stuff in the first half, especially them reacting in horror to their new powers, but it's all skipped over so quickly and the whole final act 'action' is appalling. 3/10

Inside Out - I think this is actually more for adults than (small) kids, it's very clever...the abstract thought sequence is bizarrely brilliant, the throwaway gag about mixing up facts and opinions haha, and I love the dream stuff. It's genuinely emotional too, I'm not one for crying at films normally but this got me, especially at the end. Damn you Pixar. Film of the year so far. 9/10

Last Orders.

Utter,Utter,Utter x 1,000,000. Brilliant old school British film.

Full of top notch, bona fide, proper stars and just a great storyline.

edit.

fuxsake! Thought this was great but then Brighton Rock was on next!

Excuse me whilst I wipe myself on the curtains!

Edited by tinkerbelle

Fantastic Four

Was going to avoid this considering the absolute tanking it has taken by the critics. I do love my Marvel though so went along today with very low expectations. Firstly, it isn't a Marvel film in the way Marvel films have been produced in the last few years. It isn't a throwaway, light, funny, action-packed romp, it is much more of a DC type film in its tone, it is darker, slower and is meant to be a more emotional, character driven story. It doesn't work. There were kids watching it who were clearly bored out of their minds because it tries (way too hard) to build characters and a story rather than the 'here are a load of heroes smashing shit up' approach.

It is easy to see why there were problems during filming and the result is a terribly cut and edited pile of shit. The first 45 minutes is actually pretty decent and there is probably an okay film in there somewhere but the second half of the film is as bad as it gets in terms of comic book films. The CGI is awful and there are scenes that have clearly been reshot and cut in such a way that it is obvious they were forced into the film. There is also the most irritating recurring character who is clearly not chewing gum but is meant to be almost every time we see him and I don't know why it bugged the hell out of me but it did (and just summed up how fake and poorly made the whole thing was). I know that Marvel is trying to distance itself from the film due to just how badly it has been received and they are probably right in doing so, it is so far away from the other recent Marvel films that it doesn't deserve to be anywhere near any of the X-Men or Avengers stuff (the X-Men tie in was on the cards but has been cancelled now apparently)

4/10 (3 for the first 45 minutes, 1 for the rest and that is only because Toby Kebbell is pretty good)

I've still never seen the old Roger Corman faux-movie from the Nineties, but is it fair to say that nobody's produced a better Fantastic Four film than that goofy-looking piece of shit yet?

Coherence - bunch of tremendously annoying yuppie types end up having their dinner party ruined when they gatecrash it themselves. WTF, you say? Oh, there's a comet passing the Earth; quantum physics, Schrodinger's Cat, 'n' aw rat. Duh.

Actually wasn't a bad watch but, by Christ, you'll be hoping that they're all dead by the end.

Edit: I ended up saying end up so much that I ended up editing up what am I like honestly :rolleyes:

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

Coherence is fucking tremendous btw.

I've seen something very similar at some point, so it felt a bit samey. But yeah, it wasn't bad.

Points deduced for leaving everyone alive at the end, however.

I've still never seen the old Roger Corman faux-movie from the Nineties, but is it fair to say that nobody's produced a better Fantastic Four film than that goofy-looking piece of shit yet?

I've caught glimpses of the Roger Corman version (I'm sure it's on YouTube if you want to suffer it) and it's abysmal. I haven't seen the new one but it just seems that nobody can make a good Fantastic Four movie. The Tim Story movies were pretty awful but even they're getting better reviews :lol: