What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Michael Inside (Netflix)

AN independent Irish film in the Ken Loach mould, that follows a teenager given a three month jail term for holding drugs. Fairly depressing watch and a grim look into the prison system, without being particularly graphic. Well made, and two good performances from the boy playing Michael and his granddad.

Ben WAS the library hound in the kids parts of the book and that didn't change going into the movie.
Fair enough. Still think he could've carried that on into Ch. 2 though.

Out of interest, did Billy and Eddie have wives in this film? I'd seen that mentioned elsewhere but they weren't in my stream.

7 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Fair enough. Still think he could've carried that on into Ch. 2 though.

Out of interest, did Billy and Eddie have wives in this film? I'd seen that mentioned elsewhere but they weren't in my stream.

They're both in it briefly. Not surprised you missed em. It's fleeting appearances.

Yesterday. Held off on this one for a while, and am pretty glad I didn't go to the cinema specially. Sure, it's a Danny Boyle flick, so it's at least competent, but...

Premise was interesting, and delivered efficiently if not spectacularly. Nice gag on Oasis, which Mrs WRK missed, but Rosette 3 and I laughed at.  Then we became more and more aware of a whiff of formula about the whole thing, before realising we were watching Four Weddings in Notting Hill, Actually.

As if the Curtis romcom-by-numbers vibe wasn't bad enough, along comes Ed Sheeran. Ed "can't handle less than a minute and one line in GoT" Sheeran. With an actual "not a cameo, an actual part with speaking and everything" role. Fúck me.

The initial idea could have been turned into a classic film, but we've ended up with the worst waste of raw materials since Underworld fúcked up Vampires Vs. Werewolves.

I'm willing to be corrected, but I'm fairly sure one of that ginger cúnt's songs near the end got more time than any Beatles composition. Farcical.

Tonight, we'll be watching Across The Universe - Rosette 3 hadn't heard of it, and asked, "well, what kind of film would you have made, Dad?" Had I the talent, this is the answer. At the very least, it treats the songs with respect, and there's no fucking Sheeran. Bit of Bono and a smidgeon of Izzard easily offset by Salma Hayek.

Hustlers (2019)- I went into this with very very low expectations and I was actually pleasantly surprised, it wasn’t the steaming pile of shit I thought it would be.

Tells an interesting story about strippers turning into con-woman from the point of view of an interview. It had some pretty funny moments but the story itself was interesting and I’ll probably go read about the scandal it’s based on now. Oh and Ushers cameo is self-aware class.

J-Lo actually plays her part pretty well as lead con-woman and Constance Wu is decent as right hand woman. Only negative I’d say is perhaps the run time, maybe a tad too long. 6.5/10

On 06/09/2019 at 13:22, KnightswoodBear said:

Despite some awful plotting choices, I quite like Darkness.  I think Beyond is a lot of fun.

As for the worst ST film.  V, shirley??

I loved the first two thirds of Darkness, until it turned in to a Wrath of Khan parody.

giphy.gif

I know I'm mostly going to be on my own on this, but I really enjoyed IT Part II. Loved the book, and this part is closer to the format of it (lower case) with the flashbacks adding to your investment in the characters.

I expect anyone who hasn't read it/IT will take less from the film, which will likely hurt how it's viewed overall. Arguably it's a little 'fan servicey' and I was lapping that up happily.

That said, I'm reading the last Dark Tower book just now and suffering a little from King overexposure. Had to laugh in disbelief when Bill went to get his childhood bike back...

Ad Astra

Hmm. The pace of this is definitely a bit of a challenge. Outside of that, I enjoyed it a fair bit. It's a fairly simple main plot wrapped up with some other stuff. Visually, both in space and on earth, there's some stunning stuff going on here. The plot is definitely involving enough, and that definitely helped to keep me interested. As did a stunner of a central performance from Brad Pitt.

7/10

On 23/09/2019 at 16:47, morrison said:

I know I'm mostly going to be on my own on this, but I really enjoyed IT Part II. Loved the book, and this part is closer to the format of it (lower case) with the flashbacks adding to your investment in the characters.

I expect anyone who hasn't read it/IT will take less from the film, which will likely hurt how it's viewed overall. Arguably it's a little 'fan servicey' and I was lapping that up happily.

That said, I'm reading the last Dark Tower book just now and suffering a little from King overexposure. Had to laugh in disbelief when Bill went to get his childhood bike back...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the TV version suffered from the problem that you could not film the most pivotal scene in the book. A combination of sfx limitations and the predictable outrage from the MORAL MAJORITY types rendered it impossible to render faithfully.

I have refused to watch the lastest attempt due to the "hobbitisation" idea of splitting the story up into separate income streams. How do they eventually vanquish the old fúcker in this version? I'm willing to bet it's still not faithful to King's original story.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Caught this last night on Film 4.

A total WTF film. It opens with a shot of an actual human heart beating and lingers on it for an uncomfortably long time, which is very much on purpose.

The dialogue is bizarre and spoken in a way real people would never talk, with folk seemingly oddly emotionless.

Colin Farrell is the lead and plays a cardiologist who has an odd relationship with a young guy. He's got a wife (Nicole Kidman) and two kids who all talk in the same, strange stilted manner, like bad actors reading a bad translation. That's all on purpose as well though.

The son becomes ill, then the daughter, leading to shit unravelling and Farrell's character desperately trying to deny that he must make an awful decision, the process of which seems to humanise him more. 

A fucking nuts film. Get it seen. 8/10. It loses a point for a truly harrowing anecdote in which Farrell admits to his son that he wanked off his sleeping old man once as he thought that he (Farrell) didn't spunk a big enough load and wanted to see what was the normal volume of ejaculate. 

Spoilers at the bottom of the post, so if you have any issues with the app then don't scroll down!

It turns out that Farrell's character was an alcoholic previously and that the kid he has a weird relationship with is the son of man who died during surgery a few years back. Farrell's character later admits to having had two drinks before the surgery but it's never clear if that was the cause of the death. The kid is a creepy weirdo and starts demanding more and more time of Farrell, and when Farrell doesn't give it shit happens. Farrell's son loses the use of his legs. The creepy kid tells Farrell that his son will then refuse food then bleed from the eyes then die, and the same will happen to his daughter and his wife, unless Farrell kills one of them.

Farrell doesn't believe it but when his son refuses food and his daughter then loses use of her legs he starts to realise it's real. It's never explained how this all happens, but the creepy kid says it's because Farrell killed his dad.

Things get worse until the son starts bleeding from the eyes.

Farrell decides to tie up and gag his family then sit then around the living room before placing pillow cases over their heads. He then pulls a hat over his eyes then spins round and round, and when he stops shoots, blindly, with the hunting rifle he's carrying. Watch to find out what happens.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

A rock musical about an East Berlin transvestite who plays in a rock band in America. Hedwig and her band are touring across the country but their tour is mirroring that of an actual rock star called Tommy Gnosis who, it transpires, has stolen all of Hedwig's songs. Whilst he plays actual venues, they play restaurants. 

Hedwig's backstory, explored through the songs, is bizarre, harrowing and hilarious (like being made to play in the oven as a child because his and his mother's apartment was so small). It's a pretty funny film ("I remember my first gig. They threw tomatoes at me. After the show I had a lovely salad.") and the songs are pretty fucking good!

One of the main characters looks and dresses like X-Pac and at one point Hedwig wears a top with the Brahma Bull on it. 

An odd film and some real WTF moments, but definitely entertaining and definitely worth a watch.

7/10

Edited by DA Baracus

Hotel Mumbai

Tough watch. Spent most of it wanting someone to knock out the terrorist guys.
Respect to the chefs and staff of the hotel who sacrificed themselves to save guests.
Not really sure what the point of making the film was. It's just a sad waste of life.
The ringleaders still haven't been caught.

Ad Astra

A few nods to other sci-fi films including Interstellar, 2001, Gravity and the storyline is very much based on Apocalypse Now. Brad Pitt is solid throughout the film which has a few plot holes and I thought the Mayday diversion could have been left out but it's a decent watch and just about the right length at 2 hours. I'd give it a solid  7/10