What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Wackness(2008)

Says more about me than anything, I know, but I don't think I could let myself watch any film called The Wackness.

The fucking Wackness, for Christ's sake :blink:

The Inbetweeners 2:

First time watching it since I saw it in the cinema. Some of the jokes are ridiculous and nonsensical, the plot is pretty thin and it is, all in all, a stupid movie. Despite all that I struggled to hate it. Some of the outlandish jokes were pretty funny and it was pretty much what you'd expect of an Inbetweeners movie even if it was less funny than most of the TV episodes.

6/10

Watched a movie called Creep on Netflix. Fucked up stuff. Basically a videographer meets a guy, and it's not quite as it seems. The entire thing just feels wrong and the movie never loses its sense of impending madness. Well worth your time and a stellar 9/10 effort.

Amy.

The last days of Amy Winehouse presented in a series of off screen interviews and media/home footage.

I'm no particular fan of hers, but if you regard addiction as an illness, it's incredibly sad. You have this talented but very naive woman just descending into hell, and her husband and her father actively encouraging it. Nobody other than her bodyguard did the first thing to help her.

There are several scenes which are uncomfortable to watch, especially the paparazzi scenes which I gather are unedited.

One of the saddest things I've seen in a while. There's a scene with Tony Bennett (the only person who comes out of it with any credit) which is heartbreaking.

Recommended.

7/10

http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/killing-season/

Not a film as such but a three parter of Australian political back stabbing.

The Thick of It played out in real, the protagonists not even attempting to hide their complete hatred of each other - and a sense absolutely everyone is lying through their teeth.

10/10 gripping television, even for someone who knows nothing about Australian politics (i.e. me, in fact not knowing the story will help).

Also - apologies if this is the wrong place. Wanted to recommend but didn't know where else to put it...

Watched a movie called Creep on Netflix. Fucked up stuff. Basically a videographer meets a guy, and it's not quite as it seems. The entire thing just feels wrong and the movie never loses its sense of impending madness. Well worth your time and a stellar 9/10 effort.

I just watched that, oddly enough. Thought it was OK, but maybe a bit generic and didn't really go anywhere surprising. Felt a little like I'd seen it before.

Worth pointing out that it's a found footage film, as that's enough to put some folk off on their own. Or make weirdos like me p***k up their ears :P

Ant-Man

I am a Marvel fan and a Paul Rudd fan but was really worried that this was going to be rubbish (in particular because the trailer has been on loop in the cinemas for months). I was really pleasantly surprised though. A bit different than the usual Marvel film just in the way it had to be different due to the whole 'man becomes the size of an ant' stuff. Lots of good visual comedy and a good script.

7/10

Loved Ant-Man. Love the irony that one of Paul Rudds most serious roles is easily one of his best comedies too, Marvel really are outstanding at getting humour into things.

Ending felt rushed and a little predictable, but origin films are always a little like that, a very enjoyable nights viewing all round

Fury:

Pretty predictable with the majority of the main cast being dicks but I still felt it grasped the concept of the ugly side of war due to how graphic it was and the claustrophobic feel of the tank. Despite the movie trying to keep focus on the entire tank crew, the movie couldn't take it's eyes of Brad Pitt's character. I personally didn't feel his character deserved the attention and it should've been spent engaging with the other members of the crew. That said I still thought it was a good way to spend a couple of hours and I've seen worse movies.

7/10

Dead Snow - waited far too long to watch this; it's rather fun. A group of Norwegian buddies are attacked by Nazi zombies at a remote ski lodge hideaway. The makers were obviously greatly inspired by the Evil Dead films and Braindead, with one of the characters even wearing a T-shirt promoting the latter, and the film stands up quite nicely against them. Frankly, I only watched this one because I'd heard such good things about the sequel, so this was a very pleasant surprise, full of outrageous gore and humour that really takes off in the second half.

Monsters: Dark Continent - got to be honest; I only watched the first 45 minutes of this. I really quite enjoyed the original, with its burgeoning love/friendship story played out against the backdrop of beautiful, terrifying alien creatures occupying Mexico, but the sequel's a different matter altogether. It comes across as though the film-makers really wanted to do one of those arslikhan propaganda films about noble Marines combating terrorism in the Middle-East, so they did, and just stuck some aliens in the background. No doubt great if that's what you're into, but complete anathema to me. I'll watch Full Metal Jacket if I want to see American soldiers yelling abuse at each other and acting like c***s. Apologies if it improves in the second half, but it wasn't showing any signs of doing so.

Amélie.

Surely no one needs an introduction to this film, although that's what I had tonight. Despite hearing about and reading about it, I had never seen it before tonight.

It's an absolutely wonderful film. Everything about it works. The music, the shots, the colour, the pacing. It's beautifully made and fantastically executed. Truly a film to love and to inspire dreams.

9/10

Coherence (8/10)

House dinner party turns weird when a comet passing overhead causes blackout and metaphysical shenanigans a-go-go. Freaky tension built from the opening scenes, almost horror like. Thought provoking beyond the actual scope of the film.

Time Lapse (5/10)

Primer-type low-budget 'time warping' affair. Interesting premise taken in pretty meh, juvenile directions, but watchable until the end. Too many plot holes, but nice last 10 minutes and clever final scene.

Time Lapse 2 - Dudes post the lottery numbers on day 1 and retire to the Caribbean shortly after.

Whiplash:

Thought I'd give this a shot based on the strength of the reviews on here. I think I was expecting a bit too much from those reviews so I was left a little disappointed. Still a thoroughly decent film but wasn't as good as I'd hoped. 7/10

The Maze Runner:

Saw it advertised on Sky and put it on. Pretty average and the ending was pretty unsatisfying as I have no real desire to watch the sequel when it comes out. 5/10

Jurassic World - 7/10

Dragged to this by a mate but was a lot better than I expected. Acting in it is appalling at times but its brainless fun.

Austin To Boston - 8/10

Documentary following Ben Howard, The Staves, Nathaniel Rateliff and Bear's Den on a VW Camper Van tour. Rating for the soundtrack and Nathaniel Rateliff alone. Guy is such a dude.