What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Spy

I went into this thinking it would be another Melissa McCarthy shitfest, but it's actually really funny. Proper belly laughs too.

Jason Statham is excellent in comedies. He should stick to them more - his action films are quite dreadful.

8/10

Spy

Absolute comedy magic here. Truly wonderful, with all of the leads being incredible. Melissa McCarthy is the standout though. Utterly hilarious from the first minute and it doesn't let up.

9/10

I'm surprised to see this getting such high ratings, didn't have high hopes for it at all. Will be giving it a go now.

The Lone Survivor

Pretty decent film, true story of a group of Navy Seals in Afghanistan and the events that unfold on a mission to capture a Taliban leader. Action is very good but the dialogue is a touch iffy and leans a little towards the "America...f**k yeh" thing but a good watch ....7/10

We need to talk about Kevin

Noticed this was on iPlayer (didn't realise you could watch full length films on there!) and thought it was worth a punt.

A creepy film with a distorted timeline showing the tumultuous relationship between mother and son, which leads to breaking point for the entire family. Eery flashbacks juxtaposed with present-day clips, leave you thinking wtf but heighten the the everlasting effects on Eva.

Really enjoyable. Shocked that Tilda Swinton was ~50 at time of film. Stunning woman. 8/10.

Inbetweeners 2

Not great sequel , much preffered the first, a few good bits,some of the stuff with Neil was complete pish, i can see why it ended . 4/10

As a long-serving Inbetweeners fan I've seen this three times now, and I much prefer it to the first, which is funny, but it's "capers in Greece", and not a lot else.

This one took them on a mission, not just getting outrageous with bodily fluids, but making genuinely witty social statements and observations (I especially like the married couple who are clearly on a doomed "make-or-break" holiday.) It's also got some of the most inventive stuff I saw in any film of last year: Morris and Beesley turned out to be better filmmakers than Ben Palmer, who directed the programme and the first film. Naturally some of it is completely ridiculous and contrived- but it wouldn't be The Inbetweeners without it.

Trying to put my biases aside I'd give I2 an 8.5/10.

Jurassic World - no need for a synopsis. Mind that Spielberg film with the dinosaurs you saw twenty-odd years ago? Aye, same thing.

There's been rumours since Jurassic Park 3 that Universal wanted to wait for a really good story before making another film in the series. Well, now that the fourth is out, it's pretty obvious that they were just waiting for the public to get interested in dinosaurs again, because this is just a remake of the original for a new generation. The new plot addition is that InGen have been dabbling with creating dinosaurs that had never existed before and, whaddaya know, turns out it was a bad idea. It adds little to the story, other than a new big monster to look at.

InGen are also involved in a brewing civil war, with an alarmingly gone-to-seed Vincent D'Onofrio responsible for coming up with terrible ideas for militarising dinosaurs, which puts them on the same nonsensical batshit insanity list as the Umbrella Corporation and their mutant zombie virus that kills everyone indiscriminately. Happily a couple of cardboard cut-outs played by Starlord and Bryce Dallas Howard are on hand to <INSERT GENERIC CHARACTER HERE>. Starlord's charisma just about gets him through, but Howard's stuck with the "soulless uptight careerwoman about to have a life-affirming wake-up call" routine. Naturally, she strips down to a tank top when the going gets tough, and has no problem outrunning dinosaurs while wearing high heels, whether in field or on concrete. There's also the kids you've come to expect from a Jurassic Park film - annoying, with way too much time spent focusing on them, and you really wouldn't give a shit if they died by the end. Which they don't - that's not a spoiler; it's a fucking Jurassic Park film, you'd have to be completely unfamiliar with the media of film in order to expect anything other to happen.

So, poor characters and plot, but also an inordinate amount of navel-gazing, with locations and references to the first film scattered around willy-nilly without adding anything to the experience whatsoever, apart from attracting unflattering comparisons. Worth seeing? Well, it has expensively-rendered CGI dinosaurs fighting each other, which is probably all anyone's turning up to see from these films. It's very mediocre otherwise, and isn't an improvement on any of its predecessors. The wean seemed curiously unimpressed afterwards and wished we'd gone to see Spy instead - if that isn't a damning verdict, I don't know what is.

Why is it damning? Spy is fucking brilliant.

Will take your word for it - just saw a trailer for it last time the wean was at the cinema and thought it looked dreadful.

Put it this way; when a kid who loves monster movies and dinosaurs, even stuff like Jurassic Shark, would rather have seen a Melissa McCarthy comedy, something's up.

Mad Max Fury Road. 5/10. Very silly dialogue light CGI fest, almost comedic. How it has garnered such hype is beyond me, great film for 15/16 years olds.

Montage of Heck, 7/10. Kurt Cobain was an intensely creative artistic genius, driven to express his angst and this film shows that. You can see the breakdown and tragic trajectory he was on, although the film ends without much comment on his suicide which for what is supposed to be the ultimate visual document of his life I found a bit odd.

I just watched sweet sixteen

Just watchable

Good film. Had been years since i had seen it though, and was pissing myself laughing at the 2 dogs being called 'Hairy Baws' and 'Nae Baws'. :thumsup2