What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I'm a massive horror buff but felt the last 10 year or so has been overly 'ghost' orientated if that makes sense. And that doesn't cut it for me. Stuff like The Conjuring, Paranormal Activities etc just don't cut it for me personally.

Don't know how old Martyrs is but if it's not too old (Post Blair Witch era) that's probably the best horror I've seen before It Follows. Then before that it'd probably be the likes of the Japanese version of The Ring and the Hong Kong (I think) version of The Eye.

I've really not dug the likes of Sinister or Insidious or anything that has a Poltergeist-y feel to it.

Edited by Ludo *1

Ive just watched It Follows and i cant say i was overly impressed with it, to be honest. I much prefer horrors like The Conjuring though there are similarities. The ending was a bit meh as well though ive read that their is a possibility of a sequel so thats makes sense

Ps how many times does the lassie get pumped in this?? Her fanny would be like a stood on lasagne!

Oh, and that's two absolutely cracking movies the lead lass in It Follows has been in now. Last year seen her play a big role in The Guest.

Both movies actually have really similar scores. A very 80s synthy thriller feel to the pair of them.

Those two movies felt so similar in style, score and themes that I assumed they were directed by the same person...they weren't.

There's been a load of decent horror movies down the years. I'd suggest that they simply don't like horror movies, and so It Follows probably won't appeal.

I've just not really seen one that jumps up from decent. I feel that too many of the scenes in them are just manufactured to be jump scares. Fair enough if the thing making you jump is scary but most of the time it's like "Haha, we got you. You thought it was the ghost but really it was his/her friend/not the ghost." Just from my experience anyway.

Might need to watch It Follows. I don't particularly like the horror genre but I absolutely loved The Guest (though not a horror) and if they're similar it might kick-start a liking for them.

Chappie 8.5/10

I fucking loved this. Wouldnt say i was a massive fan of Bloomkamp though i have watched District 9, Elysium etc but this was terrific. Set in the near future, robots are taking the place of police officers on the front line in crime stricken Jo-burg. Dev Patel is the one who has designed them however he comes up with a new model which incorporates AI.

The way that Chappie starts as a baby and learns quickly as well as its interactions with humans (mostly bad) whilst trying to be a 'good boy' is both heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.

One of the most enjoyable films ive watched for a wee while now

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Brilliant!,loved ever part of it, after seeing this and Fantastic Mr Fox I can honestly say I'm in the Wes Anderson camp,

One thing was I couldn't believe that Fiennes wasn't nominated for best actor at the Oscars,fantastic performance. :o

10/10

Martha Marcy May Marlene:

Really fucked up movie. Some of it is excellent and has some frightening moments playing on the psychological vulnerability of Martha (Elizabeth Olsen was great in the movie). The way the story is told is done well and it wouldn't really work any other way but I still feel like there was more to it, especially at the start where nothing of note truly happened. If the movie wanted to be a horror and developed the horror elements then I think it'd be an excellent movie but the very slow start and scenes that felt unnecessarily drawn-out hindered its chances of that. Still very good though.

8/10

Margin Call - on iplayer just now.

Film fictionalising the 2007 crash from within an investment bank. Set over one day, it has that ensemble feel with more than a touch of Glengarry Glen Ross about it, including Kevin Spacey playing another "company man" middle manager type enforcing the misery from above.

What stopped me getting really into it was the patronising plot and character exposition going on throughout the whole thing. At one point Jeremy Irons asks someone to explain the situation to him like a child, which was a bit unnecessary as the film's entire dialogue was explaining everything to the audience like a child. You've got a Junior Analyst who is somehow a complete idiot that doesn't understand anything and usefully has every detail explained to him throughout. An hour in he observes that this is going to impact on everyone huh - half an hour after Irons' character has talked about the end of capitalism in front of him. Paul Bettany - who pretty much steals the show - does an admirable job of saving some excruciating character insight dialogue like "I'm really dark" and "f**k normal people". There's a few monologues that you can tell are meant to be really cutting Network-like moments of genius but they didn't really do it for me.

An enjoyable enough 6.5. Had the potential to be a really great film but didn't quite pull it off.

Ex Machina

Weirdo CEO builds robots and ends up pumping them, gets bored and invites a colleague and messes with his head.

Nice effects but poor obvious storyline.

I like Garland but this was overrated a little.

6/10

What We Do In The Shadows

Funniest film i've seen in donkeys. A New Zealand made mockumentary following four vampire flatmates as they argue over who's turn it is to do the washing up and other day to day nonsense. I was a giggling mess from start to finish. 9/10

Edited by Jupiter Jazz

War of the Worlds - 7/10

Old film about Martians in spaceships at war. Not much else to it but it tells a molecularly small story, sad ending :-(

A Million Ways To Die In The West

Basically the same humour as Family Guy, some very funny moments mixed with some gross out stuff, and a sprinkling of meh! Good enough watch 7/10.

I'm a massive Family Guy fan, but I thought Ted was awful so I didn't bother seeing this. Maybe I should give it a try.