What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Guest.

8.5/10

great film and the soundtrack is a belter

Just finished watching it myself and thoroughly enjoyed it. A wee bit 80's in style and a bit cheesy at times but I thought it was great fun. I did laugh out loud on a couple of occasions as well.

I'm also going to give it an 8.5.

Switch to American Netflix. Just did it myself and, hoo-baby! The catalogue of movies is about four or five times bigger, and not stuffed full of Sci-Fi Channel shite like it is here.

How do you go about doing that? I'm on PS4. Does it remain the same amount each month?

2001: a space oddessy 10/10 Spoilers ahoy

Missed this in the dca last month so got it out for a watch as not seen it in a few years. One of my all time favourite films. It's a very slow paced film, starts with a black screen and some weird sounds for about 3-4 mins before anything starts.

The first part depicts the dawn of mankind being influenced by an alien artefact and is quite well done, if a little long. The monkey/human thing smashing up the carcass with a bone is a great scene. It eventually transitions to its view of a future 1990s and you have the great scene of the space station set to the blue danube. You're probably going a good 30 to 40 minutes before you get any dialogue, but its just so great to look at.

The monolith from before has been found in an excavation site on the moon, which emits a strong radio signal that we later discover is pointing them to Jupiter. So this transitions us into the main part of the film. The manned mission to Jupiter.

The spaceship is effectively run by the HAL9000 supercomputer, which has an artificial intelligence interface. Unfortunately HAL begins to malfunction and finds out the the astronauts are considering disconnecting his AI interface. Well the shit hits the fan as HAL cuts one astronauts lifeline during a spacewalk and locks the other one out the ship after he goes to investigate what happened.

Well the guy makes it back on board and starts to disconnect HAL in what is a fairly brutal and relentless scene, with the computer trying everything it can to save itself. What a fantastic character HAL9000 is.

We move into the head f**k visualisation part of the film which seems to depict the various wonders of the universe and eventually the finale where everything links full circle back to the earth.

It's a Stanley Kubrik film so uses the audio and visual elements to tell the story more than dialogue, the music choices also fit perfectly.

My summary of the plot doesn't really do the underlying themes and narratives of it any justice, but even without all that, the film is quite stunning and I just enjoy experiencing it. Wish I could have gone to watch it in the cinema.

Taken 3

Generic and poorly made. The whole thing was a mess.

3/10

Foxcatcher

This was a film I had been looking forward to for months. It is wonderfully put together and features some fantastic performances (Ruffalo in particular). I was engaged throughout and the story is fascinating but it didn't quite live up to the expectations I had for it (so maybe my own fault really). It won't be for everyone as it is very slow at times but it certainly was a film worth watching for me.

7/10

The Birdman - 1/10

Without trying to be controversial, this is one of the worst movies ive ever been subjected to. Id been looking forward to this since i spotted the trailer a while back on IMDB but it was horrific despite what is a stellar cast of Michael Keaton, Ed Norton, Emma Stone, Naomi Watts and Zach Galfinakis. How anybody made it through this film and mananged to sleep that night without the sound of that constant drumming is be a miracle and im stumped as to why it has such a high rating on IMDB

How do you go about doing that? I'm on PS4. Does it remain the same amount each month?

Took me a bit of dicking around, but you have to change the DNS settings on your router to make the website think you're in the US. You can find free DNS servers to point to, but Netflix block them regularly (apparently), so there are places that you can pay for access to DNS servers which are guaranteed to work. I signed up with Unblock-US but others are available. Then, you just go to the NetFlix app (or website) and the US selection comes up. You'll know the difference as the recommended titles will be full of stuff that doesn't come up in the UK.

It's one of those loopholes that NetFlix currently don't give a shit about. They have licences to show certain titles in certain regions, but no doubt they tell the licencees that they've taken steps to restrict access from other regions (which they have), and that'll continue until the right holders start kicking up a big stink about it. In other words, they don't ban anyone for doing this :P

The wife and me watched American Sniper last night, not bad but you'll be disappointed if you read the book as I did. Only about 30% of the book made it in to the movie with one of the main story lines of the movie completely fabricated.

6/10

The wife and me watched American Sniper last night, not bad but you'll be disappointed if you read the book as I did. Only about 30% of the book made it in to the movie with one of the main story lines of the movie completely fabricated.

6/10

I watched it on friday. Cant say i was impressed with it in all honesty. It was a decent enough film but after watching the trailer, i thought it was gonna be more of a "Lone Survivor" type film than what it was. Maybe the fact it was set over a period of years and didnt show as much of his home life as opposed to his army life made it difficult to have the relevant sympathy for his wife and kids

Birdman

I hadn't read any of the reviews for this, however, I had heard that it is in the running to win a few major awards this year. It's not that bad a film, although I have seen better. Michael Keaton and Edward Norton are great in this.

8/10

Gone Girl

I wasn't sure about watching this as quite a few people claimed you had to read the book first. It is a great film, with some great scenes and acting. (I'm struggling to not give away any of the movie). Any film that can make Tyler Perry look like a great actor, deserves great reviews.

9/10

Did so well with the review of Birdman until the rank arrogance of "how did it get such a rating"

Tastes are different. Get over it.

Im over it mate. Didnt mean to come across as arrogant, i was just surprised its achieved such a high rating and the message board on the film has a lot of people agreeing. In the end, its all about opinions and mines was that i hated it.

Tonight im going for Unbroken which is another film ive been looking foward to for a while

Unbroken 9/10

Fantastic, just simply fantastic. Jack O'Connell is superb as an olympian who is involved in a fighter plane crash across Japanese waters during WW2. He endures nearly 7 weeks at sea before becoming a POW in Tokyo where hes tortured relentlessly by the devil like sergeant. One of the best films ive seen for a while, highly recommended

Gone Girl - 6/10 - This was clever in many places and was helped by some great performances from most of the main cast but ultimately it missed the mark for me in the end. The ending was just baffling to me but there was some great twists and turns throughout that were really good.

Edge of Tomorrow - 6/10 - Again another that was decent but missed the mark for me. Decent action set pieces and a cool premise but I just didnt click with it.

The theory of everything

New film about Stephen Hawking. Eddie Redmayne was excellent as Hawking and the music was brilliant. First time in the GFT too, very comfortable.

8/10

Watched two animes over the weekend too. Don't usually watch them but these were recommended, and were worth it.

Grave of the fireflies

Anime on how a boy and his younger sister coped during WW II in Japan. Excellent.

9/10

The wind rises

One of Miyazaki's. I download a couple but could only choose one to shove on my hard-drive and this was the lucky dip. Story about a guy and his two loves: to build the ultimate plane and a mysterious girl.

Very enjoyable 8/10