What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Just watched the Blues Brothers again. Might not me the best film in the world, but it has made me smile today!

I love the Blues Brothers. One of my favourite films ever. Music is great and the whole round film is class. I'm no sure how many times I've watched it but love it every time.

The Bill's are unbelievably good films imo. If you've got the time I think it helps to watch them back to back.

Thought QT had rubbished the idea of a third though? :unsure:

Yeah I've watched them a day apart, I've watched them a few time before and they don't get boring.

I thought that but I came across this - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1521225/

Always loved the Clark Kent, Superman comparison at the end

I thought the second one was pretty poor until Bill's Superman monologue. Personally, I think it's one of the top five Tarantino scenes.

Edited by yoda

Godzilla (2014)

Before I start I'm going to give a pretty major spoiler away that definitely had a negative impact on my viewing of the film:

Bryan Cranston, the best actor and indeed most interesting character in the film is killed off after about 30 minutes! FFS. Thought it'd be a great film up until that point.

So that was pretty poor tbh. After that it was still better than your average monster spectacle and a lot better than the 1998 adaptation from what I can remember. The film started off with a very good plot but quickly faded into a cliché ridden action film, complete with a Hollywood kiss and dramatic music at the end which was disappointing and unoriginal.

Still, very decent though and Bryan Cranston was by far the bright spot in the film.

6/10.

I thought the second one was pretty poor until Bill's Superman monologue. Personally, I think it's one of the top five Tarantino scenes.

No offence, but I've always thought that was awful, along with the whole Shogun-Assassin-as-bedtime-story thing. The former just seemed like Tarantino dumping his own dialogue into the mouth of a character that would never have said it, and the latter came across as a fantasy of what he'd like to do if he had children.

Then again, I hated the Five Finger Death Punch thing too; seemed like a really anticlimactic end to four hours building up to a final battle between the two characters. Bah, humbug, etc.

Godzilla (2014)

Before I start I'm going to give a pretty major spoiler away that definitely had a negative impact on my viewing of the film:

Bryan Cranston, the best actor and indeed most interesting character in the film is killed off after about 30 minutes! FFS. Thought it'd be a great film up until that point.

So that was pretty poor tbh. After that it was still better than your average monster spectacle and a lot better than the 1998 adaptation from what I can remember. The film started off with a very good plot but quickly faded into a cliché ridden action film, complete with a Hollywood kiss and dramatic music at the end which was disappointing and unoriginal.

Still, very decent though and Bryan Cranston was by far the bright spot in the film.

6/10.

Agreed about Bryan Cranston; they had nothing to replace him with. Excellent performance too.

Gareth Edwards' Monsters is probably a better film, IMO, but this Godzilla pissed all over the 1998 film; really surprised that anybody has fond memories of that one, TBH. The amazing disappearing giant lizard, Matthew Broderick, excessive emphasis on annoying characters, the general feel of levity, the Godzilla babies thrown in to appeal to the fans of Jurassic Park's raptors...no, just no. Fair enough if you were a kid when it came out, but I can't believe any adults enjoyed that.

Hopefully the new one will get a sequel, and hopefully it'll provide a more compelling story (as much as they can, anyway). Oh, and why the hell was the Statue of Liberty in the trailer? Just a nod to Cloverfield (of which there were a few in the film itself)?

Anyway...big green lizard :wub:

BigFatTabbyDave, on 17 May 2014 - 12:26, said:

Agreed about Bryan Cranston; they had nothing to replace him with. Excellent performance too.

Gareth Edwards' Monsters is probably a better film, IMO, but this Godzilla pissed all over the 1998 film; really surprised that anybody has fond memories of that one, TBH. The amazing disappearing giant lizard, Matthew Broderick, excessive emphasis on annoying characters, the general feel of levity, the Godzilla babies thrown in to appeal to the fans of Jurassic Park's raptors...no, just no. Fair enough if you were a kid when it came out, but I can't believe any adults enjoyed that.

Hopefully the new one will get a sequel, and hopefully it'll provide a more compelling story (as much as they can, anyway). Oh, and why the hell was the Statue of Liberty in the trailer? Just a nod to Cloverfield (of which there were a few in the film itself)?

Anyway...big green lizard :wub:

Not seen Monsters but think Cloverfield is probably the best in the big massive monster genre. Gets a bit of an unfair rep because it's in the much maligned 'shaky camera' style but think that's a cracker of a film.

Godzilla annoyed me because it had so much potential at the beginning but just went with the usual tropes and made it an action/adventure with the most boring and bland lead character known to man.

Edited by Ludo *1

Paranormal Entity - one of the genre of straight-to-video movies with titles almost the same as blockbusters, designed to take money from the short-sighted and careless. Like its inspiration, this is a supernatural found-footage extravaganza, played out by a family who've just lost their father. There's nothing really to discern this from Paranormal Activity, other than it's criminally boring, despite superficially having more action. Really struggled to give a damn about what was happening, and was happy when it finished.

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones - in the vein of the other four films in the series, poltergeisty things start happening in somebody's house, and the being responsible shows a particular interest in one member of the household. Oh, and there's someone who MUST DOCUMENT THIS PEOPLE WILL WANT TO KNOW! The main difference this time is that it's an average Hispanic family in an apartment block, rather than the usual wealthy white folks in the massive mansion.

After the miserable fourth installment, I wasn't expecting much from this, so it came as a nice surprise. Not really a lot of scares to be had, but the story ties in with the main overarching storyline quite nicely, and the characters make for pleasant companions during the running time. Definitely the best since the second film.

Not seen Monsters but think Cloverfield is probably the best in the big massive monster genre. Gets a bit of an unfair rep because it's in the much maligned 'shaky camera' style but think that's a cracker of a film.

Very, very agree. That was a cracker in the cinema. Better than the new Godzilla film, although it does bring a tear to the eye to see the big green guy again :wub:

Godzilla (2014)

6/10.

I agree about your spoiler.

I was utterly shocked when he died, perhaps that's what they were going for. I did think it was weird that in the opening credits (which were cool as f**k, btw), it had him listed at the end with "and Bryan Cranston".

Pretty much agree with yours, I'd probably rate it a 7 personally.

Cranston's scene where he's in what looks like a supply closet with a one way mirror was fantastic.