What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Island of Death - tepid shocker that tries to touch on as many taboos as possible in an attempt to offend. Flick follows a couple sadistically torturing their way around Mykonos until eventual (and disappointing) retribution at the end. There's very little to the plot other than that, although you could edit out the 'controversial' moments and make a decent travel video for the island. Would make for a more interesting film too.

Incidentally, I remember catching Nico Mastorakis' last movie .com for Murder on the telly a while back - what a fucking shocker that was. One of the worst films I'd ever seen in every way possible. It made this one look like a potential Oscar winner. Sad to see a career finish at such a low ebb, even if it wasn't stellar to begin with.

Anchorman 2 - not quite as bad as some of you guys have suggested, IMO. It was never going to be as funny as the original, but it still has its moments. The random scattergun improvised dialogue doesn't hit the target anything like as often as it did before. They just about got away with it this time, but they'd really be milking it to try for a third.

This Is The End was actually quite good.

It's worth watching for Danny McBride alone.

"Hermione just stole all our shit"

Go into it expecting a daft film with a cast basically fucking about then you won't be disappointed.

Barton Fink - actually really enjoyed it, but it's pretty mental towards the end.

Barton Fink is brilliant, I watched it for the first time a couple of months back.

John Goodman and/or John Tuturo + the Coen brothers = Gold.

Edit: Oh and the last half an hour really is delightfully nuts.

Edited by captainkev

The Fog - the remake/cash-in. Hopefully made a good wedge for John Carpenter; the man has been responsible for so many good films that he deserves it. The picture itself is totally unnecessary and weaker than the original in every way, including effects. Any changes to the script are to the detriment of the story, and there are plenty of poor casting choices and performances. A thoroughly average and uninspired movie with no sense of creative spark whatsoever.

Oblivion - decent sci-fi actioner about the aftermath of an alien invasion that destroys the moon, practically wiping out life on Earth. Tom Cruise is the last man on (or hovering above) Earth, and is in charge of gathering resources to supply the remaining human colony on Saturn's moon Titan. It becomes pretty clear that shenanigans are taking place and, whaddaya know, that's exactly what's going down.

The movie's a big effects spectacular, most of which is spooged on post-apocalyptic environments that are curiously (but necessarily, I guess) devoid of detail. Apart from that, it's very much Apple-styled clean white surfaces agogo. The story has a very gentle feel to it; you never really get the sense that anybody's in real peril and, even when they are, surely it'll all be OK somehow. Even the plot twists are closer to smooth curves than mind-melting WTF moments. Still, it's all quite pleasant, and a decent watch so long as you don't expect a genre gamechanger. If you can't abide the Cruise-ster, however, this won't do anything to change your mind.

The Frighteners - enjoyable supernatural thriller from Peter Jackson, most recently the author of a series of successful adverts for the New Zealand Tourism Board. A clairvoyant Michael J. Fox teams up with some ghosts to scam money out of the unsuspecting, until a mysterious supernatural being turns out to be responsible for a series of suspicious deaths. Who will survive and what will be left of them? It's a moderately fun romp that could easily have been a movie for kids, if not for Jackson's then-predilection for grue. Kind of a smaller-in-scope Ghostbusters, with smaller returns. Oh, and JEFFREY COOOMBS!

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - nothing to do with Royston Vasey, but an effects heavy (and apparently hamfisted) adaption of a literary gangbang comic book. Fictional characters from various novels are assumed to be real and team up to save the world from a fictional villain at the dawn of a steampunk 20th century. Big, dumb action flick, with a surprising amount of dull exposition in an attempt to develop character. Still, it's vaguely watchable if you turn your brain off and, I suspect, if you aren't particularly attached to any of the characters involved.

Two thumbs up from the children present, if that's any help.

The Frighteners - enjoyable supernatural thriller from Peter Jackson, most recently the author of a series of successful adverts for the New Zealand Tourism Board. A clairvoyant Michael J. Fox teams up with some ghosts to scam money out of the unsuspecting, until a mysterious supernatural being turns out to be responsible for a series of suspicious deaths. Who will survive and what will be left of them? It's a moderately fun romp that could easily have been a movie for kids, if not for Jackson's then-predilection for grue. Kind of a smaller-in-scope Ghostbusters, with smaller returns. Oh, and JEFFREY COOOMBS!

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - nothing to do with Royston Vasey, but an effects heavy (and apparently hamfisted) adaption of a literary gangbang comic book. Fictional characters from various novels are assumed to be real and team up to save the world from a fictional villain at the dawn of a steampunk 20th century. Big, dumb action flick, with a surprising amount of dull exposition in an attempt to develop character. Still, it's vaguely watchable if you turn your brain off and, I suspect, if you aren't particularly attached to any of the characters involved.

Two thumbs up from the children present, if that's any help.

I quite liked LXG, as you say it's a bit of a "Switch off and enjoy"-type film with some clever ideas that don't quite work.

I quite liked LXG, as you say it's a bit of a "Switch off and enjoy"-type film with some clever ideas that don't quite work.

Yeah, a lot of ridicule seems to be thrown it's way but I remember quite enjoying it as well. Haven't seen it since I was about 10 though to be fair.

Scream of the Banshee - terminal SyFy channel movie about a banshee loose on a university campus. Full of cheap and boring dialogue-heavy scenes that go nowhere and, when something does happen, it's of little note. Very much like every other SyFy movie you've ever seen - dross. Oh, and somebody have a word with Lance Henriksen's agent, for God's sake.

The Blair Witch Project - I originally saw a leaked pirate copy of this before release; the picture quality was dreadful, and a key plot point was missing. Put the shits up me pretty well. Easy to wonder why when viewing the release DVD these days. It really is just three kids wandering around in the woods bitching at each other. Almost every found-footage film released since has been more interesting. And it doesn't hold a candle to Cannibal Holocaust.

Mystic River - engaging drama about three kids whose adult lives are scarred by a kidnapping. Plays like a Greek tragedy and doesn't leave the audience with a satisfying ending, something that Eastwood the director seems to enjoy. Very good, albeit a tad depressing, and a stellar cast to boot.

The Abandoned - full-grown orphan heads back to her birth country of Russia to claim her mother's estate, which consists of a large farmstead in the middle of some very ominous woods. Obviously, bad things are afoot on the ranch; who will survive and what will be left of her?

The film makes some attempts to provide some disturbing images and plays around with space and time, but it's a very straightforward ghost story that fails at anything beyond the bare bones of the limited script. There's very little to feed your imagination with here, and it becomes boring quite fast. Feels very tired, frankly.