What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Goodbye Lenin: 9/10

A German comedy (they do exist) about the desperate efforts of a young East Berliner to stop his diehard communist mother who has just emerged from a coma finding out that communism has collapsed in case she has a heart attack and dies. Has a deeper side to it that reveals that the mother was probably faking her devotion to the party after her husband defects and looks at what was good and bad about the former East Germany from an East German viewpoint.

Great film but I think calling it a comedy is stretching it a bit, sure it has some humorous moments but it's not exactly a comedy. It deals with/has some pretty serious and tragic stuff in it. I wouldn't watch it if I wanted cheering up.

Edited by Enigma

Comedy doesn't always translate well in subtitles. A good example is when the mother is introduced to her new son-in-law Rainer (who is from West Berlin) and he starts mixing up Hitler Youth and Young Pioneer terminology when trying to describe his supposed East German childhood to play along with the whole East Germany continuing as before charade. if you don't have enough of a smattering of German to pick that up the subtitles don't really help explain what the point of that bit of dialogue was. A lot of the comedy also revolves around how the Ossi vs Wessi thing is an ongoing issue and they don't suddenly all become a single German nation again. Even the father who defects is still an Ossi at heart, because in one scene it becomes clear that he is getting his children from his remarriage in the west to watch East German children's television.

Adore - 6/10

Naomi Watts spends most of her time in a bikini if you like that sort of thing. Drama about two childhood female friends in their early/mid 40s (Watts and Robin Wright) who both fall for each others teenage sons (who are also best friends) At almost two hrs its probably 30mins too long as started to drag but the storyline and dynamic between the 4 lead characters is interesting enough.

The Kings of Summer - 9/10

Might be the best film I have seen this year. Really good coming of age film and anyone who loved Perks of Being a Wallflower, Stand By Me, Way Way Back etc will really enjoy this. Had a really limited release here back in August. The three child actors are great and supporting cast is superb as well with Nick Offerman being the standout and Alison Brie also doing well (although slightly underused). It's very funny, has a good cast and a good story and brings back those memories of being a kid again.

I watched the first half of The Kings of Summer last night. Very funny - a few really witty lines, really dry, even fairly dark in bits. Looking forward to watching the rest of it tonight.

Went to see A Long Way Down. 5/10 and a very generous 5/10 at that.

Story wasn't put across well at all and the characters weren't written very well.

The 5/10 comes from Arron Paul and Toni Collettes performances, doing well with the material they had.

Also, was weak enough to make me want to read the book and appreciate what was a really good idea for a story.

Good write up. Two days later I'm still thinking about this film and I can't decide if I enjoyed it or not. Under The Skin indeed.

You're right about the clips where she speaks to Glaswegians. :thumsup2

I'd never really paid much attention to Johansson before but since watching this film... :wub:

Good write up. Two days later I'm still thinking about this film and I can't decide if I enjoyed it or not. Under The Skin indeed.

You're right about the clips where she speaks to Glaswegians. :thumsup2

I'd never really paid much attention to Johansson before but since watching this film... :wub:

Hanging the scarf out the window :lol::lol: What a typically Scottish attempt at seduction

Went to see the Winter Soldier last night really enjoyed it

8.5/10

anyone who has seen it notice the following?

When talking about who they would be targeting they mention Steven Strange aka Dr Strange who is meant to have his own film coming up at some point

Also on Fury's headstone it reads "the path of the righeous man" I had a giggle to myself on that one

Snowpiercer 6/10

Saw this French graphic novel movie adaptation recently. One of those movies that is incredibly frustrating due to it being nowhere near as good as it could've and should've been, in this case due to really messy pacing, weak script and cringeworthingly poor acting/delivery from the lead. The quirky style of Bong Joon-Ho comes through well, but this wasn't always a good thing - really stretched the required amount of suspension of disbelief at times.

So annoying, could've been a real classic in the league of The Dark Knight. Still well worth the watch, though, just don't get annoyed like me :P

This Is The End.

I don't normally gives stars or ratings but this was 0/10.

I'm genuinely curious as to what kind of movie they thought they were making. Comedy? I didn't laugh. Not once. There was not a single redeeming feature about the film, not even any of the "cameos"

I leave it to better reviewers to point out the gargantuan flaws in it.. I just hated it all.

This Is The End.

I don't normally gives stars or ratings but this was 0/10.

I'm genuinely curious as to what kind of movie they thought they were making. Comedy? I didn't laugh. Not once. There was not a single redeeming feature about the film, not even any of the "cameos"

I leave it to better reviewers to point out the gargantuan flaws in it.. I just hated it all.

You've captured the shite essence perfectly tbh.

The Purge

80 minutes? For a feature film? No surprise the film turned out to be utter shite given that it was over in such a short time. The premise of the film is actually good, and could have been a fantastic thriller if they actually followed through with it properly but instead it was just so, so bad.

2/10

Non-Stop

Took my mum and dad to see this yesterday, they love generic action films and both like Liam Neeson. It is from the same producers of 'Taken', and 'Unknown' so you get what you expect. Neeson plays the same character he has now been playing for the past few years and to be fair he is very watchable in the 'troubled, middle aged tough guy' role. The film itself was decent, pretty entertaining stuff for the majority of it despite a "shit we need to finish the film now so lets go mental" type of ending.

5/10

Having now checked the director of 'Non-Stop' his IMDB tells me that he is currently filming 'Run All Night' about 'An ageing hit man who is forced to take on his brutal former boss to protect his estranged son and his family.' Starring, Liam Neeson.

Theres one i saw a trailer for last night about an aging hitman who tries to give up his life of killing but drawn back into it

Starring.... Kevin Costner.. yes really

Theres one i saw a trailer for last night about an aging hitman who tries to give up his life of killing but drawn back into it

Starring.... Kevin Costner.. yes really

If you're surprised by his casting there, you might want to check out Mr Brooks (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780571/).

Pretty decent film, and he certainly isn't bad.

Apollo 18

So much potential to make this film excellent, a couple of guys on the moon only they're not alone but the story just goes right downhill and overall it's pretty poor.

4/10

Pretty accurate. Such a waste.