What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Hunger (IMDb)

Had a search on this forum and a few people watched this when it was released and then shown on Film4. It is a bit like Drive in the way that it is put together, very little dialogue, lots of tense, tension building scenes and a fair few harrowing shots thrown into the mix. Probably a film that due to its political focus will may divide opinions (in certain parts of the country) but I thought it was a superb film. The fact that there is very little dialogue and that it manages to keep you fixed to the screen shows that a film can have an impact and not be filled with constant talking and stuff happening all the time.

I really need to see Steve McQueen's other films, 'Shame' and his new one '12 Years a Slave' (which is meant to be brutal but amazing)

8/10

Bad Grandpa.

Feels forced, few laugh out loud moments but it's your typical Knoxville affair really. It's pretty poor as a film.

4/10.

I really wanted to see this after seeing the trailer but saw that it's a 12A and kinda lost interest, I usually find most of the stuff in Jackass funny as well. Might try and catch it next week before it leaves the cinema.

Are you the guy that didn't realise machete kills was an action comedy?

Unsure how this is relevant, but having not seen and trailers or anything before watching the film, yes.

I watched Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrells tonight and loved it.

forehead7, on 31 Oct 2013 - 20:13, said:

I really wanted to see this after seeing the trailer but saw that it's a 12A and kinda lost interest, I usually find most of the stuff in Jackass funny as well. Might try and catch it next week before it leaves the cinema.

They've crammed the funniness into the trailer quite well.

Season of the witch. what an awful film. didnt even make it to the end because it annoyed me.

when i saw Cage was in it i wasnt put off but this really wasnt a film for him with his stupid super noodle hair and then when Perlman said in his gravelly american accent "lets get the hell out of here" that was it for me.

They were supposed to be in the dark ages ffs. Im not expecting them to put on ye olde accents or anything but at least try to get into some kind of character. The fight scenes were rubbish too.

Dont know what kind of person would enjoy this film. morons possibly.

Thor Dark World

Enjoyable enough Sunday night fare. The missus enjoyed it more than me. Terrible main bad guy IMO, very generic. Natalie Portman has been pretty much nothing to do, although Hemsworth does give Thor a degree of credibility I didn't imagine was possible and some of the action scenes are mighty impressive.

Nice to see the States not be the main setting, although actually enjoyed the Asgard scenes more than the Earth bound ones. Marvel do seem to be boiling things nicely towards world domination and the mega movie that Avengers 2 will be.

6/10.

Having never seen it, i recorded Heat a few weeks ago... every saturday night without fail, my GF would not want to watch it for some reason...

So on saturday night when she went to bed i watched it myself.

Incredible! Just bloody incredible.

A month or so ago i watched The Road, god what a crock of shit that was!

Thor: The Dark World ( 2013 )

Didn't quite enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the first Thor movie, but it was a good fun ride nonetheless. I think where this one fell was in the plot, which just wasn't as interesting as other instalments in the current Marvel collection. Where the movie finds it's fun is in pretty much every scene involving Loki and Thor together. Tom Hiddlestone seems to revel in that role. For all of the damage that was done in the Avengers Assemble movie to his mystique, this movie did a lot to rectify that. Where this movie also excels is in the comedy aspect. Lots of good one liners and comic moments which manage to keep things ticking along quite nicely.

It's certainly a fun movie and there's plenty of action and madness to make it a good winter blockbuster.

7/10

Captain Phillips ( 2013 )

This has received a lot of praise, and it's all pretty much deserved. It's a tense movie for sure, even though we know how it all ends. I love the way it builds up the oncoming pirates for a long time, as the ship try and do what they can to avoid what seems like the inevitable ( with the idea of abandoning ship also coming up ) and then when they do take the ship, the resilience and resourcefulness of the crew takes centre stage, and we also find that the head of the pirates is no idiot, and can be quite resourseful himself. This becomes a minor nag later in the movie when they make him into a bit of an idiot. The centre piece of the whole thing is a monster of a performance from Tom Hanks. Probably the best of an already fine career. The post-hostage situation is harrowing stuff thanks to his role. I'm gonna go full whammy on this.

10/10

Incidentally, it's worth looking out what kind of a man Phillips really was according to his crew. Really eye opening stuff.

I saw this while on holiday. I was buzzing to see it as I adore anything Tom Hanks is in. I have to say, I was slightly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it was a good film, but I guess I over hyped it in my own head. I still really enjoyed it though.

8/10

I watched world war Z and actually quite enjoyed it. Some of the cgi was a bit piss but the running zombies like a human wave was good. I liked that.

Was also quite good to see how they transformed Glasgow into Philidelphia.

I also watched this recently and I thought it was excellent for what it was. The scene where Pitt infects himself to test out his theory and then walked out amongst them was tense as f**k.

9/10

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

The Perks of being a Wallflower 9/10

I had been hearing some good things about this movie and it had been gathering dust for a while for deciding to take the plunge.

Most of the time when a film gets hyped up I tend to in some way always find myself dissappointed, however this was one of those rare cases that I bought into completely.

The emotional involvement that the film managed to cram into through two hours was executed stupendously, not just for the main character, but for the dysfunctional supporting characters that would come to be Charlie's friends. I loved the sentimentality it generated, putting me through all the motions with laughter, sympathy, and even a bit of adrenaline for one scene.

I've heard that the book is still better, so much that I'm very tempted to go and purchase it to see for myself, which is a feeling I rarely get from a novelised adaptation. An excellent all-round film with a decent soundtrack and it has given me the strong temptation to starting reading again.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

Mud.

Absolutely loved this. Amazingly well shot with fantastic performances all round. Really evoked one of my favourite films when I was growing up "Stand by Me". Don't see films like this made too often anymore, no CGI and little violence until the tense ending, just superb characterisation of real people.

After this, Shotgun Stories and Take Shelter which I also liked, I think the Writer/Director(Jeff Nichols) has a bona fide masterpiece in him at some point, looking forward to seeing his future work.

Hard film to describe so I won't give too much away, just watch it if you get the chance.

9/10.

The Way Way Back

Coming of age film about a young lad whos Dad has moved to California leaving him stuck with his Mum (Toni Collette) and her arse boyfriend (Steve Carrell). They head down to Carrell's holiday home and the young lad ends up working at a water park beside Sam Rockwell.

Rockwell's dialogue is fantastic at times and Carrell was convincing as a total tube even though I always imagine him as loveable idiot, Brick Tamland.

7/10