What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Rembrandt's J'Accuse! -

In 2007 Peter Greenaway made a film based on the story of Rembrandt's life around the time of painting the famous Night Watch (Martin Freeman as Rembrandt, 7/10). This comes one year later, also by Greenaway, and occasionally using parts of that film to highlight various points.

It's an odd beast of a documentary; effectively a visual essay about the impoverishment of understanding images combined with the greatest art history lecture ever combined with a great overview of European politics in the 17th century combined with a whodunnit. Greenaway, perhaps a bit tongue-in-cheek, presents the idea that The Night Watch is a 'j'accuse!' that accuses a man of murder, with the image full of clues to who did it, why, and various other satires on the people's lives.

He goes through 33 different aspects of the painting (e.g. the men are depicted under a theatrical version of an arch, satirising their triumphal nature, mocking their hubris. The thick fucks in the image didn't get it. Neither did I, tbf) in number order to tell us about it.

It's really great, it's kind of like what TV would be if TV had any balls.

9/10

White Elephant -

Pablo Trapero consistently makes good films. Like most very good Argentine films, they usually star the great Ricardo Darin. This one's set in a Buenos Aires slum that developed when a hospital closed. Darin and Jeremie Renier (from the Dardennes' films and also the blind poof from In Bruges) are priests trying to help the community who find their attempts stifled from all corners, whether it's their own church, the police, local government, drug dealers, whilst having their own issues. Features the director's wife, who's very good as always, but Trapero seems to insist on her getting them out in every film. Anyway, it's pretty good.

7.5/10

Django Unchained

Inglorious b*****ds but set in the Wild West.

Tedious self fulfilling pretentious overhyped nonsense.

Tarantino has lost the plot.

4/10

Thought it was a reasonable sequel. Didn't like the wedging in of some characters though. The Nadia one was ridiculous.

As for fucking dreadful, I watched a movie called Blown Away with Jeff Bridges and Tommy Lee Jones today. It was definitely pretty bad. I'm willing to go with 2/10 because Tommy Lee Jones' shite Irish accent kept me entertained.

The Man With The Iron Fists (18 cert) - 6/10

Spaghetti Western meets Chinese Martial Arts :thumsup2

"Presented by Quinten Tarantino" (could've been made by him, it's like his style)

Ridiculous but great fun.

Very violent! Mucho spraying blood & snot at every turn.

Russell Crowe sporting a big beer belly (is that really him or is it prostetics??)

Dropped marks because some fight scenes a bit to quick & jumpy.

I went to see Iron Man 3 the other day. I hadn't seen any of the other ones (unless The Avengers counts) and don't know anything about the comics, but didn't have any trouble keeping up with the story.

It was okay, was an enjoyable way to pass a couple of hours. I doubt I'd watch it again though and it didn't make me want to rush out and watch the other films. FWIW I thought Ben Kingsley's character was fantastic.*

The twist with him is brilliant.

I just never warmed to the character of Tony Stark (in both this and The Avengers). He's a p***k, which is good in small measures, but not all of the time.

6/10

Alyson Hannigan is probably the only one to come out of American Pie and continue her success. She was always obviously a good actress though. She was the standout on Buffy along with Anthony Head.

Alyson Hannigan is probably the only one to come out of American Pie and continue her success. She was always obviously a good actress though. She was the standout on Buffy along with Anthony Head.

Seann William Scott has been in tonnes of stuff, I guess it's film vs tv success between those two.

Tonnes of shite stuff and stuff that people have barely heard of.

I'd take Hannigan's TV success any day of the week.

I'm probably overestimating how well known they are but Role Models, Dude, Where's My Car, Road Trip, Bulletproof Monk and The Dukes of Hazard would be ones I'd think are known enough. Then there's loads of middling ones like Welcome to the Jungle, Goon, Mr Woodcock. And then great cameos like Old School and Cop Out.

I'm not saying that he's better than her (I have never watched Buffy so only know her from How I Met Your Mother, outside of American Pie) but he's got plenty recognition outwith American Pie.

I've never seen any of the American Pie films. I like him in Role Models and Road Trip. He's also in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back so he's a good guy in my books.

I just hate the fact his name is 'Seann'.