What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I watched Return of the Jedi. I couldn't help but feel sickened by the scenes at the end where everyone is celebrating the death of Emperor Palpatine. I mean, yes, he was a divisive figure but he was strong and when he made a decision he stuck to it and you have to respect him for that. And at the end of the day he was an old man with relatives (probably), and he had gone quite mad by the time he died. You have to look at his legacy and see what he did for the Galaxy, which was essentially on its arse before he took over. 6/10

How about when the Rebels blow up the unfinished Death Star? All those hired contractors, plumbers, electricians and whatnot. They don't have any affiliation to the galactic war, innocent workers just trying to send some money back to their families and then the Rebels slaughter them.

DING DONG THE SITH IS DEAD!

I watched Return of the Jedi. I couldn't help but feel sickened by the scenes at the end where everyone is celebrating the death of Emperor Palpatine. I mean, yes, he was a divisive figure but he was strong and when he made a decision he stuck to it and you have to respect him for that. And at the end of the day he was an old man with relatives (probably), and he had gone quite mad by the time he died. You have to look at his legacy and see what he did for the Galaxy, which was essentially on its arse before he took over. 6/10

Was his daughter a racist snob and his son a directionally challenged war criminal, by any chance?

As I've said before, I've never sat and watched Star Wars, but the way you describe, it, it's like I've actually lived through it!

(is that 6/10 after applying maximum residency discount, BTW?)

How about when the Rebels blow up the unfinished Death Star? All those hired contractors, plumbers, electricians and whatnot. They don't have any affiliation to the galactic war, innocent workers just trying to send some money back to their families and then the Rebels slaughter them.

Was his daughter a racist snob and his son a directionally challenged war criminal, by any chance?

As I've said before, I've never sat and watched Star Wars, but the way you describe, it, it's like I've actually lived through it!

(is that 6/10 after applying maximum residency discount, BTW?)

Well technically no but his bitch Darth Vader had twins though.

Not only that, his daughter was a princess (lets say she's a racist for funsies) and she's also a bit of a snob. She complains about the height of a stormtrooper before she finds out it's her rescuer in episode IV after all. Meanwhile, his son was responsible for blowing up the death, so depending on your point of view, he's a war criminal.

The Proposition. Australia-set western starring Guy Oearce and about twenty others. Think Jesse James meets The Road. It's unremittingly bleak and brilliantly acted.

Edited to get the name of the film right, correct the spelling and ruin a joke.

Edited by Savage Henry

The Preposition. Australia-set western starring Guy Oearce and about twenty others. Think Jesse James meets The Road. It's unremittingly bleak and brilliantly acted.

Cracking film, but it's brilliance pales beside your typo - makes it sound like a movie on grammar usage. ;)

Dark Skies - Insidious with aliens, and not that jumpy. Pisspoor ending. 6/10.

The Ring (US) - watched again, not seen it in a while so decided to watch again. Still a decent film 7.5/10.

Let me In - Not what I expected. Quite a moving film in a weird way, I expected a horror. Some brilliant scenes. 8.5 / 10.

Spring Breakers - 7/10

When buying my ticket for this, the girl behind the counter asked me if i realised it was an "arty" film with a lot of nudity, because they'd been asked for a lot of refunds by people who had walked out, shocked by it.

It's a strange film. A lot of the dialogue is repeated 3 or 4 times while the camera moves from girl to girl, or taking shots of a sunset. It really does look beautiful. Things get really interesting when James Franco turns up. He's brilliant in this. There's a scene when he serenades 3 of the girls with a Britney Spears song on the piano which is just terrific.

Vanessa Hudgens is a right wee dirty!

Cracking film, but it's brilliance pales beside your typo - makes it sound like a movie on grammar usage. ;)

Yeah, I was thinking of watching The Proposition, which is very similar, but I watched The Preposition, in which Guy Pearce goes around Australia on a horse trying to correct people's use of the definitive article. And killing folk.

Spring Breakers - 7/10

When buying my ticket for this, the girl behind the counter asked me if i realised it was an "arty" film with a lot of nudity, because they'd been asked for a lot of refunds by people who had walked out, shocked by it.

It's a strange film. A lot of the dialogue is repeated 3 or 4 times while the camera moves from girl to girl, or taking shots of a sunset. It really does look beautiful. Things get really interesting when James Franco turns up. He's brilliant in this. There's a scene when he serenades 3 of the girls with a Britney Spears song on the piano which is just terrific.

Vanessa Hudgens is a right wee dirty!

I thought it was utterly atrocious, definitely "^^trying to hard" to be deep and meaningful and just failing. Not really spoilers but since it's very new;

Franco took too long to get involved. I would've had most of the film being up him and however many of the four girls just going about doing crazy shit like robbing people.

Franco was excellent in it.

I thought it was utterly atrocious, definitely "^^trying to hard" to be deep and meaningful and just failing. Not really spoilers but since it's very new;

Franco took too long to get involved. I would've had most of the film being up him and however many of the four girls just going about doing crazy shit like robbing people.

Franco was excellent in it.

I agree with your spoiler. I also agree that it was quite pretentious, but i just liked it.

Caught Oblivion at the weekend. Basic idea is the TC is a "tech" who is left behind on Earth after everyone else buggared off after a war against an alien race and he is left to maintain droids that protect rigs used to gather up seawater for the survivors on Titan

Special mention to Andrea Riseborough who puts in a good performance and looks pretty good too :P

8/10

Oblivion - enjoyable enough guff with Tom Cruise, imbecilic Brit thesp Andrea Risebrough, and Olga Kurylenko doing a fine stint in vests when uncalled for. Morgan Freeman's in it for about four scenes and probably earns a few million.

Basically, if you've never seen 2001, Solaris, Silent Running or Wall E and can't be arsed, just watch Oblivion as it basically merges these four films together.

You can pick a zillion holes with it, but it's got an M83 score!

6/10

Flaming Creatures - Only 43 minutes long, and I was pretty thankful for that. Frequently striking, troubling, and overpowering. Technically and aesthetically this feels more 1933 than 1963, with imagery out of silent movies (Ali Baba, vampires) although the troubling group rape scene, embellished with violent camera movement and apocalyptic allusion, would mark it out as post-war.

5/10

City of Lost Souls - Excellent camp as hell semi-musical, semi-documentary (many apart from lead Jayne County are playing themselves). Based around a load of foreigners who've moved to Berlin and end up working at Burger Queen, and staying at the proprietor Angie Stardust's motel. This manages to be an utter romp, tragic and intelligent (tackling transgender and transvestite identity issues pretty head-on), grim and beautiful, a political satire and a laugh riot. Jayne County is a riot, but Tara O'Hara and Angie Stardust especially bring massive heart to this cult classic. The rousing musical finale and County's insane 'I Fell In Love With A Russian Soldier' (in the film featuring after County (as Leila) has been recruited by a DDR agent and made into an East German TV star) are highlights. Highly recommended.

8/10

Oblivion - enjoyable enough guff with Tom Cruise, imbecilic Brit thesp Andrea Risebrough, and Olga Kurylenko doing a fine stint in vests when uncalled for. Morgan Freeman's in it for about four scenes and probably earns a few million.

Basically, if you've never seen 2001, Solaris, Silent Running or Wall E and can't be arsed, just watch Oblivion as it basically merges these four films together.

You can pick a zillion holes with it, but it's got an M83 score!

6/10

I thought more like Moon, tho was amazed how much the guns looked like props from Mass Effect...

Caught Oblivion the other day. Wasn't overly impressed by it. It looks gorgeous, thats really its major strength. The landscapes are almost beautifully barren. I read that they filmed it mostly in Iceland and if so they really got the most out of their location filming.

The plot's predictable. If your paying attention then you'll probably have a rough idea of what is going on in the first 15 minutes or so. Cruise isn't at his best here, he's played this kind of part more than a couple of times over his career now and although he is at least trying, it's hard to really care about this character.

Olga Kurylenko's a bit bland but to be fair to her, she's not got a lot to work with. Her character seems basically just defined by her relationship to Tom Cruise's. Thought Angela Riseborough was quite good though, I was genuinely interested in her character. It's disapointing that she ends up being shoved to one side in the end and completely forgotten about. Morgan Freeman doesn't have a lot to work with either. His character feels like it was lifted from so many different movies. The ending's quite poor too I felt.

In the end, it was a fairly nice looking film but I found it boring at points. After about an hour and a bit I just really wanted to be somewhere else if I'm honest. 3/10.

Edited by captainkev