What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Croods

Took the wee man to see this today (plus i wanted to see it as well) and for what i expected it certainly didnt disappoint,

Cracking characters, pretty easy storyline to follow (think ice age) but with a twist that more "modern" ideas get flung in and the actual laughs come from the family learning and seeing these new things

The father of the croods is fucking hilarious, same with the granny, the rest of the characters support very well and make it a very enjoyable watch. Cant say i found any bit really really boring or unwatchable, a typically animated dreamworks film that you find yourself reapeating parts of it long after you have left the cinema

Hopefully a sequel is being thought out 8/10

The Croods

Took the wee man to see this today (plus i wanted to see it as well) and for what i expected it certainly didnt disappoint,

Cracking characters, pretty easy storyline to follow (think ice age) but with a twist that more "modern" ideas get flung in and the actual laughs come from the family learning and seeing these new things

The father of the croods is fucking hilarious, same with the granny, the rest of the characters support very well and make it a very enjoyable watch. Cant say i found any bit really really boring or unwatchable, a typically animated dreamworks film that you find yourself reapeating parts of it long after you have left the cinema

Hopefully a sequel is being thought out 8/10

Yep took my boy to see it too. I thought it was very dun dun da! :)

7/10

Reservoir Dogs - 7/10. Actually had somehow never managed to see this before last night. Probably going to get slated but I thought it was alright without being amazing. Standouts for me were Buscemi and Keitel by a long shot. Pulp Fiction still remains Tarantino's finest work in my eyes.

Dawn of the Dead

Zombie thriller, centred around a group of randoms baracaded in a town mall.

Probably my favorite of Zombie movies, some good humour and anxious moments aplenty. 8/10

The Aviator

Biopic of the life of american aviator Howard Hughes, directed by Martin Scorsese.

I hadn't seen this movie before but found it really interesting, Di Caprio puts in an absolute great perofmrance, it's a litte on the long side (nearly 3 hours) but it certainly didn't feel that way 8.5/10

I fancied the pictures today and was all set to see Side Effects again but I've been under the weather and ended up watching The House at the End of the Street on Filmflex. It was alright. Jennifer Lawrence looked pretty great in it and it had just enough intrigue to make it watchable and slightly better than most films of its kind. Full iof cliches though mind. 6.7/10.

Edited by Christophe

Bottle Rocket

This was the only film by Wes Anderson that I hadn't so far seen (his first proper film) so I recently bought it and got round to watching it last night. Personally I thought it was brilliant. It's a little bit different than some of his later efforts, but it still has Anderson's usual sad and humorous at the same time vibe.

Thought it was a good debut for the Wilson brothers (quite strange seeing Owen Wilson with such short hair) and an even better debut for Anderson - Scorsese has this in his top 10 films of the 90s.

I can understand why some people might not like it, but this is my type of thing: 8.5/10

The Hunt ( 2012 )

A little girl accuses a nursery teacher, played by Mads Mikkelsen, of showing her his penis, and things just grow from there. The one flaw here is the way people buy into it, but that can be explained away by the detail the girl uses. So it can't possibly be a lie. So that makes things easier to digest, and the quick escalation as well. It's a cracking wee story and it's well played out. Mikkelsen plays the falsely accused man brilliantly, as he goes about his business trying to do what he can, and has his patience tested at every corner, and his son turning up taking things in a new direction adds to it.

8/10

Silver Linings Playbook

It's been a great couple of weeks for me with movie watching choices with Detachment and The Perks of Being a Wallflower, so i picked a safe choice that i knew i at least wouldn't hate. Really quite enjoyed this. The performances from Cooper and Lawrence are great. After 5 minutes of Lawrence being on screen i was wondering why plenty of people think she's the sexiest woman alive etc, but by the end of the movie i had fallen completely in love with her, rather than her character.

The film didn't hit me emotionally as much as i thought it was going to based on some reviews i'd read/seen, but it was a very enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours and at no point was i bored.

Not sure what my next choice of movie will be, but i'm hoping my good run will continue.

A nice solid 7/10

The Croods

took the kids to see it on Tuesday, loved it, great characters you really warm to, very imaginative storyline and the action and humour are spot on , the animation is always great but in this film it is amazing, some scenes will take your breath away they are so good, the best animated for years , maybe Dreamworks best behind Shrek. 9.5/10

The Host, went to the gallery thing at the odeon in maidenhead but the place was shut for refurb. Average film with a average story line. Film drags on for a bit and so does the chasing of the humans by the alien humans, it is like the director ran out of ideas half way thru

I made it a resolution of mine to watch one new film a week this year, and so far the year has been full of fairly mediocre filler, and a few duds. However today I watched Detachment. I know a few P&B folk have watched this and liked it, plus being a teacher it maybe meant my views were skewed (although the film is about people rather just teaching) but I thought this film was superb.

I can't really describe it, its bleak, powerful, engaging stuff and the film is really intense right from the start but I was fascinated throughout.

Question for those who have watched it - who or what (and when) was Adrien Brody delivering his monologue to throughout the film?

8/10