What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Resevoir dogs - Good, but not amazing as veryone always makes out. 7/10

Withnail and i - Absolutely superb film. A laughed all the way through. Now one of my favourite comedies. 10/10.

Pair of classics, particularly Reservoir Dogs. Amazing, groundbreaking movie that.

Pishing myself at idiots going on about Ted, winning an Oscar and shit. You shouldn't be allowed away from a telly showing Jez Kyle. Mad men.

I loved that film- really nicely made for a debut director, right up my street in terms of content and humour and a stand-out for me that's gone under the radar is great music too.

I can't see it taking any Academy Awards, but at least its creative team will be represented on the night.

Looper - 8/10. Definitely not what I thought it was gonna be. Totally turned the story on its head halfway through but was still really enjoyable. Not the best Willis performance but JGL was pretty solid as the young assassin.

Total Recall - 8/10. Got told by more than one person that this was really poor but I thought it was pretty decent. Good popcorn action movie.

jojo, I remember going through that exact chain of thought in my mid-teens. I used to be heavily into music and spent most of my wages on CDs. One of my friends' brother is a proper film guy- he spends every minute of his free time watching films, reading about them, writing, rewriting and amateur filming, and he goes away to masterclasses about editing and all sorts of things. He's my go-to guy when I see something I really like and he'll talk about everything, really openly too, which is nice- if he doesn't like something that I loved, he'll talk me through his thoughts and he encourages me to do the same. He's quite reserved about the stuff he writes and doesn't show it to anyone, but I'm pleased to be one of the people that he talks to about his ideas.

I remember I hung out with him one night when I was maybe 15 and he just showed me film after film after film, and between them talked about his favourite shots in those films, and what Kubrick did to get this effect, and how Scorsese's director of photography came up with this idea...it was fascinating. I then went through a phase of watching really great films, and some less great ones, and thinking about the technical side of it, putting the microscope over it if you like. Pretty soon I came to a conclusion that film is definitely the supreme art form- it combines craft and vision with precision and technology- it's so complicated and so hard to do, but the feeling when you've just seen something that 100% works for you is absolutely mind-blowing.

I reckon Scorsese summed it up best when he said: "Cinema's a matter of what's in the frame, and what's out."

Yeh, im starting to agree with you. as you say, every single thing in a set has been thought out, every shot has been thought out. Films just excite me more now, theres not really any new good music coming out any more, but there is plenty of films. Also, even a bad film is still enjoyable, most of the time. Wheras a bad album is just awful, and lets face it, most music is bad.

Yeh, im starting to agree with you. as you say, every single thing in a set has been thought out, every shot has been thought out. Films just excite me more now, theres not really any new good music coming out any more, but there is plenty of films. Also, even a bad film is still enjoyable, most of the time. Wheras a bad album is just awful, and lets face it, most music is bad.

Fair enough you prefer films to music but this post is verging on ignorant/bonkers.

1783955-joker_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Never been more appropriate

Went to see Sightseers (2012)

A pretty dark British comedy with great performances by the two main leads. An enjoyable watch with some very good laugh out loud moments but not quite sure it fully works overall. As I said the leads were good but supporting cast felt a bit weak.

6/10

MIB 3 - 6/10 - Does what it says on the tin

Spiderman (Newest one) - 7/10 - Enjoyable but not as good as the previous starter film.

Killer Joe 6.5/10 - Strange film, not sure what to make of it. Good in parts shite in others. Got better as film went on then just ends like that.

Watched a whole bunch.

The Night Listener - 6/10

The Ides of March - 8/10

The Astronaut's Wife - 3/10

An Education - 8/10

The first three was a Lovefilm tripple whammy on my night shift night off. The Ides of March is terrific right from the word go, and Ryan Gosling in the lead role is terrific. An Education seen Peter Sarsgaard as an older guy smooth talking his way into the pants of younger Carey Mulligan. And by god he was a smooth criminal. Me and my mate had a good laugh watching this one as a result.

The Astronaut's Wife starts badly, gets worse and just gets ridiculously bad at the end. The saving grace was some unintentional humour. The Night Listener is a good wee movie.

There Will Be Blood

I'm not sure, I wasn't really digging it and was thinking Daniel Day Lewis was a bit overrated until the church scene with Paul Dano, both his talents and the film really picked up there. I started to really enjoy it from then on.

8/10 - probably, Daniel Day Lewis and Paul Dano were very good and probably take this up a couple of marks.

I think I've got Gangs of New York on my computer and My Left Foot is on Lovefilm Instant so I'll try and see them as well.

The Watch - 6/10.

Pretty meh with a few laugh out loud moments. But generally very poor, half assed acting throughout. Vince Vaughn was funny as per but thought he had a poor performance at the same time.

Edited by 11thHour