What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Prometheus - 4/10 great CGI and effects but nothing like the original Alien films in terms of tension and acting. All style and no substance.

Iron Sky - 8/10 great fun.

The interesting thing about Apocolypse Now is that the cast and crew were true to the story/characters and really were getting fucked and losing their mind. Keitel got kicked off and replaced by Sheen after a fortnight, who in turn was at the lowest points of alcholism and had a heart attack. Brando turned up 100 pounds heavier than expected without knowing any lines. Hopper was getting so MWI on cocaine that Brando (rather hypocritically imo) refused to work with him. The crew were partying so much and taking so much shit that the set guy actually bought a bunch of dead bodies from a local graverobber to use as props on Kurtz's temple. Coppolla had a breakdown and threatened to top himself 3 times.

Some gig :lol:

Also, a 14-year-old Laurence Fishburne lied about his age to appear in the film. They planned on spending 6 weeks in the Philippines and ended up there for 16 months!

Because of Marlon Brando arriving seriously out of shape, Coppola and his D.O.P. Vittorio Storaro decided to introduce him coming out of the shadows and portray him as a bulky, muscly giant. Making that work was Storaro's proudest achievement about AN.

Coppola eventually had a major fallout with Brando and couldn't take it any more, so made his assistant director do every scene with Brando. Apparently everyone elso on set loved him...

Shame

I must start by talking about Micheal Fassbenders performance. It is magnificent, and the fact he wasn't given a nomination is disgusting. I thought the film was well written and directed. It is another film which shows how an addiction can completely ruin a persons life. But it was refreshing to see a addiction story that wasn't based around drugs or alcohol. I did find some of hard to watch, which is something I don't normally find. I am not sure why though. But again, Fassbender was outstanding.

8.5/10

Prometheus

Unlike many others, I didn't go into the film expecting it to be like Alien or have any real connection to Alien. I took it has a stand alone story. It was visually stunning and epic. The characters were rather forgettable but I wasn't expecting a serious character driven plot. I found the story to be interesting but there were some plot holes. Also, I found some of the story really forced. It was a good sci-fi film. Nothing outstanding but enjoyable. But, Fassbender's performance was one of the main highlights.

7/10

Inglorious Basterds

I do enjoy Tarantino's films and this was no different. It was a good and fun film, which clearly didn't take it self seriously. Christopher Waltz was fantastic in it. Stole every scene he was in. It is nowhere near one of Tarantino's best films, but it is still very good. I also enjoyed how Tarantino split the story into chapters, it did stop the film from becoming a mess.

7/10

Edited by Lisandro

Philadelphia. Tom Hanks is a homosexual lawyer who gets AIDS and gets fired from his job, he then sues the practice(not sure if that's the right word) because he thinks it was because he was gay and had AIDS. He hired Densel Washington to defend him and it's mostly about the court case.

Really good. Hanks is tremendous and Washington puts in a great showing, something I've never really found with him. Great story and some good courtroom drama thrown in. 7/10.

Slither. Michael Rooker becomes infected with an alien parasite and his wife, Elizabeth Banks and local cop, Nathon Fillian, need to fight it. It's really funny with a twist of horror thrown in. The effects and whatnot aren't great but it's hilarious so I guess that probably is meant to add to the comedy. 7/10

Prometheus

As an Alien fan... I liked it. I liked the subtle links it has with Alien, and the end, well it never ruined it for me, it made it! And Noomi Rapace :wub:

7/10

Prometheus

As an Alien fan... I liked it. I liked the subtle links it has with Alien, and the end, well it never ruined it for me, it made it! And Noomi Rapace :wub:

7/10

Is Noomi Rapace in it? Lovely!

She's got something about her, especially as Lisbeth Salander in the Millennium Trilogy of films (The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo etc).

Swedish version obviously!

Prometheus

7/10

Is Noomi Rapace in it? Lovely!

She's got something about her, especially as Lisbeth Salander in the Millennium Trilogy of films (The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo etc).

Swedish version obviously!

Bullit

Took me a while to get into the film, but by the end I was quite liking it.

I'm sure it was ground breaking at the time, but certainly one I could watch again.

7/10

Try 'Vanishing Point' (1971?) version.............

Melancholia ( 2011 )

Wow. One of them ones that creeps up on you even after you've watched it. I slowly realised I had watched something fairly special. The main plot revolves around Kirsten Dunst's wedding, and her relationship with her sister, but there's also the mystery of the planet seemingly getting closer to earth, which in turn only adds to the main plot. The performances of pretty much everyone are pretty special. I think it could have done without the pointless opening part. I'm not going to take anything away for that though, because anything less than a perfect score would do this movie a MASSIVE injustice.

10/10

Trust- 8/10

About a 14 year old who meets someone online, then meets him and discovers that he's actually 35. He rapes her but she's still convinced that he actually loves and cares for her.

Was sitting absolutely disgusted at some parts but completely gripped by it at the same time.

Just watched this as it sounded interesting and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was almost crying at a few parts along with the characters but managed to compose myself. Great storyline, a film which portrays very well the feelings of everyone involved. I think Clive Owen's especially brilliant in it, but all the characters and actors who played them are fantastic. I'd give it a 9/10.

It's horrible when you see the rape through his video camera, unexpected and sickening. Clever at the end when you see the home footage of "Charlie" as well. Makes you wonder if he will ever be caught.

Surveillance ( 2008 )

Things take a wee down turn here. :P Okay, this is still a fun ride. Basically, two FBI agents are investigating a bunch of killings, and have a bunch of witnesses to question and we see things through their eyes. It all goes a bit mental and gets a bit unintentionally hilarious, but in this film's case, it kinda adds to the charm, so I can live with it. All in all, I quite enjoyed this.

7/10

Moonrise Kingdom

Classic quirky Wes Anderson, exactly what you expect from him, with a few extra surprises.

My favourite thing about it is the range of brilliant conflicting characters whose interactions are explosive and a joy to watch- Edward Norton's very serious scoutmaster was a particular favourite. Children doing mature things is usually a bit of a cheap laugh but it works brilliantly here, largely thanks to some excellent child acting.

It is a ridiculous film and not at all in a bad way, that's what it has in its favour. The comic mannerisms and set pieces were brilliant but it was a bit too obviously cool and cute throughout, and even though that's pretty much what it's meant to be, it doesn't appeal to me as much.

6.5/10

The Angels' Share

Much more my thing, right up my street. And an absolute treat.

Ken Loach just never disappoints me, everything he involves himself in is golden. Intentionally or not, it's a crowd-pleaser for all Glaswegians (to most people here it's observational comedy), but it's so much more than that- philosophical, tangible, empathetic, heart-wrenching and - most importantly, and effectively - genuine.

I've heard it hailed as this generation's The Full Monty, but for me it's got the exact Trainspotting moral of the search for criminal redemption and reformation (in Scotland), with the loveable wrongdoer persona of one of my childhood favourites, Ocean's Eleven. I'm a sucker for flawed heroes.

Quick addition about the players: Paul Brannigan was a great wee find for the lead role, a really nice performance which although authentic and pitch perfect wasn't the most challenging. John Henshaw never ceases to be likeable, trustworthy and hilarious- delivers those one-liners like a stand-up comedian! Nice novelty having Ford Kiernan's instantly recognisable voice at the start, too. Those little touches, among others, galvanise my score for this film.

10/10

Edited by Albino Rover

Super (2010)

Low budget Superhero spoof type film about a fat guy who after Kevin Bacon steals his ex-junkie wife (played by Liv Tyler) takes it upon himself to be a vigilante, then he gets Ellen Page as his assistant (she later rapes (for want of a better word) him lol, lucky b*****d!)

The quote on the box was actually true for once, it really was better than Kick-Ass.

7/10

Super (2010)

Low budget Superhero spoof type film about a fat guy who after Kevin Bacon steals his ex-junkie wife (played by Liv Tyler) takes it upon himself to be a vigilante, then he gets Ellen Page as his assistant (she later rapes (for want of a better word) him lol, lucky b*****d!)

The quote on the box was actually true for once, it really was better than Kick-Ass.

7/10

I think it's a bit misleading for them to compare the two films as they're pretty different in approach to the whole Superhero obsession. I like how fucked up in the head Ellen Page is.