What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Hidden ( 2005 )

This one gets going with a video tape watched by a couple that was left on their door. The tape basically was filiming their house from across the road. They're confused. It continues. So yeah, this is a weird one. It seemed like a pretty basic movie as far as following it goes, but then when it was done, there was definately a sense of "here... haud on... what?". I mean that in the best possible way. It's one of them movies which stay with you.

9/10

I don't know if this should be in here or not but I watched Bus 174, it was on Storyville last night on BBC 2 but it doesn't seem to be on iPlayer.

Great documentary about someone called Sandro do Nascimento, who held up a bus in Brazil, leading to a hostage situation between him and the police in the year 2000. I don't want to give too much away but it was incredible, it goes into the life of Brazilian street kids and how the police work in Brazil. It made sad and angry at the same time for most of the documentary.

9/10

I was going to give it a 8 but the last 40 minutes is really brilliant, probably because I didn't know how it would end.

The Wrestler ( 2008 )

A question that's often asked by wrestling fans is "what would you show a non-fan?" and many people reel off matches. I'd probably say that if anything will gain any appreciation for what these guys put themselves through, this is it. The sad thing is that this is a almost a nice life for many veterans. Mickey Rourke puts in a super performance, and goes above and beyond the call of duty for the role. The story with the daughter almost seems like a sob-story afterthought which takes away from it a bit for me, but the uneasy relationship with Marisa Tomei is a real highlight of the movie, as is his seemingly desperate need to hang on to his glory days. You can see it with everything he does and the way he reacts even in his every day life. It's a tragic story with not much in the way of a good feeling.

9/10

Life is Beautiful. 9/10.

Straight in to my top ten favourite films that I've ever watched.

Brilliantly funny in parts and incredibly sad in others. Amazing film.

A total must watch film that I can pretty much guarantee you will enjoy.

Caught this by total chance one night years ago, and it's still stuck with me. Just a phenomenal film. Like you say, funny and heartbreaking at the same time.

Requiem for a Dream

Love it. Was a bit apprehensive about Leto and Connolly but to their credit they performed admirably. Ellen Burstyn is fantastic though. Aronofsky does a great job in it though. The story is great. The third act is fantastic. That arm though puke.gif

8/10

Edited by forehead7

Agree with DomDom about The Wrestler, thoroughly enjoyed the film.

Just watched Catch Me If You Can, for the first time, i'd seen the ending before for some reason.

Thought it was a really good film, clever plot ( i know its a true story but still).

9/10

State of Play (2009)

American remake of the BBC mini-series of the same name, about a politician whose life is turned upside down by a host seemingly unrelated murders.

Russell Crowe, Ben Affleck and Rachel McAdams do a great job as the two lead reporters and the implicated congressman.

8/10

=====================

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)

I like the Jawas and sand people, they were funny as were the scenes in the bar with the variety of oddballs... but the film itself is pretty boring after they get on-board the space ships.

Well made, just not really my sort of film. I'll give a fairly bog standard 7/10!

GMan now resorting to little one and two word posts to hide the fact he's talking shite about the trailers.

The Wicker Tree ( 2011 )

Now for some ACTUAL shite. This is a supposed sequel to The Wicker Man, directed and written by the same man. Watching this, you'd think it was the remake, given the shit acting, unintentional comedy and just pure shite on display, but it's actually the guy that did the original. It follows a similar plot, with a young virgin lassie being planned for a sacrifice.

1/10

Didn't want to give away one of the answers on the Film Quiz but I watched Quiz Show a few nights ago. Great film. I'm a huge John Turturro fan so it's nice to see him getting a big role. Ralph Fiennes is great as well, he's tremendous as well. Tremendous story with a great surrounding cast with Hank Azaria, Christopher McDonald(forgot to give him props for Requiem for a Dream) and David Paymer. Great story. Good, solid 7/10.

The Wrestler ( 2008 )

A question that's often asked by wrestling fans is "what would you show a non-fan?" and many people reel off matches. I'd probably say that if anything will gain any appreciation for what these guys put themselves through, this is it. The sad thing is that this is a almost a nice life for many veterans. Mickey Rourke puts in a super performance, and goes above and beyond the call of duty for the role. The story with the daughter almost seems like a sob-story afterthought which takes away from it a bit for me, but the uneasy relationship with Marisa Tomei is a real highlight of the movie, as is his seemingly desperate need to hang on to his glory days. You can see it with everything he does and the way he reacts even in his every day life. It's a tragic story with not much in the way of a good feeling.

9/10

This is a great film. Rourke and Tomei are both fantastic in it

Boy A (2007) 8/10

A gripping compelling story about a young man (Andrew Garfield) who has spent years in prison for committing murder as a child, has just recently been released & been appointed a supervisor (Peter Mullen) to help him with his new identity & integrate into society. His new life starts well, but his past eventually catches up with him causing devastating effects for all concerned. Well worth a watch!

Edited by Greenlantern

Captain America 77%

I think this was a lot better than the criticism it came under. But then, I am a sucker for Marvel films(except maybe the first hulk, that was rather shite). Wetted my appetite for the Avengers film, which will be getting watched.

Cedar Falls 60%

Nothing special about it. Ed Helm, John C Reilly being cast in had my hopes up. The only real funny bits of it however was the guy who played the Senator in the wire(ssshhhhhiiiiiiiiittttt) referring to the show in that Ironic way that I'm a sucker for.

Footloose 66%

I'd never seen it before funnily enough. Can't beat an OTT 80s film. Hey how do I sort out a feud with the high school jock? Lets have a game of tractor chicken :lol:

Watched a 3 movies at the weekend there.

Captain America 3/10

I used to like comic book movies but each new one disappoints. This was poor to say the least. It was one of the movies where I could completely zone out for 10 minutes and still get what's going on. Not much more to add really. Only watched this for the avengers tie in.

Thor 5/10

Preferred this a at least it had a bit more of a substantial plot. Again only watched this for the avengers tie in. What I would say is I would do nasty things to Natalie Portman.

50/50 8/10

Really enjoyed this. A young lads battle with cancer. Tidy birds gives it an extra point.

Sorry these are not more descriptive but using the phone.