What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Anyone seen "Scent of a Woman" with Al Pacino? Was on the TV last night and I've got it recorded.

Let me know if it's any good, I've got it in a Pacino box set but haven't seen it. It's in one of my former mates top five all time films, although he has Gladiator in that list, so I wouldn't read too much into that!

Let me know if it's any good, I've got it in a Pacino box set but haven't seen it. It's in one of my former mates top five all time films, although he has Gladiator in that list, so I wouldn't read too much into that!

It is very good but Pacino's performance commands the whole film rather than the plot or direction. Some of the scenes are an absolute pleasure to watch, and a very rewarding ending. I'd give it 7/10.

And he does say ooh ah in it.

The Conversation - 8/10

I had written out a proper review for this but some computer problems have really let me down and I can't be bothered typing the whole thing up again. <_<

What I will say is that Mr Hackman gives a superb performance that could very easily be underdone, and the supporting performance of John Cazale (Fredo from Godfather) is also very well done.

Very intense, very interesting and faster paced than you would imagine, well worth your time.

Contagion.

Watched this last night. Decent enough film. Very decent cast. Kept me watching.

Basis - Contract a virus, spread it (accidentally), mass epidemic, find a cure, all is well, explanation at end. End of film. Standard enough stuff.

Even though shes only in it in fleeting moments, i love Gweneth Paltrow, only reason its a 7 and not a 6.

7/10

Human Traffic was on the TV a couple of nights ago. Not a bad film. Considering the it has Danny Dyer in it the film doesn't suffer as a result. I'd give it 7/10 .

Human Traffic was on the TV a couple of nights ago. Not a bad film. Considering the it has Danny Dyer in it the film doesn't suffer as a result. I'd give it 7/10 .

I quite like it for a film. However when people start quoting John Simm on 'that speech', I die a little inside.

Bobby Fischer Against the World

Tremendous documentary following the life of chess legend Bobby Fischer as he defeated Soviet world champion Boris Spassky in 1972, made chess suddenly rock n roll. and subsequently went into mental meltdown. Fischer at his peak had a strange charisma about him which I found really appealing. Sad to see how he degenerated into such a paranoid rambling character. I really dug Spassky's cool rockabilly hairstyle. Note - you don't need to care about chess to appreciate this film.

8/10

Mission impossible Ghost Protocol 9/10

due to part 2 and 3 being pretty shit i wasn't expecting much, but i thought this film was brilliant. the gadgets and filming locations were good.

and Simon Pegg, one of the best actors just now imo, was brilliant in it.

Some c**t recommend me a newish film that is a great watch. Goosebump ending type.

The Fighter is my favourite film from the last couple of years. Hurt Locker is class aswell but it doesnt have a big ending. Xmen First Class is good too if you like that type of thing.

Good Will Hunting 9/10

Hadn't seen this since it was first released.

Absolutely brilliant film. The scenes with Sean (Williams) and Will (Damon) are just superb. Particularly the scene by the lake when Sean just talks for ages about how Will may know about everything but has experienced nothing. Really brilliant dialogue all through the film.

Love the 'How do you like them apples?' scene. Class.

Robin Williams is a bit of an enigma. Flubber? Bicentenial man? Pish. But then GWH and Good Morning Vietnam absolutely superb. (Maybe he should stick to movies with titles beginning with Good?)

I suppose variety is the spice of life and all that.

Robin Williams is a bit of an enigma. Flubber? Bicentenial man? Pish. But then GWH and Good Morning Vietnam absolutely superb. (Maybe he should stick to movies with titles beginning with Good?)

As for Robin Williams, he's a good actor when playing straight roles in fairly straight films. He can play a brilliant creep. The comedy stuff is just poor though.

Agree with that, but not forgetting his great voice-overs: Aladdin contains some of his finest work, IMO!

When mentioning Williams though, it's impossible to leave out Dead Poets Society. A fine film and a great perfomance.

They both have a storyline revolving around men fighting in a ring. There ends the comparison.

Both quality films.

It's the same storyline. Loser needs money, returns to fighting, goes through an emotional roller-coaster with his family and wins the fight.

Warrior is the better film though, although The Fighter is a quality film it's not quite in the same league!

His best film was Insomnia!

Edited by SaltyTON

It's the same storyline. Loser needs money, returns to fighting, goes through an emotional roller-coaster with his family and wins the fight.

Warrior is the better film though, although The Fighter is a quality film it's not quite in the same league!

His best film was Insomnia!

Meh Micky Ward wasn't really doing it for the money, it was more about repairing the broken legacy of his family. I will have to grab a copy of Warrior on dvd if its as good as you say (you will be sent a bill if it turns out to be gash ;) )

Also agree that Williams best serious performance was in Insomnia, it feels more special seeing him playing a villain and he does it so well. Best comedy performance must be Aladdin or Mrs Doubtfire though (Maybe Good Morning Vietnam up there too)

Had a wee double feature tonight (because I'm a boring b*****d and have to work tomorrow)

The Class - 8/10

Was forced to go out and get this after a colleague pestered me about seeing it for the last month or two and I'm pleased that he did. It's astonishing to think that the cast is made up of almost entirely non-professional actors (kids and teachers from the high-school that was used). Basically an insight into a term in a Parisian high school, focussing mostly on a French teacher and the pupils from one of his classes. Honestly, a plot summary doesnt do it justice, it sounds average and foreign language films can put some folk off but it's very engrossing and unturnoffable (I have patented this word, please credit me if you decide to steal it :ph34r::P )

Frozen River - 8/10

Very moving drama about a middle aged woman whos husband has left her and her two kids poor. She coincidentally meets a native American people trafficker and it leads on from here. Melissa Leo gives an incredible performance that you can really identify with her character who's going through such a tough situation.