What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Transporter 2 (2005)

So fucking ridiculous that you can't help but love it! It takes everything ridiculous about Die Another Day, Die Hard 4.0, Crank and Taken, rolls them up into one giant ball of nonsense, and makes a really fun hour and a quarter of utter stupidity.

This time Statham is acting as a driver for a rich couple taking their son to school and back, when he gets asked to take him to the doctors an evil Colombian drug cartel have hired a mercenary to kidnap him and, well, you know what Frank is going to do... that's right, kick some fucking arse!

I can't give it higher than my spoof mark because of the content, but dear God that was good fun.

The best scenes for stupidity involve him fighting a dozen armed ninjas with only a hose as a weapon, finding an inventive way to remove a bomb from under his car in mid-air without leaving his seat and a crazy assassin called Lola who flies about a room using chains in an act which defies a whole lot more than just gravity!

7/10

Cedar Rapids - Was the only thing on when we pitched up to the cinema and didn't expect much but was pleasently surprised - Ed Helms plays a straight laced insurance agent thrust into the 'deep end' at an insurance agent conference, where he is forced to room with John C Reilly and Clay Davis from the Wire. Starts pretty slowly but develops into a great watch. Alia Shawkat is in it, she is very pretty.

The Fantastic Mr Fox

The always entertaining Wes (not Paul) Andersen takes the helm for this animation, loosely based on the Roald Dahl novel. Features an all star cast - pretty much all of The Life Aquatic and beautifully animated, this wasn't what I was expecting at all. It's actually faintly reminiscent of the animated sequences in The Life Aquatic and full of the same absurdist humour which you either love or loathe. I'm definitely in the first category, although I could quite see a whole load of angry parents and bored kids, as this clearly isn't aimed at the same market as the book. Several laugh out loud moments. 7.7/10

Incendiary.

Some skanky east end slut is having an affair with Ewen McGregor, and whilst he's feeding her the boaby on the couch with the Arsenal v Chelsea game on the telly (Which her husband and son are at) the stadium is blown up by suicide bombers. Then it's about her struggle with the guilt, and the Met cover up of the whole thing.

A pile of shite, it gets 1/10 because said slut got her paps oot.

Wish I'd read this review before watching this pile of shite last week.

I went to see Insidious tonight. I really enjoyed it.

The first half of this film is great, it excellently builds suspense, you're not too sure what is going on. It continues to build well until it is quite scary. Then during the second half of the film it kinda dies really, it becomes like a Shyamalan film with some unbelievable nonsense. Despite this is picks up again towards the end, and throughout the dips remains quite scary. I realise this film probably isn't to everyone's taste, but I enjoyed it.

7.9/10 - Would have been higher but for the dip in the middle.

Jigsaw (Video 2002)

Really low budget US horror about an arts class that have to take a part of a dummy and decorate it to represent their life.

It seems extremely familiar and I'm sure I could totally recognise the first scene from somewhere, but I've definitely not seen this film.

I'm slightly worried that I've seen films that both the directors have worked on... Picardi (Final Scream; Legend of the Mummy 2) and Adams (Killjoy 2)!

Acting wasn't as bad as it usually is in these low budget films, and the concept was fairly inventive. Fun to watch and the characters seemed to all have their own traits for a change!

5/10

The first half of this film is great, it excellently builds suspense, you're not too sure what is going on. It continues to build well until it is quite scary. Then during the second half of the film it kinda dies really, it becomes like a Shyamalan film with some unbelievable nonsense. Despite this is picks up again towards the end, and throughout the dips remains quite scary. I realise this film probably isn't to everyone's taste, but I enjoyed it.

Scariest film I have ever seen. I hate demons and supernatural horrors.

I usually don't get scared at horrors (blood guts gore) but supernatural stuff really creeps me out, love the film :D although some of it was unbelievable. :(

Triloquist (Video 2008)

AKA Dummy in this country...

I love comedy horrors, and this is just hilarious! It's about a retard and his sister going about with their dead heroin addict mother's dummy killing people. The box says "Chucky meets Natural Born Killers" and it couldn't be more bang on the money!

Funny as hell, the special effects are pretty bad but it's so shit it's brilliant!

Usual 7/10 good spoof/comedy horror mark!

Insidious

I went along with a mate even though I was pretty sure I wouldn't like it. My suspicions were correct although I probably didn't dislike it quite as much as I thought I would.

As stated previously, the end section is what really lets it down as it turns into little more than the equivalent of a cheap ghost train ride. The final surprise is absolutely no surprise for anyone that has seen a film like this before.

The first half of the film utilises all the tricks to try and get the audience jumping and one or two actually work well. There's one scare in particular that wasn't just a jump but was a very creep image and that, for me, was the only really commendable part of the film.

3/10

The Wind that Shakes the Barley, part of film 4's films for life series they have on at the moment - Really enjoyed this film about brothers who take up arms in Irelands fight for freedom in the 1920's, basically an account of the rise of the IRA. Didnt know much about this subject before watching this film and was quite shocked to see how the British treated the Irish, some of the scenes in the film are not for the faint hearted.

Overall - 8/10, the ending would be the only complaint i have about this film

Edited by tintax

I thought it was as good a first half of any horror I have watched in a while. Just a shame it all went to shit. Felt more like a TV movie near the end.

It was as if someone else took over script writing duties half way thru. As soon as the ghostbusters turned up the whole thing went to shit. It really was a shame because it was genuinely creepy for the first 45 minutes or so.

Battle LA,

Good action scenes, lots of confused shouting and shooting with tracer fire zipping in from an unseen enemy.

Although you can pick the ending from a short list of sci-fi invasion films that have gone before, it doesn't spoil it much at all.

7.5/10

Edit because my iPod does my head in.

Edited by stimpy

It was as if someone else took over script writing duties half way thru. As soon as the ghostbusters turned up the whole thing went to shit. It really was a shame because it was genuinely creepy for the first 45 minutes or so.

I thought the two ghostbuster guys were quite funny, but ruined the film. As I, and everyone else has said, it was good until the halfway point and then they ruined it.

I watched Four Lions on DVD last night.

A film about "English" Home Grown terrorists, quite apt since Bin Laden got killed.

Quite funny, not constant laughs, but all in all, a good way to spend 90mins

7/10

Thor - 3D was really uncomfortable so we got off to a bad start,

Story wasn't much - typically fluffy love plot chucked into it for good measure.

Exciting enough in the later stages but pretty predictable tosh.

2/5