What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Watched 'The Invention of Lying' last night.

One or two chuckles at clever signs, like: "A sad place for hopeless old people" on an old folks home, but as usual it was a pile of banal Hollywood shite with Gervais getting the girl in the end, predictably. All he did throughout the entire film was his David Brent act. Pish.

3/10

Couples Retreat

An absolute disgrace. The lack of effort put into this thing is astonishing. No laughs whatsoever, just a whole lot of smugness. You could argue that I was probably letting myself in for it given the cast but the presence of Jason Batemen gave me a little hope. Vince Vaughan and Jon Faverau need to get a grip.

0/10

Couples Retreat

An absolute disgrace. The lack of effort put into this thing is astonishing. No laughs whatsoever, just a whole lot of smugness. You could argue that I was probably letting myself in for it given the cast but the presence of Jason Batemen gave me a little hope. Vince Vaughan and Jon Faverau need to get a grip.

0/10

yeah, but vince got paid to work in Bora Bora for a wee while, he's not daft.

Anyhoo, The Magnificant Seven. 11/10 absolutely love it.

Watched Spun last night. Independent film with Jason Schwartzmen, Brittany Murphy, Mickey Rourke and others that I can only name other characters they've played. The chick that played Heather in American Pie and the mexican guy in the Dawn of the Dead remake, might have been Day of the Dead. The one where they are on the island.

I loved it. Not gonna give away endings or anything but it's a weird trippy drug film. As the title suggests it's about cocaine.

(Being spun is when you stay up days on end while taking drugs like cocaine, stimulants.)

The acting was good and there was some nudity aswell :D

8/10

Zombieland (2009)

My two favourite things, Zombies and comedy horror, put together perfectly. Shame they ran, but it was kinda needed for this film.

Emma Stone makes an apocalypse seem like a good thing. :)

Classic cameo from Bill Murray was genius!

9/10 - needed more nods to Romero's work, a la Survival of the Dead which he just made a complete spoof out of his original trilogy.

Got The Damned United and District 9 last week in a 2 dvds for a tenner deal from HMV.

Both definately worth seeing. I hadn't actually heard of District 9 but just picked it up out of curiousity. I think it got overshadowed last year because of Avatar and all it's fancy gimmicks. D9 actually has a really original concept.

Got The Damned United and District 9 last week in a 2 dvds for a tenner deal from HMV.

Both definately worth seeing. I hadn't actually heard of District 9 but just picked it up out of curiousity. I think it got overshadowed last year because of Avatar and all it's fancy gimmicks. D9 actually has a really original concept.

Was truly original... think every 'civilised' nation has done something similar to one race or another.

I think Pocahontas 2 was a better film, it was just hyped beyond believe because of that tit Cameron.

Just come back from watching The Illusionist at The Filmhouse in Edinburgh. It's not a thriller to say the least. It's a cartoon realisation of an unused Jacques Tati screenplay but when I say cartoon, this is one of the best animations I've seen. It's difficult to describe it but it represents Edinburgh around 1960 in a warm glow. The plot is non-existent but if you want to see your own country as a Frenchman (the producer, not Tati) sees it through a romantic eye and you don't mind the lack of action this is for you.

Difficult to rate as some would think it worthless through the lack of action but if you have an eye for art, this is worth 8/10.

Just come back from watching The Illusionist at The Filmhouse in Edinburgh. It's not a thriller to say the least. It's a cartoon realisation of an unused Jacques Tati screenplay but when I say cartoon, this is one of the best animations I've seen. It's difficult to describe it but it represents Edinburgh around 1960 in a warm glow. The plot is non-existent but if you want to see your own country as a Frenchman (the producer, not Tati) sees it through a romantic eye and you don't mind the lack of action this is for you.

Difficult to rate as some would think it worthless through the lack of action but if you have an eye for art, this is worth 8/10.

I disagree. Tattichef is an anachronism, an entertainer from a bygone era who, like many others, is now having to compete with the advent of rock and roll. His chance encounter with the Scotsman, his gig in Iona and the attachment the girl has for him, genuinely believing he can produce magic and her subsequently leaving him when she finds love leaves the Illusionist disillusioned and he returns to his homeland.

It is a beautifully animated film with superb incidental music, composed by Chomet. You're right in that it isn't for everyone.

Starman (1984) - Dir. John Carpenter

Voyager sends out its multimedia, multi-language message to the cosmos. Jeff bridges is the alien who replies.

His ship is shot at by the USAF and he crash lands in rural USA. He takes on the form of Karen Allen's recently deceased husband and makes her drive him to the big crater in Arizona. The authorities find out where they are going and are in hot pursuit.

Carpenter made "The Thing" less that 2 years before and Starman couldn't be more different. Initially a sci-fi movie, it becomes a road movie and ultimately a love story. Bridges is superb as the alien, his twitchy movements, speech patterns and just off-kilter weirdness is thoroughly convincing without resorting to special effects...just great acting.

The ending would make even the glassiest eye well up.

Ideal for a night in with your loved one

8/10