What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Watched two films tonight, the first was Paths of Glory which gets 10/10 from me. About French soldiers in the First World War on the frontline with Germany. That doesn't really say much about it at all but it really is a great film, Kirk Douglas is excellent.

The second was Glory, about the first regiment of black soldiers who were allowed to fight in the American Civil War. A good watch and although I thought the ending was appropriate, it felt a wee bit rushed. 8/10.

Pusher - 6.5/10

Danish film about a drug dealer who, after throwing dope in a lake after a police raid, has 2 days to get his boss his £230,000.

Quite enjoyed the film and actually felt for the main character who, despite not being the nicest human being, is somehow quite likeable. Watching him get more and more desperate in the ways he tries to get the money and figuring out who he can trust is really intense.

Despite the above points, it takes a little while to get to the main premise and drags a little at certain points.

The Illusionist ( 2006 )

Much like the other period movie about magicians, this one got a wee bit silly towards the climax, but it's still a really good movie. It's all a bit slow, but I don't think it would have worked as well if it was fast moving stuff, so that can be forgiven.

8/10

We Own the Night - 7/10

Fast moving crime thriller with good performances from Mark Wahlberg and Robert Duvall and a stand-out Joaquin Phoenix as a nightclub boss who must choose between his drug-dealing associates and his respected police family (Wahlberg and Duvall).

Some great scenes, one in particular in which Phoenix speaks through gritted teeth when

Nezhinski admits to having had Phoenixs' brother shot and that his father is next

Only downpoint perhaps is that i found the change

from slightly dodgy nightclub boss to decorated police officer

a bit too quick and slightly unrealistic.

Eva Mendes is ridiculously hot in it too.

Legends of the Fall (1994)

This went on, and on, and on...

Nothing much happened, was always on the edge of just making it into the positive, without ever getting there.

If someone had followed through on their particular cliche, like the indian scalping the barman that refused to serve him, then it might have just scraped it.

Far too long, and no-one worth caring about, let alone for 2.5 hours

5/10

Watched the Michael Haneke film 'Hidden' last night ,after being recommended constantly by someone I gave in and bought it for a fiver in HMV

Its a French thriller about a TV presenter who is getting sent mysterious packages and tapes basically of his house, so it starts off as a voyeuristic thing but he soon thinks he knows who has done it and he goes off on one.....

Not as much action as there could have been which is probably the point so when something shocking does happen it hits pretty hard. Finished with me still trying to decide if I liked it or not, it definately made me think and it is a fantastically well made film.

6.5/10

Watched the Michael Haneke film 'Hidden' last night ,after being recommended constantly by someone I gave in and bought it for a fiver in HMV

Its a French thriller about a TV presenter who is getting sent mysterious packages and tapes basically of his house, so it starts off as a voyeuristic thing but he soon thinks he knows who has done it and he goes off on one.....

Not as much action as there could have been which is probably the point so when something shocking does happen it hits pretty hard. Finished with me still trying to decide if I liked it or not, it definately made me think and it is a fantastically well made film.

6.5/10

I found that film really frustrating and ultimately quite disappointing.

Today I saw Burn after Reading and thoroughly enjoyed it. Brad Pitt was the stand out for me, easily the most under rated actor around. I thought it was very Fargoesque in many ways. 7.5/10 from me.