What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Blades of Glory ( 2007 )

It's amazing that a movie with two unbelievably unlikeable lead characters can actually be as much fun as this is. It's not blowaway or anything, but I'm beginning to like Will Ferrell a wee bit more after this, adding some weird charm to Chazz Michaels, the sex addict figure skater. It's a fun comedy that's not going to be remembered as a classic.

7/10

Farce of the Penguins (2006) (V)

If it didn't have penguins in it, it would suck as it wasn't very funny.

How the hell they managed to get such a well known cast to agree to this I don't know.

Samuel L Jackson

Jason Alexander

Christina Applegate

James Belushi

Jason Biggs

Drea de Matteo

Whoopi Goldberg

Gilbert Gottfried

Alyson Hannigan

Jamie Kennedy

Jon Lovitz :angry:

6/10 as it was fun in parts, although nothing special.

Gomorra

A film about the Camorra, the Neapolitan Mafia. Five intertwining stories are covered, detailing the grip organised crime has on Naples and the impact on the population. One story involves a 13 year old working his way into the local gang culminating with him 'proving' himself in a shocking way, another deals with a mafia money distributor who hands out cash to the relatives of dead or imprisoned camorista in the unassuming manner of an insurance salesman. He ends up becoming involved in a brutal feud. The other stories detail the path taken by two young thugs, detailing the brutality and senselessness of trying to 'make it' as a gangster, the story of a tailor who becomes a victim of the mob's contorl of the garmet industry and, most chillingly, how the mafia dispose of toxic waste by burying it in the countryside around Naples poisoning the local land and people.

It's based on the book by Roberto Saviano which caused a sensation when it was released. The film doesn't really have an overarching narrative - it really looks to cumulatively show the corruption and degradation of life in Naples caused by the influence of organised crime. It's almost like a documentary, the violence isn't stylised at all - one assassination happens literally in less than a second, far removed from the Hollywood gunfights you see in most crime films. Also, the assassins in the film are drugged up kids or fat middle aged men in poorly fitting shorts and vests rather than any notion of suave glamour. It's quite long and isn't a conventionally satisfying film to watch - the film doesn't come to a climax in the sense that everything isn't tied off. It is an important film though - perhaps an antidote to assinine treatments of organised crime by showing the depravity and ugliness of murder and the mob.

The film ends with a few statistics about crime in Naples - if you piled up all the toxic waste dumped by the Camorra it would be almost twice as high as Everestl; the Camorra have killed 3,000 people in the last thirty years, more than any other criminal organisation and one murder every three days; some of teh £100bn+ they earn through crime has been invested in teh rebuilding of the World Trade Centre. Frightening stuff - apparently the book details a Camorra clan who relocated to Aberdeen to run their operations, so mind what's in those mock chop suppers Doric loons!

No need to watch it now ;)

The Boy With The Striped Pyjamas 9/10.

Fantastic film, which everyone should go and see. Won't spoil it by ruining the plot, but set around the family of a German concentration camp commandant in the Second World War.

Was the weirdest aftermath to any film I've been to see. After it finished no one in the audience moved during the credits rolling for well over a minute.

MarreZ recommended the book to me a few months ago and said that the movie looked good.

One of the few movies I actually want to go to the flicks too see.

My son and I got a few of DVDs to watch yesterday...

Sky High- 7/10

Cheesy Disney film about a super-hero High School. It's between Harry Potter Mean Girls and High School Musical and is surprisingly decent. Doesn't take itself too seriously and there's not the usual preachyness which blights a lot of kids' films.

Scooby-Doo -3/10

Scooby-don't. Appalling.

The Iron Giant 9/10

One of the best animated movies I've ever seen. Clever and funny and moving. It's not one of those films that 'work on two levels' i.e. a few double entendres thrown in to the script; it's just a movie that both adults and kids will enjoy because it's so well written and produced. Tremendous!

Edited by Half A Person

Watched Saw IV (2007) again, can't really say much as it was a shit copy and couldn't see a bloody thing.

What I did see it was still bloody confusing as there was so much to-ing and fro-ing with the time line, and I'm not that good with facial recognition.

Take a mark off (from the 9/10 I gave it when I saw it at the cinema) as the ending was a bit crappy.

8/10

Watched Saw IV (2007) again, can't really say much as it was a shit copy and couldn't see a bloody thing.

What I did see it was still bloody confusing as there was so much to-ing and fro-ing with the time line, and I'm not that good with facial recognition.

Take a mark off (from the 9/10 I gave it when I saw it at the cinema) as the ending was a bit crappy.

8/10

Cant wait for Saw V this weekend :D