What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Atonement

I was pretty dissapointed with this one, wasn't sure what to expect but was hoping for a bit more of a concrete watchable story. It kind of jumps around a bit and shows so a scene from one point of view before showing it again from another. Wasn't the worst film I have seen but didn't enjoy it too much.

5/10

Somers Town

This is the latest film from the director Shane Meadows, (This Is England, A Room For Romeo Brass et al) and features the young actor from This Is England, who is fantastic again.

It's the story of a young runaway from Nottingham who befriends a Polish boy in London, and it is fairly heartwarming with some laugh out loud moments. One real flaw in it is that I found the friendship they developed with the delightfully attractive French waitress, who they are both smitten with, kind of unbelievable, and the ending is also pretty lousy. Still enjoyed it though.

Guest dougalldogg

The Gameplan 8/10

Not my kind of movie but really enjoyed it, few bits made me laugh but overall quite a good story although slightly unbelievable in bits.

I was thinking to myself, "why have they let kids in for an 18 certificate", then it turns out it is a 12a, not even a 12,

What made you think it would be an 18? First one was a 12.

Gallipoli (1980)

7/10

The battle scenes at the end reflect the fact that the generals in charge didn't have a fucking clue. The soldiers were even told to remove the bullets from their rifles before going over the top. Good film without having to rely on mutilated body parts flying everywhere.

Death Race (2008)

It had issues from before it even started, it was Paul WS Anderson, Stallone's character was now black. It was inside a prison, it was turned into a version of Mario Kart where you had to drive over little mark on the ground to get your weapons activated.

But damn it was entertaining, and you build up an overwhelming hatred towards Joan Allen's character (Hennessey, the head of the jail that is making lots of money on the live internet streaming.

Robin Shou (Mortal Kombat, DOA) in a PWSA film, who'd have thunk it? :lol:

For all I hate PWSA (for Event Horizon and AVP) and for being married to Milla Jovovich, he does do homages well in the main.

7/10

Somers Town

This is the latest film from the director Shane Meadows, (This Is England, A Room For Romeo Brass et al) and features the young actor from This Is England, who is fantastic again.

It's the story of a young runaway from Nottingham who befriends a Polish boy in London, and it is fairly heartwarming with some laugh out loud moments. One real flaw in it is that I found the friendship they developed with the delightfully attractive French waitress, who they are both smitten with, kind of unbelievable, and the ending is also pretty lousy. Still enjoyed it though.

Thats the one which was funded entirely by eurostar or something. Its supposed to have som totally random references to being able to get to the heart of Europe in 2hrs on the train and shit like that.

Watched two today.

Lemming ( 2005 )

The first 45 minutes are reasonably normal. I say reasonably, because there's a wonderfully mental woman involved who completely steals the show with her piercing eyes. She seems to be the embodiment of evil. And then the movie takes a more ridiculous turn, derails and never really seems to get back on track. It's definately worth catching the first 45 minutes though, as it makes for some unsettling viewing at times. Once the movie gets going beyond that, it's a bit of a mindfuck with all sorts going on. I won't go thumbs down on this, but be warned.

6/10

And ...

Dead Man's Shoes ( 2004 )

A movie that has been ranted and raved about since it's release, and with good reason as well. The way things unfold and the reasons for what's going on is a slow burner, but the atmosphere is tense all of the way through. The first time you see the gas mask, it's a pretty frightening sight. There's some wee bits of humour, but most of the way, this isn't pleasant viewing, and it gets even worse towards the climax.

9/10

Thats the one which was funded entirely by eurostar or something. Its supposed to have som totally random references to being able to get to the heart of Europe in 2hrs on the train and shit like that.

I didn't realise that Eurostar had some involvement with it until after I'd seen it, but the totally gratuitous reference you mention did strike me as really strange at the time. It also explains the aforementioned lousy ending.

Unforgiven ( 1992 )

It doesn't get much better than this. I didn't really have to watch this again to rate it, but in the interest of fairness, I decided to watch it anyways. Clint Eastwood is a horrible actor at times, but he's at his very best here as the washed up assassin going out to get justice for a whore who got her face cut. Then you have the deserved Oscar winner, Gene Hackman. Most certainly not a bad man, but because of the unfolding of the story, he becomes something of a villain of the piece. Probably the best western I've seen.

10/10

Shi mian mai fu (2004)

Known in this country as House of Flying Daggers, but it's in Mandarin with English subtitles, so we'll call it by it's Mandarin name.

Just a brilliant film, which would have been a higher score but for it losing a mark under the Event Horizon rule.

Definitely worth a watch!

8/10