What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Hostel: Part II (2007)

5/10

Gets a higher score than the original on the ground that it made me laugh in a 'funny ha ha' way rather than a 'this is so shit it's funny' kinda way.

The football scene at the end gained it a point, as would have been a 4 same as the first one until that one scene. :lol:

Hostel: Part II (2007)

5/10

Gets a higher score than the original on the ground that it made me laugh in a 'funny ha ha' way rather than a 'this is so shit it's funny' kinda way.

The football scene at the end gained it a point, as would have been a 4 same as the first one until that one scene. :lol:

I Think Hostel 1 + 2 Are Absalute Great Films :o

About as wrong as the spelling of absolute I'd say. Anyways.

Breaking the Waves

Emily Watson's performance as the delusional wife trying her husband better is horrible to watch, in a good way of course. This is a grim, grim movie with one of the most horrible scenes I've seen in a movie. There's a certain point in the movie where you feel like shouting at the woman "DON'T DO THIS !". This isn't pleasant viewing, but don't make any mistake. This is an absolutely amazing movie.

10/10

Edited by DomDom

About as wrong as the spelling of absolute I'd say. Anyways.

Breaking the Waves

Emily Watson's performance as the delusional wife trying her husband better is horrible to watch, in a good way of course. This is a grim, grim movie with one of the most horrible scenes I've seen in a movie. There's a certain point in the movie where you feel like shouting at the woman "DON'T DO THIS !". This isn't pleasant viewing, but don't make any mistake. This is an absolutely amazing movie.

10/10

Woo hoo! The return of the Lars Von Trier debate! It's all a god awful joke! One of the worst movies ever made! 0/10 (in other words, I respectfully disagree with your review!) :P

The only problem with the LVT movies that I've seen is the length. There really isn't any need for every movie to be 2 and a half hours. Dogville and Manderlay suffered badly as a result. It's a shame, because I reckon both movies could have been much better than they were.

I don't know if movie length has been an issue in his other movies simply because I haven't seen anything else of his. The only time I've been able to understand the length is with Breaking The Waves, and that's because how hard they were driving home the fact that Emily Watson's character was delusional.

The ending of that movie was quite stunning as well. Completely out of the blue IMO.

Watched a couple of DVD's yesterday that I purchased over the weekend.

This Is England - 6/10. Wasn't how expected this to be at all. It was mildly amusing in places but I didn't think there was too much to get excited about. The young lad is the best thing in the film although that isn't saying too much.

Half Nelson - 3/10. A film about a teacher who is addicted to crack. Not a great film by any stretch of the imagination. I'm sure lovers of arty farty movies will love this but it just plods along and doesn't change pace. To be fair to Ryan Gosling (the lead actor) he does deliver a very good performance but for me there was anything visual to get excited by and the dialogue is basically a load of mumbled nonsense by a crack addict.

I survived The Holiday - 2/10

Not even Jack Black can save this turkey. I'd happily bludgeon everyone associated with this tripe.

Avoid at all costs.

Pan's Labyrinth is on Film4 tonight instead.

Pan's Labyrinth is amazing, have you seen it before? I wasn't aware it was in Spanish until I started watching so it caught me unaware but was still one of the best films I've ever seen!

PS Killing Nancy Meyers would be classed as a public service as she has directed not only that crap but also The Parent Trap, Something's Gotta Give and What Women Want.

Although bludgeoning Cameron Diaz, I'm assuming with something other than a knife? :lol:

Pan's Labyrinth is amazing, have you seen it before? I wasn't aware it was in Spanish until I started watching so it caught me unaware but was still one of the best films I've ever seen!

Agreed, it's absolutely phenomenal :D

The Golden Compass. 3/10, pish. Daniel Craig is hardly in it too. But the talking Polar bear was mighty.

The one that Ian McKellan voices? I saw it last night. It was okay but nothing special - will give it 5/10. I like the morphing of their little companions during the film. My moronic flat mate wasn't aware that it was the firxt in a triology and thought that was it when the film ended. he remarked "Well that didn't clear anything up?!" :lol:

There should be more of Eva Green I believe.

Watched a couple over the weekend.

First up was 30 Days of Night on Saturday morning as it seemed the wise choice considering my hangover.

Had a rough idea what to expect as it's not exactly a new premise for a film, but feel it worked very well. The over the top gore and violence just made it all the better. There's a great scene in the film where the camera pan's over the town and all you see are people being brutally murdered and the masses of white snow stained with blood.

Easily 8/10.

Rescue Dawn: I'm a massive fan of Christian Bale and think he's been excellent in everything I've seen him in, though I did feel this film was a little slow. I think perhaps I wasn't in the right mood for the film but I did get to the stage where I was wishing for it to end. Still, another good performance from Bale.

A generous 7/10.

Sunday morning started with The Kingdom. Wasn't sure what to expect from this film, and I was worried for the first hour as to whether it was actually going anywhere. Thankfully it geared up around this time and really got going. Again nothing new but well worth a watch. Jamie Foxx and Ashraf Barhom are fantastic in this.

9/10

American Gangster

This was by far the film that I was most looking forward too. Perhaps maybe I'd expected too much. I won't go into details so as to not spoil it for those who haven't seen it but I just felt it was really slow. Not bad performances by Washington and Crowe but I've seen them do a lot better. The storyline for me just never really got going.

6/10

3:10 to Yuma

I thought it was brilliant. I had hoped it would be good with Bale and Crowe and I wasn't led down. Both of them are great in it. I was dubious about whether I'd like it as I'm not overly fond of western type films but I'd highly recommend this to anyone.

10/10.