What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Clerks 2

Saw this years ago and enjoyed it, but was so long ago I forgot much of it.

After seeing Clerks 3 recently (twice) it seems like 2 was written just for 3.

Obviously it's the other way round.

2 opens with the Quick Stop on fire. It burns down and isn't a part of the film at all until the very end. Spoiler for a near 18 year old film fuckers.

Dante and Randal must get jobs elsewhere and so end up doing so at Mooby's (as also featured in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, although not the same branch), a fast food chain.

We cut to Dante on his last day at Mooby's, who is about to get married and f**k off to Florida, abandoning best pal Randal, with Emma (Kevin Smith's IRL wife, also in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and Clerks 3). However he also has feelings for Becky (Rosario Dawson, looking incredible), which are reciprocated, but neither can confront the truth.

Jay and Silent Bob play their usual, charming, part. This film has the humorous 'Goodbye Horses' scene with Jay and is the film in the entire Kevin Smith oeuvre in which Silent Bob says the least (his line even demonstrates this!).

Elias is introduced as a character here. He's a naive, younger, christian who works at Mooby's, who Randal loves to rip the pish out of, although there is an odd affection for him.

Anyway, shit goes down. There are debates over ass to mouth (

NEVER GO ASS TO MOUTH!!!

) which @BFTD has strong feelings on I gather. There are thoughts on the LOTR trilogy. There is a Donkey Show (again @BFTD; you know exactly what I mean). 

There are the usual cameos. There is a great soundtrack, especially a scene in which Smashing Pumpkins' 1979 features.

Edited by DA Baracus

Hellbender (arr, Jim lad) - a young girl who lives in seclusion with her mother discovers the real reason why she's been kept away from the rest of the world.

A surprisingly enjoyable slow-burn horror, with an entertaining theme of hands-on witchcraft and a mother-daughter punk rock band who are actually quite good. Bit mental; recommended if you like films like Saint Maud, although this is more fun.

Master (batten down the hatches!) - a black freshman arrives at a prestigious university and is put under pressure from different sources, not least because her dorm room is rumoured to be haunted by a prior occupant.

Clearly inspired by a notorious incident centred around an American institute, the story here revolves around three black women in different roles at the university, and the various ways in which they find themselves patronised and discriminated against. Sounds a bit dry, but it's relayed through the framework of a horror film, and it's pretty well done with a sterling cast (especially Regina Hall, who's come a long way since the Scary Movie films). I've seen it mentioned in the same breath as Jordan Peele's work and, while it's not on that level, it's well worth seeing if you like horror and a bit of social commentary.

Men (treasure, cap'n!) - Jessie Buckley retreats to the countryside to recover from trauma and finds herself increasingly disturbed by the locals.

The trailers for this might have given the idea that it's a woman-in-peril flick, but it's really more of an allegorical tale much like Alex Garland's prior film Annihilation; an analysis of toxic masculinity and male entitlement through the thriller and body horror genres, with a lot of representative imagery.

It does a pretty good job of highlighting why women can find men so generally frightening and disturbing. I thought it was pretty interesting, and it's another film where people can make up their own idea about what's going on. Buckley and Rory Kinnear are both excellent, and I really, really enjoyed it.

Stick it on for the MRA in your life for a laugh  :P

154 A Prayer Before Dawn (#72 in A24 series) -- Bleak as f**k biographical tale of Billy Moore, a young Englishman in Thailand who falls foul of the local laws and winds up in Bangkok's maximum security prison where, after a fashion, he learns Muay Thai as an escape. Brutal and depressing. 6/10

155 Good Night Oppy -- Oddly heart-warming documentary about the two Mars rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, whose missions were planned for an initial 90 days but lasted somewhat longer. Lovely film about human endeavor, exploration, passion, and I've been crying at robots in movies since Silent Running so no change there then. 8/10

156 Slice (#73 in the A24 series) -- Weak acting and a confusing pace guts any life out of a potentially interesting story about a pizza parlour built on the burial ground of an insane asylum that ended up created tens of thousands of ghosts that are pushed into a different area of town. Here be metaphors, I guess, but it's boiled down to a limp slasher flick that thinks it's way funnier than it actually is. 2/10

157 The Menu -- I enjoyed most of this comedy thriller. It opens like a whodunnit as 12 strangers gather to be taken to an island for the ultimate gourmet experience, but ends up far more interesting than that. Ralph Fiennes and Anya Taylor-Joy have their serious faces on while everyone else seems to be taking it more light-heartedly as events of the evening spiral out of control. Lovely wee touches like descriptions of the avant-garde courses appearing on screen. Needs a better dessert course, but still entertaining fun that packs a few shocks. 7/10

22 hours ago, BFTD said:

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (cinema) - after the death of King T'Challa, Wakanda encounters new threats both from other nations and beneath the sea, without the protection of the legendary Black Panther.

Aside from the obvious personal tragedy, the death of Chadwick Boseman must have thrown plans for this series into chaos, and the film's probably better than you'd have thought. However, it's surprisingly dull, with the middle third especially soporific. It definitely feels like it would've benefited from some trimming and, surprisingly, the expected scenes of mourning weren't the problem.

Part of the issue is that, for the first time, Marvel have produced something reminiscent of DC, rather than the other way round. I wasn't much of a fan of Aquaman either, and there's a whole bunch of undersea superhuman stuff in this too. The threat just feels very uninspired and I wasn't interested in the long stretches of deep water magic and exposition. I guess others have felt differently.

Also saw the trailer for Avatar 2 beforehand, the appeal of which seems to be based on lengthy shots of underwater scenes. Boy, does that look shite. I really don't get James Cameron's obsession with the sea.

Think marvel need to reign in the new characters they are introducing, or at least introduce ones they can patch after one film so we dont really give a f**k if their history is explained (ultron for example, one hit wonder, didnt care afterwards) 

Now we have essentially an underwater wakanda, another superhuman vibranium enhanced character, i know the mcu will somehow find a way to bring it all together at the end of phase 5 or 6, but f**k me its a lot to take in

I actually liked the film, the underwater bits were a bit long, but as a BP sequel without BP it did well enough, i liked the potential new iron man (2 potentials now in the mcu if they wish to use them) especially with the latest getting her own disney+ series

But given we had Thanos, who was fucking outstanding, and they built him up from pretty much the start almost, you have to wonder how much we're gonna get of Kang (if it indeed is him) as the big bad, and how they'll shown him as stronger/badder than Thanos (surely has to be) and how a team with everyone seen so far in phase 4 can come together to stop him

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (cinema) - after the death of King T'Challa, Wakanda encounters new threats both from other nations and beneath the sea, without the protection of the legendary Black Panther.
Aside from the obvious personal tragedy, the death of Chadwick Boseman must have thrown plans for this series into chaos, and the film's probably better than you'd have thought. However, it's surprisingly dull, with the middle third especially soporific. It definitely feels like it would've benefited from some trimming and, surprisingly, the expected scenes of mourning weren't the problem.
Part of the issue is that, for the first time, Marvel have produced something reminiscent of DC, rather than the other way round. I wasn't much of a fan of Aquaman either, and there's a whole bunch of undersea superhuman stuff in this too. The threat just feels very uninspired and I wasn't interested in the long stretches of deep water magic and exposition. I guess others have felt differently.
Also saw the trailer for Avatar 2 beforehand, the appeal of which seems to be based on lengthy shots of underwater scenes. Boy, does that look shite. I really don't get James Cameron's obsession with the sea.
Avatar 2 looks as dull as dishwater but it's James Cameron and the man just keeps producing hits, either critically or at the box office.

Black Adam.

Whoever made the trailer for this film needs a new career. Saw the trailer a few times and it really put me off the film. Avoided it for weeks. 

One of my son's mates had told him it was quite good, so we decided to go. 

Far, far better than I expected. A very decent DC movie. Fairly good story, good characters, wee bit of humour. Sarah Shahi. 

6/10. The trailer is 2/10.

158 Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio -- Gorgeous animation and while I can understand why people will love this, while it's cleverly done, and while you can see del Toro's fingerprints all over it, I took against this very early on and it never recovered. The papa, the wee boy, the puppet, Ewan fucking McGregor, the songs, Pinocchio's stupid punchable face...all of it just wound me up. It's a no from me. 4/10, all of them for the animation.

159 Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery -- Not so much a sequel than the next mystery for Benoit Blanc. Ed Norton is a tech billionaire who invites a close group of friends to his private Greek island for a celebration and a murder weekend. In amongst the group is Janelle Monáe who plays the disgruntled ex-business partner, and Blanc who despite not being invited has wound up with an invitation. I'll say nothing more other than I thought it was great fun, very funny, and an entertaining couple of hours, although in the final act where the cleverly constructed layers are peeled back, it was a bit disappointing to see what was in the middle. 7/10

On 20/11/2022 at 18:49, MSU said:

157 The Menu -- I enjoyed most of this comedy thriller. It opens like a whodunnit as 12 strangers gather to be taken to an island for the ultimate gourmet experience, but ends up far more interesting than that. Ralph Fiennes and Anya Taylor-Joy have their serious faces on while everyone else seems to be taking it more light-heartedly as events of the evening spiral out of control. Lovely wee touches like descriptions of the avant-garde courses appearing on screen. Needs a better dessert course, but still entertaining fun that packs a few shocks. 7/10

Just saw this earlier - found the film awkwardly caught between not being funny enough to be a comedy and not scary/edgy/etc enough to be a thriller/horror. Wasn't bad as such once the slowish start is over, but Ray Fiennes' OTT performance was probably the only thing that stopped me mentally checking out on it.

5/10, 2 of which are down to him. Fully expect this to end up on a semi-regular loop on the 9pm Horror Channel slot in a year or two.

Edited by Scorge

The Sight and Sound top 100 is pretty uncontroversial. You can see that most of the voters have tried to do a diverse list but it's still pretty good. I don't see the contemporary films sticking around. No one is going to be saying Get Out or Parasite is a top 100 film in a few years time. 

Black Adam

Marvel should sue.

It was actually ok. The trailer made it looks horrendous. The trailer however was almost fully comprised of footage from a 10 minute period of the film, which is about 15 minutes in. 

Thought that the Justice Society, or Hawkman to be more precise, were a load of c***s. The maw called them all out and they had no response. Why didn't they even try to talk to Black Adam before just arrogantly flying over and attacking him? 

Also, who the f**k are the Justice Society? This felt like Justice League where DC rushed a load of characters on screen without any backstory. This lack of backstory meant a total lack of investment, so when DC Dr Strange died I didn't give a f**k.

There were too many mid air smashy smashy fights and too much of folk getting chucked through buildings. Hate that in comic book films.

Why is Waller being a c**t to BA as well? He's shown to be a protector of his folk. Is her cuntiness an admission that she and the US are also wanting to steal the BA's country's resources and impose a regime on folk (or that they were behind it in the first place)? Why is Superman now her bitch as well?

That aside, some amusing stuff at times and was pretty watchable.

Edited by DA Baracus

On 27/11/2022 at 03:03, Geddy_Lee said:

Smile - decent enough cursed horror flick that passed a couple of hours whilst working nightshift (7/10).

I thought about giving this a go... is it worth a couple of hours?

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

Starts off as you may expect. Does not really develop as you would expect.

Really enjoyed this. Very amusing throughout. Radcliffe is absolutely tremendous as Weird Al.

Once he becomes Weird Al the film becomes fictionalised and follows a completely made up storyline. This is not to the detriment of the film though, as it's really funny (in my view).

We all get the big joke that the film is a parody of Weird Al's life (the joke being he parodied other folks' songs) but the film makes clear that we're all in on it and revels in it.

Would recommend.