What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

15 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

John Wick.

4/10

Never seen this before despite hearing lots of great things. Pretty fucking generic bang bang shooty stab.

Generic?! 

I fear that long promised bursting is bubbling closer to the surface!

The story's very generic; it just depends on how much you're into high-energy action sequences. IIRC, they were pretty inventive.

Personally, I'm a sucker for a revenge story so I enjoyed it at the time, but I couldn't tell you a single thing about it now, and I've never felt the need to see the sequels.

Cinema Paradiso

Subtitled Italian flick about a mischievous Sicilian youngster who forges a friendship with the local cinema protectionist 

This is one of the greatest films ever made. It could bring a tear to a glass eye. I've watched it about a dozen times and it never fails to leave me a sobbing mess at the end.

10/10

9 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

Cinema Paradiso

Subtitled Italian flick about a mischievous Sicilian youngster who forges a friendship with the local cinema protectionist 

This is one of the greatest films ever made. It could bring a tear to a glass eye. I've watched it about a dozen times and it never fails to leave me a sobbing mess at the end.

10/10

Couldn't agree more, it is sublime. Also a rare example of the original version being better than the Director's Cut.

On 04/10/2022 at 07:16, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Working through Hellraiser 1-10. Some straight to video horrors right enough.

Movie trivia. Films 7 and 8 were released only 3 months apart.

The 11th movie is out tomorrow.

I remember watching Hellraiser when it was first released and have no intention of watching 2 through to 11...

New Hellraiser.

Massive fan of the original but this left me completely underwhelmed and disappointed. Didn't like the design of the cenobites, didn't like new Pinhead. The story was more complex than it needed to be, and everything looked a bit too polished and modern.

Hellraiser (entirely legal download) - a young lassie finds herself in a world of pain after discovering an intricate puzzle box.

Yeah, it's a bit mediocre, and probably less interesting than all of the first four originals (which are the only ones I've seen). It's a very generic plot for these films, even if it doesn't make much sense after a few minutes' thought, and they've clearly tried to rope in elements from some of the old films, but to no great effect. Lady Pinhead was maybe a better idea than a straight recast of the original, but she's just flat and uninteresting, and the script doesn't give her anything to work with at all - Doug Bradley would always have a couple of cracking lines to do an excellent job of delivering. The script also has her reference one of Pinhead's classic lines, and inviting that comparison was just a very, very bad idea.

Not sure if Hulu owns the rights to make sequels, or if they just bought the streaming rights, but I can't imagine it getting any follow-ups if it's the latter.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Had never actually seen it all the way through, and turned out I'd only ever seen about 20% despite thinking I'd seen most of it in composite parts.

I developed an assumption that it was just a poor man's Bond having spent a childhood watching Connery/ Moore films 'taped' off the TV.  How wrong I was.  The cinematography of scenes like the silhouettes skiing in line down the mountain to a great score (best Bond theme btw) are superb.

A solid 7/10

38 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I concur. The new Hellraiser is terrible. The trailer looked good so I high hopes but it’s a 5/10 at best. 

Having a good script is less important than making it look nice nowadays.

I hope the new Halloween move is much better. 

Must say, I lost interest in the Halloween series after Halloween 3 (which I do have a soft spot for), as I wasn't interested in even more Michael Myers films. Came back for Halloween H20, but they lost me again when they decided somehow to have yet another resurrection.

I was forced into seeing the last semi-reboot where Jamie Lee Curtis came back again, as my son wanted to see it, but thought it was utterly tepid. They ran out of ideas with that series so long ago, and I can't believe people are still going along to see them. Just goes to show that, if there hadn't been the whole rights schism regarding Friday the 13th and the Jason character, by now they could be on Friday the 13th Part XXV: Jason Takes the Nursing Home.