What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

131 Twilight (#3 in the Anna Kendrick series) -- Ooft, the former Mrs MSU dragged me to these movies. I was never a fan but I remembered that this one was better than what followed. But it's genuinely awful. The script, the acting, the CGI, the themes, the baseball; they're all just the worst. Still can't believe that Kermode lapped this shite up or the juggernaught of money behind this series produced films of such shocking quality. Must've been a money laundering scheme. Anna Kendrick is in it for about five minutes as someone who pretends to like Bella but actually hates her. 1/10

132 Hereditary (#67 in the A24 series) -- Ari Aster's debut does lose some of its visceral impact from a first viewing but it remains a very uneasy, ominous watch, helped by its score, that veers in and out of batshit crazy. Toni Collette has never been better, Milly Shapiro is an off-kilter revelation, and the set design is practically a character in itself. A reminder of what horror can be. Clucks tongue. 9/10

133 Cimarron (#4 in the Best Picture Oscar series) -- A western from the 1930s is never going to age perfectly well, but I quite enjoyed the history of the piece. As westward expansion was still in living memory when it was made, I can only imagine that the hundreds of settlers lined up on the border of the Oklahoma Territory, waiting for high noon before they could race into it and claim their plot is pretty accurate. Otherwise, it's an epic tale of an itchy-footed Witchita lawyer, Yancey Cravat, and the role he plays in setting up a newspaper in a new town and all the outlaws he has to deal with. It's an ambitious piece, and the only Western to win Best Picture until Dances With Wolves. 4/10

134 Woman Walks Ahead (#68 in the A24 series) -- More Western stuff and expansion themes, this time with Jessica Chastain and Sam Rockwell, but the movie is only interesting thanks to Michael Greyeyes as Sitting Bull. Chastain is a widowed artist heading out to Standing Rock to paint the Lakota Sioux chief, while Rockwell is the army dude who sees her as an agitator and tries to stop her. It's stylishly made, often brutal, but the characters are a bit flat and the narrative points a bit too obviously signposted. 6/10

135 God's Country -- ANOTHER Western. Kinda. A modern Western, if you will. Thandiwe Newton is awesome as a professor who has moved West with her mother from New Orleans to a remote house on the edge of hunting country in Montana. A truck appears on her property owned by brothers Nathan and Samuel Cody (Jefferson White and Joris Jarsky), and they want to use her land to access the hunting. Sandra politely but firmly declines the request and so begins a battle of wits and escalation as neither side backs down, even when Sandra involves the ineffectual sheriff (Jeremy Bobb) who would much rather that folks sort out their disagreements without having to get involved. It's a quiet movie that simmers away nicely but it tries to cram a bit too much in along with the main story so it loses its focus from a movie that is essentially just about a woman who wants to be left alone but no one will let her. 6/10

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

I know why this exists. I don't know why people like it. I don't know why there's so much other Star Wars stuff.

If that one didn't tickle your fancy, I'd give the sequels a miss. It's all downhill from there.

This week I have been watching mostly shite.

The Man From Uncle (2015)

I loved this series as a kid (it was re-run, I’m not that old) and I usually enjoy turning off my brain for guy ritchie’s easy to follow entertainments. 

I suppose the set up and plot was ok and some set pieces were entertaining enough but it just didn’t work. I put most of the blame on Henry Cavil for giving one of the most irritating performances this side of James Corden. I didn’t think wooden and OTT could be done together, but he did it. 
Looked good though (I meant the film, but Cavil too I suppose).

5/10

Odd Thomas (2013)

Offbeat teen horror about a young guy who can see the dead and some demon type things. 

Something bad will happen. Can he stop it ? Didn’t care really. 

I was quite intrigued by some of the premise and there were some interesting bits, but the main character’s arc didn’t grab me. Also a shit lead performance (dead guy out of Star Trek reboot) or shit script gave the main character zero actual character. 

The demon thingies had untapped potential.

5/10

Catch Me If You Can (2002)

Teenage forger and con man in cat and mouse with diligent Fed. 

It’s Hanks and diCaprio with a side of Walken and Amy Adams directed by Spielberg so can’t go far wrong.

I don’t think I’d seen this properly before. 

It looks fantastic as a stylised period piece, from the classy opening credits right through. It looks great too. It’s very funny and everything is done really well. 

The unreliable narrator device is used well and sparingly. I don’t think it’s central to the plot but it allows lots of improbable things to happen. Maybe some are just a bit too improbable.

Just very, very good.

8/10

Tenet (2020)

I’ve liked most of Chris Nolan’s time bending films so was pretty disappointed by this. 

I haven’t given the premise too much analysis but it felt like it didn’t really make sense in principle and was inconsistently applied in the film. It also wasn’t very interesting.

Pretty much guessed the revelation at the end about ten minutes in. 

The action scenes weren’t well done and the whole thing looked sludgy. 

4/10

Men in Black International (2019)

Basically forgotten what happened in this made for tv looking half hearted reboot.

No cool aliens

3/10

The Husband With Two Wives (2019)

Decided to watch one of those films that's on Channel 5 in the afternoon. In a close fight throughout, "writing" was officially the worst part of it over "acting" and "cinematography."

Non-Stop (2014)

Taken on a plane. Liam Neeson is a drunk radge completely detached from reality, but Julianne Moore gets to look at him over the top of her comically large glasses and one of the stewardesses looks like Wesley Snipes, so who can say if it's bad or not?

Working through Hellraiser 1-10. Some straight to video horrors right enough.
Movie trivia. Films 7 and 8 were released only 3 months apart.
The 11th movie is out tomorrow.
Friday it's out I'm sure.

1and 2 are great. 3 is okay. Bloodline and Inferno are decent. The rest are shit.

Finally watched Parasite as I saw it was being taken off Prime Video. Not really what I was expecting but still liked it a lot.

As much as I liked it though still kinda surprised it won so many awards. Doesn't seem like the usual 'worthy' Oscar bait fodder that normally takes in the awards.

On 04/10/2022 at 07:16, Theroadlesstravelled said:

My son really liked the original, so we gave this a go a while back. We got as far as #4 and, knowing that they apparently get much worse, tapped out without even discussing it.

I might be wrong, but it looks like they've removed the twisted lust story from the reboot, which I think was part of the problem with the sequels. Originally, the Cenobites were just window dressing; making them the centre of the film lost the meat of the story. I don't think it's a tale that leant itself to worthwhile follow-ups, TBH.

On 04/10/2022 at 07:16, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Terry Farrell was in Hellraiser 3.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-TsO11D4bNJcaoEieCbf

Always happy to post the odd pic of her. She was my main crush celebrity during my teenage years. Still is. 

On 01/10/2022 at 18:05, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Kill Bill vol 1. Blood splattering out of people like a fountain constantly is stupid and too much feet obv.

Kill Bill vol 2. Much less blood fountains, slightly less (but still too much) feet. The bit where she is buried alive is fantastic, genuinely terrifying. However, her then magically punching her way upwards through all the dirt was ridiculous.