What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Avatar is coming back out in the cinema.

Peter Bradshaw in the Guardian reviewing it today.

This film came out in 2009, on a political cusp: it couldn’t quite make its mind up about whether it was a gung-ho shock’n’awe action movie or not: a Dubya film that had entered the more caring world of Obama. 

The fact that it's the Pocahontas story but John Smith helps the indigenous people fight back and kill all the colonialists couldn't be more explicit but working for the Guardian obviously requires some sort of lobotomy of any political acumen.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

The Pirate Bay. According to a mate. Who also says that he knows there are better sites for downloading films, but he doesn't know them, so perhaps other P&Bers can help.

Also it's illegal, so don't do it. Hiya mods, hiya pals!

It's pretty rare that I can't get whatever I want off PB. 

@BigDoddyKane

You can buy/rent a huge selection of films on Amazon and Youtube usually for a 3 or 4 quid a pop. I subscribe to BFI which is a fiver a month and has a big selection of arty movies and MUBI which is £9.99 and a bit more modern.

I still don't get how Avatar is one of the highest-grossing films of all time.

I'm going to be even more stupefied when Avatar 2 comes out and is an even bigger success. We've no excuse this time; apparently everyone saw the first one, thought it was the very definition of 'meh', and immediately stopped giving a shit about it.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

It's pretty rare that I can't get whatever I want off PB.

I've had a few lately that I had to find on other sites. I remember a lot of the big film uploaders deserting them years ago for reasons that escape me now.

Of course, not everyone is looking for the kind of horrifying stuff that I'm after.

Spoiler

It was Limmy's Homemade Show today.

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm going to be even more stupefied when Avatar 2 comes out and is an even bigger success. We've no excuse this time; apparently everyone saw the first one, thought it was the very definition of 'meh', and immediately stopped giving a shit about it.

I've had a few lately that I had to find on other sites. I remember a lot of the big film uploaders deserting them years ago for reasons that escape me now.

Of course, not everyone is looking for the kind of horrifying stuff that I'm after.

Hide contents

All three episodes of this are on youtube

48 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think the fact that's it politics are outside the MSM Overton window is partly why it was memory holed.

The best example of that is the John Carpenter film They Live which basically says "Kill The Rich!" and never seems to be on TV or streaming. Scorsese's After Hours is another one which is pretty hard to find due to its content. 

Right now I'm watching a 1970 BBC Sartre adaptation called Roads To Freedom that wasn't broadcast or released for video/DVD for the suspiciously round number of 50 years which makes me think the Heath government slapped some sort of legal restriction on it. It's got straight sex, gay sex, abortion, drug taking, nudity, rape, self harm, communists and it completely skewers Neville Chamberlain. It's well worth a watch, it's off iPlayer now but its all on YouTube. 

Edited by Detournement

All i can remember from Dances With Smurfs is that the rare, precious metal (or element, idk) was called fucking unobtanium. Sigourney Weaver was in it too, i think.

Also thinking about it, the space marine aesthetic is timeless, to give it some credit. Colonel Quidditch was the most memorable thing from the whole film, i genuinely cant remeber any of the set pieces. 

Edit; fine i knew it was Quaritch i just wanted to do a Mark Kermode

They Live is class tbf

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I think Avatar was just really dull TBH. I can't even remember much about it.

They Live and After Hours weren't particularly successful, although the former's always getting re-released on different formats, and it's appreciated much more now. Could be wrong, as I wasn't even a teenager when it came out, but I get the impression that people didn't really get it in the late Eighties. I certainly don't think I did at the time, although I still thought it was great. I remember liking After Hours a lot too, although I only saw it once on the TV years ago.

Throw in some cannibalism and incest, and Roads to Freedom sounds like it would be just my cup of tea.

On 21/09/2022 at 18:39, Detournement said:

I think the fact that's it politics are outside the MSM Overton window is partly why it was memory holed.

The best example of that is the John Carpenter film They Live which basically says "Kill The Rich!" and never seems to be on TV or streaming. Scorsese's After Hours is another one which is pretty hard to find due to its content. 

They Live is fecking amazing.

After Hours is available for rent on Google TV. I watched it a few months ago.

23 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

They Live is fecking amazing.

After Hours is available for rent on Google TV. I watched it a few months ago.

Pretty much everything is available for rent.

I've got some very strong opinions about After Hours. To me it's a film which is overtly about the CIA MK Ultra project, there is also a weird similarity between it and Eyes Wide Shut.

Anyway just watched Full Metal Jacket for the first time in a long time

Watching it now it seems obvious that Animal Mother and Pyle are the same character and that the first hooker you see shaking her ass to Nancy Sinatra when the movie moves to Vietnam is a Ladyboy.

Edited by Detournement

9 hours ago, Detournement said:

Anyway just watched Full Metal Jacket for the first time in a long time

Watching it now it seems obvious that Animal Mother and Pyle are the same character and that the first hooker you see shaking her ass to Nancy Sinatra when the movie moves to Vietnam is a Ladyboy.

"The Making of Full Metal Jacket" was also interesting.  R Lee Ermey was not the original choice for the role he made famous.  He was a real Drill Sergeant and when he was used to audition the other parts he could ad lib better stuff than any scriptwriter could think up.

The original actor for the part got to be the helicopter gunner instead.

Also "Vietnam" is actually the East End of London with some palm trees.

The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue (DVD) - farm machinery starts to bring the dead back to life in rural Lancashire, with super strength and the standard zombie desire for tasty human innards.

Despite having quite a dull and generic script, with few memorable set pieces, this is a pretty worthy entry in the Italian zombie genre. The score and ambient sound do a great job of setting a spooky atmosphere and, despite being filmed in the UK, the actors are mainly dubbed Italians, with lashings of comedy British accents scattered about at random. There are some unusual elements too, like the aforementioned necromancing combine harvesters, and police investigators who completely refuse to believe that zombies exist, despite the old corpses with cranial wounds lying around, and the recently-living (and munched on) bodies lying next to them.

Also, it has a tremendous title that sounds more like a classic live album.

On 21/09/2022 at 17:54, BFTD said:

Hide contents

Ive never seen avatar

On 21/09/2022 at 18:39, Detournement said:

Right now I'm watching a 1970 BBC Sartre adaptation called Roads To Freedom that wasn't broadcast or released for video/DVD for the suspiciously round number of 50 years which makes me think the Heath government slapped some sort of legal restriction on it. It's got straight sex, gay sex, abortion, drug taking, nudity, rape, self harm, communists and it completely skewers Neville Chamberlain. It's well worth a watch, it's off iPlayer now but its all on YouTube. 

They Live has been on Netflix or Prime for ages. I've watched it twice in the last year. 

Leap Year (2010)

I watched this based on Kermode's review

It's infinitely worse than I could have imagined. I don't understand how something like this can exist. I don't know why Amy Adams read the script and thought yes, I should be in this film. Nothing about it makes any sense.