What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Just watched the original Mad Max trilogy over the past 3 nights.

All I can think of is "must have been good for their time".  Should have stopped after the first tbh, although the 2nd was my 'favourite'.

Elvis was phenomenal really lived up to the hype. Butler is outstanding as Elvis and Tom Hanks is great at being the sneaky b*****d colonel.

Obviously with these biopics you need to take parts of it with a pinch of salt but I’d recommend people go see this film - 9/10.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

22 hours ago, MSU said:

077 -- Beavis and Butt-Head Do the Universe. I remember watching Beavis and Butt-Head Do America at the ABC in Falkirk while everyone else in town was watching Kilmarnock win the Scottish Cup. So that'll be 24 May 1997, then. I loved ...Do America. I laughed so hard during the nuns in the bus scene that I farted. I worried that ...Do the Universe wouldn't live up to that but while I don't think I farted at any point, I thought it was just as good. It has a really weird charm to it, it's heart-felt, and it is somehow really funny that the story always seems to manage to progress while Beavis and Butt-Head aren't paying attention and are busy telling the same half-dozen jokes for an hour and a half. Maybe a bit baggy in the middle, but I laughed out loud throughout. 8/10

This sounds great. the original still makes me laugh just thinking about it 

Top Gun: Maverick.   Loved it. Echo everything that's been getting said. Very glad I caught it in the cinema. 8.5/10

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.   Meh. I generally quite like the Marvel films, but I struggled with this. Don't mind Dr Strange as a character in the other films, but I haven't been able to take to those which are centred purely around his story. Bonus point for Jim Halpert showing up. 5/10

The Black Phone.   Been looking forward to this for a while and really enjoyed it. Great performances from Ethan Hawke and the two main young actors. 7.5/10

On 24/06/2022 at 06:37, Theroadlesstravelled said:

She is gorgeous. She gets them out in French Dispatch btw.

I thought Princess Irulan is a bigger part than Lady Margot. I wonder who will play Irulan.

Florence Pugh.

Irulan isn't really in Dune. It's just that excerpts from her books set after Dune are used to pre-face each chapter in Dune. She only really shows up right at the end.

She's a much bigger role in Dune Messiah - which would make the perfect third part to the movie story, and a good place to leave it off.

I need my bed, but a film called Twilight that I downloaded has just started playing from the USB stick that I had a load of Law & Order episodes on.

In the first twenty minutes, we've had Reese Witherspoon and Susan Sarandon's tits, plus Paul Newman, a young Liev Schreiber, Gene Hackman, James Garner, and a few other actors I recognised. Not much sign of a plot yet, but it's definitely got my interest.

Men (2022)

The only thing I can add to the other reviews on here (the luscious colours, Rory Kinnear's acting and the crazy last 20-odd minutes) is the dandelion imagery.

Dandelions use apomixis to reproduce requiring no other pollination or cross-fertilisation. Each little "fairy" that blows from a dandelion clock is a clone of its parent.

This is used as a metaphor for the naked man and the multiple births which then occur (the boy, the vicar etc) however, does it explain the reasoning for the last birth being of her dead husband? No.

High Plains Drifter (1973).

Clint Eastwood stars and directs, presumably living out his fantasy as he shoots and rapes his way through the Old West with impunity. Alarmingly, when one of his young lady victims tries to take revenge she is restrained by the sheriff and advised "next time a man wants his way with you, you let him have it".

Who'd have thunk ol' Clint was OFTW? 

Elvis was phenomenal really lived up to the hype. Butler is outstanding as Elvis and Tom Hanks is great at being the sneaky b*****d colonel.
Obviously with these biopics you need to take parts of it with a pinch of salt but I’d recommend people go see this film - 9/10.

I really enjoyed it 10/10 - and thankfully didn't listen to that bitter twisted w**k that is Robert Daniels.

Went into Elvis with low expectations and was amazed how much I liked it. Austin Butler was phenomenal, far better a performance than Remi Malek's depiction of Freddie Mercury. Some of the more dramatic scenes were a bit Channel 5 on a Sunday afternoon and it took a bit of getting used to Tom Hanks who was like a cartoon character at first but got better as film went on. As good a film I've scene at the cinema for a while 

Minions- The rise of Gru

Perfectly acceptable cash-cow miliking. 

The Minions are less funny and the baddies are less entertaining than earlier efforts. There were some laugh out loud funny bits and it didn't get boring. 

Odeon needs to sort it's shit out. They forgot to dim the lights for the fourth time out of the last six we've been.

The public need to sort their shit out. I had to turf folk out of our seats, the wife asked the guy behind her to stop yapping about 20 minutes in and had to ask kids in front of her to sit down. Plus teenagers seem to be clapping at films like Americans now. We need National service back.

5.5/10

Went into Elvis with low expectations and was amazed how much I liked it. Austin Butler was phenomenal, far better a performance than Remi Malek's depiction of Freddie Mercury. Some of the more dramatic scenes were a bit Channel 5 on a Sunday afternoon and it took a bit of getting used to Tom Hanks who was like a cartoon character at first but got better as film went on. As good a film I've scene at the cinema for a while 
Butler's performance is just incredible - particularly recreating the final scene that is so haunting and lingers long after the credits - you couldn't tell if it was him or actual footage of Elvis it was that convincing.

Minions- The rise of Gru
The Minions are less funny and the baddies are less entertaining than earlier efforts. There were some laugh out loud funny bits and it didn't get boring. 
Odeon needs to sort it's shit out. They forgot to dim the lights for the fourth time out of the last six we've been.
The public need to sort their shit out. I had to turf folk out of our seats, the wife asked the guy behind her to stop yapping about 20 minutes in and had to ask kids in front of her to sit down. Plus teenagers seem to be clapping at films like Americans now. We need National service back.
5.5/10

Grandson(5) went to cinema for first time yesterday to see this and absolutely loved it[emoji3]

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

Minions- The rise of Gru

5.5/10

Kids movies are the worse for bad behaviour. Some adults just let their kids run wild as long as they aren’t annoying them. Went to light year recently and someone was just letting their kid run and then crawl on their hands and knees through rows of seats (how fucking manky).

I remember when I was wee I got taken to see a Batman film maybe the one with George Clooney and I was acting up by running up and down the aisle. I then got dragged out the cinema and taken home by my mum minutes into the film. Don’t think I ever misbehaved in the cinema again after that, although if I was old enough to appreciate how bad a film that was I’d probably have thanked my mum for taking me out of there.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

59 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Grandson(5) went to cinema for first time yesterday to see this and absolutely loved itemoji3.png

Prepare yourself for when he gets older. My son loved the Minions when the films first started coming out, but he's a teenager now and they're just a mindless capitalist cash-grab for idiots, maaaaaan.

Bit shit, as I'd quite like to go see it, but I don't fancy being glared at by mothers for turning up on my own to a film for young children. Especially as I know to keep my pants on now.

Prepare yourself for when he gets older. My son loved the Minions when the films first started coming out, but he's a teenager now and they're just a mindless capitalist cash-grab for idiots, maaaaaan.
Bit shit, as I'd quite like to go see it, but I don't fancy being glared at by mothers for turning up on my own to a film for young children. Especially as I know to keep my pants on now.
I wasn't there thankfully but it sounds like it was relatively quiet with everyone well behaved. You'll just need to wait until it appears online [emoji1]