What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Hustle on Netflix. 

Fair enjoyed it, I like a sports drama/feel good film in a Sunday afternoon. You know what's coming and it's been done before, a bit Jerry Maguire the relationship between a pretty good Sandler and the bball player, an actual NBA star in Juan Hernangomez. 

A solid 7/10

Collateral Beauty

Bloody hell this had me in tears at various points throughout. It's superb and the cast are fantastic. Will Smith is a partner in an advertising agency with Ed Norton, but fast forward three months and Smith is a griefstricken father whose only child (a daughter) died aged 6. Also at the agency are Kate Winslet as a devoted employee whom we later learn has put her personal ambitions on hold for her professional ones, and Michael Pena who we later learn has had his cancer return, this time to deliver the coup de grace. Norton wants to sell the company, but Smith won't sell his shares. Out of ideas Norton hatches a plan to help his friend come out of his grief, while also trying to save the company.

Smith has been sending letters to Death, Love and Time, blaming them for the pain he feels now. A PI hired by Norton tells him this and fishes the letters out of the mailbox. Through casting for an ad Norton is taken by Keira Knightley's smarts and charisma and follows her to a theatre for a play she's in. Norton hires her and the two other actors to play Death, Love and Time. They arrange encounters with Smith and respond to the accusations in his letters. Helen Mirren plays Death, Knightley plays Love and Jacob Latimore plays Time. It's not a plan without dubiety as it involves an element of betraying his friend, but it is an understandable one.

It's well done and there's also a lovely side story where Smith hangs around outside a support group run by Naomie Harris for parents who lost children. There is a payoff to this storyline that honestly had me folded over crying. 

I would say this was a beautiful movie, and the relationships are hopeful and positive. I've been utterly fed up by the sheer amount of cynical and nihilistic relationships in movies/comedies that this was such a balm for the soul. The people in it are good, and there's a good hearted innocence to the whole thing.

I sometimes need a good cry, but can't just do it. I often need a movie to make the first crack in the dam. I loved this and would recommend it. You'll be a pile of wet washing after it, but it's worth it.

8/10. 

Edited by velo army

Black Hat (2015)

I've loved Michael Mann since I was a child but this was shite. There's a scene near the end in Jakarta where Chris Hemsworth stabs a baddie in the eye in the middle of a huge religious festival and no one reacts at all that is the dumbest thing I've seen in a while. 

Despite this crap I'm still going to preorder the Heat 2 novel because Michael Mann has money in the bank. 

20 hours ago, velo army said:

Collateral Beauty

Bloody hell this had me in tears at various points throughout. It's superb and the cast are fantastic. Will Smith is a partner in an advertising agency with Ed Norton, but fast forward three months and Smith is a griefstricken father whose only child (a daughter) died aged 6. Also at the agency are Kate Winslet as a devoted employee whom we later learn has put her personal ambitions on hold for her professional ones, and Michael Pena who we later learn has had his cancer return, this time to deliver the coup de grace. Norton wants to sell the company, but Smith won't sell his shares. Out of ideas Norton hatches a plan to help his friend come out of his grief, while also trying to save the company.

Smith has been sending letters to Death, Love and Time, blaming them for the pain he feels now. A PI hired by Norton tells him this and fishes the letters out of the mailbox. Through casting for an ad Norton is taken by Keira Knightley's smarts and charisma and follows her to a theatre for a play she's in. Norton hires her and the two other actors to play Death, Love and Time. They arrange encounters with Smith and respond to the accusations in his letters. Helen Mirren plays Death, Knightley plays Love and Jacob Latimore plays Time. It's not a plan without dubiety as it involves an element of betraying his friend, but it is an understandable one.

It's well done and there's also a lovely side story where Smith hangs around outside a support group run by Naomie Harris for parents who lost children. There is a payoff to this storyline that honestly had me folded over crying. 

I would say this was a beautiful movie, and the relationships are hopeful and positive. I've been utterly fed up by the sheer amount of cynical and nihilistic relationships in movies/comedies that this was such a balm for the soul. The people in it are good, and there's a good hearted innocence to the whole thing.

I sometimes need a good cry, but can't just do it. I often need a movie to make the first crack in the dam. I loved this and would recommend it. You'll be a pile of wet washing after it, but it's worth it.

8/10. 

Funny, I just watched this the other day

I might need to actually see it now to see where it actually lands.

And on the subject of other people at the pictures - two weeks ago I went to see The Bob's Burgers Movie (8/10 if you've seen the show higher if you haven't) at 1PM on a Thursday and I was the only person there. Until the trailers started and two girls came in and sat a few rows down from me. I don't think I've ever been as outraged in my life.

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

And on the subject of other people at the pictures - two weeks ago I went to see The Bob's Burgers Movie (8/10 if you've seen the show higher if you haven't) at 1PM on a Thursday and I was the only person there. Until the trailers started and two girls came in and sat a few rows down from me. I don't think I've ever been as outraged in my life.

I went to see "Detroit" at 10am on a Saturday when it came out a few years ago.

I was the only one there until some bloke came in just as the film was starting. Despite the place being empty, he sat directly next to me and then he spent the entire film giggling like a psycho at all the violence on screen.

It was a long couple of hours...

13 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Funny, I just watched this the other day

I might need to actually see it now to see where it actually lands.

Och I'm glad I didn't watch the review. There were flaws to it and it probably wasn't an 8/10, but I was just letting myself be taken away and be affected by it, which I was.

24 minutes ago, velo army said:

Och I'm glad I didn't watch the review. There were flaws to it and it probably wasn't an 8/10, but I was just letting myself be taken away and be affected by it, which I was.

2012 made me emotional when I saw it. Anything is possible.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I went to see this at 6pm on a Saturday a couple weeks ago and got the full screen to myself. Glorious. 

11 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

I went to see this at 6pm on a Saturday a couple weeks ago and got the full screen to myself. Glorious. 

I should go and see it a bunch of times so I can learn all the words to the songs and sing along. Audience or no audience.

19 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

I went to see "Detroit" at 10am on a Saturday when it came out a few years ago.

I was the only one there until some bloke came in just as the film was starting. Despite the place being empty, he sat directly next to me and then he spent the entire film giggling like a psycho at all the violence on screen.

It was a long couple of hours...

Why didn't you move?

Oldboy (2003)

A Korean sadistic revenge story. It's not on the level of Funny Games in terms of torturing the viewer but it's not a million miles away. Well worth watching and it keeps the momentum going right until the very end.

Antoine and Colette (1962)

A short sequel to The 400 Blows. Antoine is a few years older and is behaving himself now with a job and a membership for a musical youth group. He tries to get a bird who is out of his league and gets brutally friendzoned. Jean Pierre Leaud has the most French face possible.

Shiva Baby (2020)

A young student goes to a Jewish funeral wake with her mental parents and has a breakdown due to the triple threat presence of her ex, her sugar daddy and an endless stream of boomers asking her what she is going to do when her course finishes. All underachievers will appreciate this. A really good wee film and casting Sussie from Curb and Sy  Abelman from A Serious Man as the idiot parents was a master stroke.

19 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Why didn't you move?

What if the guy had followed him?

Making an uncomfortable situation even worse!

3 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

She is gorgeous. She gets them out in French Dispatch btw.

I thought Princess Irulan is a bigger part than Lady Margot. I wonder who will play Irulan.

This reads like you haven't seen "Blue is the Warmest Colour".

My word.

5 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

She is gorgeous. She gets them out in French Dispatch btw.

I thought Princess Irulan is a bigger part than Lady Margot. I wonder who will play Irulan.

You don't need to tell me mate, I saw French Dispatch (and her bush) on the big screen in the GFT.

Lea on the IMAX will be an event. 

074 -- Equals (#37 in the A24 series) How perfect is it that director Drake Doremus seemingly insisted on Nicholas Hoult and Kristen Stewart to be his leads of Silas and Nia in this movie, set in a dystopian utopian future where emotions are a thing of the past? Few couples are better equipped to portray this. And how predictable is it that once Silas and Nia find that they have romantic feelings for each other that it should fall apart so dramatically? Nice to look at but overall a bit too pompous for its own good. 4/10

075 -- Into the Forest (#38 in the A24 series) It's a perfectly serviceable kinda pre-apocalyptic movie that focusses on the micro as opposed to the macro and is all the better for it. Elliot Page and Evan Rachel Wood play Nella and Eva, two sisters in a somewhat future setting who have to cope together when the power goes out and doesn't come back on again. There are a few moments, particularly on the visits into town for supplies, that bare a resemblance to the days at the start of the pandemic which make the movie all the more possible, but overall there are too many sections that lack any narrative drive and the interest wanes, but the two leads are always watchable and believable. 6/10

076 -- Morris from America (#39 in the A24 series) American tween, Morris, moves to Germany thanks to his dad's work, struggles to fit in, finds friendship in an older girl, Katrin, who helps him find the confidence to develop his love for rapping. Craig Robinson is brilliant as the kid's dad but there's something about the relationship between Morris and Katrin that just doesn't work, which is a shame because the movie relies on it. 5/10

077 -- Beavis and Butt-Head Do the Universe. I remember watching Beavis and Butt-Head Do America at the ABC in Falkirk while everyone else in town was watching Kilmarnock win the Scottish Cup. So that'll be 24 May 1997, then. I loved ...Do America. I laughed so hard during the nuns in the bus scene that I farted. I worried that ...Do the Universe wouldn't live up to that but while I don't think I farted at any point, I thought it was just as good. It has a really weird charm to it, it's heart-felt, and it is somehow really funny that the story always seems to manage to progress while Beavis and Butt-Head aren't paying attention and are busy telling the same half-dozen jokes for an hour and a half. Maybe a bit baggy in the middle, but I laughed out loud throughout. 8/10

078 -- The Black Phone. The film adaptation of Joe Hill's short story is big on atmosphere and setting, and has two great performances from the leading kids, and has at least one scare in it that made the guy behind me donate his popcorn to the floor. A serial child-abducter is operating in Denver in the 70s, kidnaps Finney and throws him in a dungeon in his basement. A black phone on the wall is apparently disconnected but rings when the souls of the kids previously murdered contact Finney to make sure he doesn't suffer the same fate. It's light on scares, perhaps, but too many would be far worse, and there are a few lines of dialog that really stink the place up, but overall I thought it was great, and probably the best horror movie I've seen in the last couple of years. 8/10 

Edited by MSU