What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

50 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

It really isn't.

It is. Considerably.

21 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

My youngest (aged 12) agrees with you. She liked Jar Jar the best.

I prefer Qui Gon Jinn.

76. Weird Science (1985)* - iPlayer

Wasn’t a massive fan. Started off with an interesting enough premise but I felt myself losing interest in it after about 15 minutes. They just decided to lose themselves with a mad plot come the end which will appeal to some people but it wasn’t really what I wanted from what they set up. The characters also annoyed me early on and never managed to claw it back. It’ll definitely have its audience, though, and is probs a cult film.

77. Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)* - All4

Found this a bit hard to follow first time round but rewatched the opening 30 mins or so which made the rest of it clearer. Really interesting ‘mystery box’ that probably requires a full-scale submersion that I'm incapable of doing. 

78. Open Water (2003)* - DVD

Daft stuff that wanted to get its characters into a situation and roll with it. 

79. Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022)* - Cinema

The multiverse film that everyone’s talking about! I like that this has, in my mind, become a protest film to the MCU’s latest release (which I haven’t seen so don’t feel suited to comment on). It’ll probs bomb because Dr Strange needs to be showing all day every day, but this has clearly touched pretty much everyone who’s seen it so that’s something.

The opening kind of reminded me of Parasite, using pretty typical family interactions in quite an unusual home setting to set up everything that’s about to come, and the mundanity of family life to contrast a forthcoming wild ride. I was ready for that wild ride to commence. 

But then it lost me. Once the multiverse kicked in, I lost track of the stakes as I was more invested in them keeping their business open than whatever apocalyptic event I thought was going on, and I struggled to pin down the mechanics which was either because of teething problems for myself or the film. These two issues just brought me right out of it and I stopped caring about the fun going on. I thought I was gone.

Then it clawed me back. Its characters and themes started taking over again from the multiverse of madness and the premise and ideas became one in a way that made complete sense. I legit can’t imagine these themes told outside this concept or this concept without these themes. It’s a really poignant way to look at life and cut so damn deep. The multiverse is also kinda metaphorical as if you strip it away and look at the mainline narrative then you still get a brilliant character study but adding in the multiverse makes it an incredibly imaginative way to portray that character. Not sure I explained that too well but might make sense if you see it. The idea of drawing on different versions of yourself could've been too convenient in a worse film but it's all set out early on in a kinda comedic, kinda depressing way. There’s also a wonderful rock scene which reminded me of another A24 release, A Ghost Story. That makes all the set-pieces, visuals and funky style worthwhile (not that they would've been rubbish in isolation) as there's proper meaning behind some rip-roaring silliness. I actually found it more fun than funny but plenty of people were laughing so personal taste etc. 

I’d be interested to see it again to see if that sticky patch becomes more palatable on a second watch.

80. Mean Girls (2004)* - Sky Cinema

A series of somewhat connected events bookended by a by-the-numbers introduction and conclusion. 

81. The Innocents (2022)* - Cinema

This does something horrible fairly early on which put me on edge for the rest of it as showed what it's capable of and constantly threatened to go back there (which it sometimes did). A good way to make an often low-key horror/thriller more tense. It depicts responding to grief/loss/absence quite well by making things intense, sometimes emosh, sometimes hella scary, but I don't think I ever want to watch it again. 

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

It is. Considerably.

I prefer Qui Gon Jinn.

I thought Jar Jar and Liam Neeson were both shit in different ways, but I still prefer The Phantom Menace to the others.

It has Darth Maul (an utterly wasted villain), that big lightsaber duel at the end, and benefits hugely from nobody knowing exactly how poor the three films were going to end up being. There's no Hayden Christiansen and, incredibly, the dialogue would get even worse in the following films.

That said, we're really arguing about which meal tasted the best, the tuna sandwich smeared with shit, or the diarrhoea smoothies.

Anyhoo, I came across an old DVD of Basic Instinct 2 today and put it on; don't think I'd watched it since it was in the cinemas. Made it about halfway through - even worse than I remembered. Everyone and everything is terrible, and what a bizarre decision to make a sequel to a glamorous California erotic thriller by turning it into a bad episode of a B-grade ITV police drama.

Also, I'm all in favour of older women in sexy roles, but Sharon Stone's about as convincing in this as Mae West in Sextette, and it's kind of vital to the story to believe that she's irresistible. But she does kill Stan Collymore, so it's not all bad.

22 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I thought Jar Jar and Liam Neeson were both shit in different ways, but I still prefer The Phantom Menace to the others.

It has Darth Maul (an utterly wasted villain), that big lightsaber duel at the end, and benefits hugely from nobody knowing exactly how poor the three films were going to end up being. There's no Hayden Christiansen and, incredibly, the dialogue would get even worse in the following films.

That said, we're really arguing about which meal tasted the best, the tuna sandwich smeared with shit, or the diarrhoea smoothies.

Aye it's not a good film, rather thr least worst of the three.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

They do bring Maul back in the TV shows Clone Wars & Rebels

Some great stories, just a shame you don’t get to see them on the big screen

33 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

They do bring Maul back in the TV shows Clone Wars & Rebels

Some great stories, just a shame you don’t get to see them on the big screen

Aye, so I heard. Didn't he have robot spider legs or something?  :rolleyes:

One of the many reasons I've no interest in anything Star Wars anymore is that there are no stakes. Death is a minor inconvenience. Have they reanimated Han Solo yet? In a future series, Alderaan probably warps back into existence as soon as the Death Star leaves the sector.

28 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, so I heard. Didn't he have robot spider legs or something?  :rolleyes:

One of the many reasons I've no interest in anything Star Wars anymore is that there are no stakes. Death is a minor inconvenience. Have they reanimated Han Solo yet? In a future series, Alderaan probably warps back into existence as soon as the Death Star leaves the sector.

Aye but only for a few episodes 

Id genuinely recommend the last 4 episodes of Clones wars 

It runs parallel with ROTS, you get some Maul, you get some Ashoka, and some Clones 

Its very good 

On 25/05/2022 at 15:54, DeeTillEhDeh said:
On 25/05/2022 at 14:35, scottsdad said:
Tonight: Revenge of the Sith. Then I can finally be done with the prequels. 
I know they have their defenders, but re-watching these has made me realise how utterly dreadful a film maker Lucas had become. The dialogue is just woeful ("Younglings" ffs). The characters have no depth. The stories are convoluted and boring. The effects are good enough but man, I am looking forward to having this latest re-watch done. After this, my youngest will have seen all movies. 

It's probably the best of Episodes 1 to 3 - certainly better than the turd that is AotC.

I preferred AotC to RotS purely down to the fact AotC lead us to the clone wars, all 3 prequels were shit, TPM was only saved a bit cause darth maul was fucking awesome, and his fights with obi wan and qui gon were tremendous, even then that fucking pod race almost wrecked it completely 

AotC had the redeeming part on geonosis when the jedi came to rescue obi, anakin and padme, was a pretty decent scene seeing the jedi succumbing to the numbers and then yoda bringing the clones in, 

RotS basically had anakins march into the temple, his fight with obi wan, and yoda vs sidious, the rest was utter dung, even the beginning was utter horseshit, dooku was an exceptionally talented sith user and he was bitch slapped that quickly, nah

On 27/05/2022 at 00:42, Clown Job said:

Aye but only for a few episodes 

Id genuinely recommend the last 4 episodes of Clones wars 

It runs parallel with ROTS, you get some Maul, you get some Ashoka, and some Clones 

Its very good 

Clone wars has some absolutely amazing arcs that are quite dark given its a kinda kids show, the depiction of the war and how expendable the clones were is unreal, 

Landing at point rain is probably the best episode before the final 4 eps as you mentioned, but the umbara arc was top notch as well, 

060 -- Top Gun: Maverick. Top Gun wasn't really an important movie for me when I was growing up so I didn't particularly care that they were making a sequel. After seeing it, I still don't particularly care. Maverick is called away from test piloting a hypersonic jet to teach new Top Gun recruits ahead of a suicidal mission to blow up a uranium plant in a country that definitely isn't Iran. All the characters are the same, every line is written and delivered with the trailer in mind, the movie hits every narrative beat you expect it to with laser-guided precision. The aerial dog-fight sequences are incredible and thrilling enough but failed to make up for the dislikable characters, the by the numbers plot, the jingoism, or Tom Cruise running. Judging by the reaction of the audience (some of whom applauded at the end, FFS) I'm in a minority. 6/10

I just watched the 2012 On The Road film. I've read the book a few times over the years and the film was ok but the casting of Garret Hedlund as Dean Moriarty didn't really work, at no point do you think this guy has been in jail and worked as a hustler. The Kerouac character was a bit flat as well but that was more the script than performance. Kirsten Stewart was the best thing in it and the rest of the casting was great with Kirsten Dunst, Elizabeth Moss, Amy Adams and Viggo Mortensen all suited to their parts. 

I preferred AotC to RotS purely down to the fact AotC lead us to the clone wars, all 3 prequels were shit, TPM was only saved a bit cause darth maul was fucking awesome, and his fights with obi wan and qui gon were tremendous, even then that fucking pod race almost wrecked it completely 
AotC had the redeeming part on geonosis when the jedi came to rescue obi, anakin and padme, was a pretty decent scene seeing the jedi succumbing to the numbers and then yoda bringing the clones in, 
RotS basically had anakins march into the temple, his fight with obi wan, and yoda vs sidious, the rest was utter dung, even the beginning was utter horseshit, dooku was an exceptionally talented sith user and he was bitch slapped that quickly, nah
Tbf I fell asleep when I first watched AotC - the "romance" in the middle between the wooden Anakin and Padme was just awful.

8 hours ago, MSU said:

060 -- Top Gun: Maverick. Top Gun wasn't really an important movie for me when I was growing up so I didn't particularly care that they were making a sequel. After seeing it, I still don't particularly care. Maverick is called away from test piloting a hypersonic jet to teach new Top Gun recruits ahead of a suicidal mission to blow up a uranium plant in a country that definitely isn't Iran. All the characters are the same, every line is written and delivered with the trailer in mind, the movie hits every narrative beat you expect it to with laser-guided precision. The aerial dog-fight sequences are incredible and thrilling enough but failed to make up for the dislikable characters, the by the numbers plot, the jingoism, or Tom Cruise running. Judging by the reaction of the audience (some of whom applauded at the end, FFS) I'm in a minority. 6/10

I was the same. I put my own long take on it in the Maverick thread, but I genuinely thought this was a poor and pretty manipulative movie. I love Cruise and would watch him reading the phone book, but the rest of it (action scenes aside) was shite. I quite liked Top Gun but never bought into it as a huge cultural touchstone, so I didn't have the dopamine hit of nostalgia to dull my critical faculties. 

Spoiler

Rooster walking into the bar wearing exactly the same clothes as Goose had in the original movie was a shattering of the fourth wall that took me out the movie. He then proceeds to not only play the piano, but plays the exact same tune his Dad played in the original movie. The whole story and forced conflict (so that they can then make up) between them was an insult to the intelligence. There could have been a decent movie here, where Maverick goes back to Top Gun and teaches the new kids, who then develop and go through their own arcs, but the development of those characters is sacrificed for the horseshit sub-plot of Maverick and Rooster. That plot (and the unforgivably shite dialogue throughout the whole film) reminded me of a telenovella or daytime soap. Melodramatic and contrived. Other wee gripes were everyone being so bloody emotional all the time and the "elite" pilots being utterly freaked out flying under a bridge. They behaved like they'd never been out in a fighter jet before. 

I think the fans were nervous about this film. There's been a tendency towards "deconstruction" of previously beloved heroes where they are belittled and undermined in ways that were politically motivated or just nihilistic. Skywalker, Bond and (I haven't seen it, but have heard many people say this) Picard are three examples that spring to mind. I think the huge praise for this movie can be explained by the factor of recognition and nostalgia, and the relief that their beloved hero was treated with respect, affection and was allowed to fly off gloriously into the sunset.

I can't begrudge people that. I haven't seen that many joyous faces leaving a cinema in years. People were buzzing.