What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I'd say the storylines are good at the basic level. Palpatine playing both sides against each other in the Trade War and the Jedi investigating the Sith with Maul, Dooku then Anakin as antagonists are both good storylines which are undermined by the viewers knowing the major twists before PM even starts. 
The big issue is characters/actors. Han, Luke and Leia all have a charisma that Obi Wan, Anakin and Padme completely lack. 

Then you'll be delighted to hear that they're back! Check out Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney+ soon.

May the Force be with you.

The prequels are class. Of course the old ones are better but not by as much as some older folk make out. 

The one criticism I'll never understand is "Jar Jar binks is silly" and "funny voices" like do you guys not remember Ewoks? The Ewok section in ROTJ is a million times more cheesy and squeaky than anything that occurs in the prequels. The third of the prequels is the best of all of them.

49 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Ewoks are cute. It would be class to have Ewoks living in your garden (or have a garden for that matter). Hasbulla is basically a furless Ewok and look how popular he is. 

Jar Jar is annoying and mega racist.

Hasbulla patter is the worst of all the meme patter imo. Nothing near the halcyon days of Kony 2012 or Harambe. 

Just on the Jar Jar thing, I posted this in the star wars thread a while back but I recently saw a comic strip that was written about his family, something about them getting shipwrecked and Jar Jar binks dad tries to kill himself when his wife says to "live for his son" because he hates him so much. I'm not a big fan or know any nerdy lore so this could be a common story but I was creased at the thought of people actually putting this out there. 

4ie205zokh371.jpg

19 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Half an hour in and this is just punishment. So much about this that I had forgotten. Droids that say "Roger, Roger". The pisspoor dialogue. The lack of story. The acting. Jar Jar Binks. The cartoon voices of the unthreatening baddies. Did nobody at the studio watch this pish before releasing it? 

On the upside my kids tell me there is a level on the new lego star wars game called "Better Call Maul". 

Only redeeming part of the phantom menace is duel of the fates, that music coupled with maul fighting with the doubled bladed lightsaber is tremendous

But for every positive theres a negative, fucking pod racing, wtf

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Phantom Menace is the best of the prequels. I loved it as a kid, was so. excited to see it in the cinema.

It's not a good film, but does have some good moments. Also features the least annoying version of Anakin.

Oooh, AOTC is the worst of the prequels! Awful, awful film.

Lucas is a bit of an idiot. Quite telling that he had no one to tell him to pipe down on his pish for the prequels, unlike the original trilogy (such as his plan to make Han a green alien). His storylines for the prequels are abysmal and poorly executed.

The special effects in the original trilogy that he added in are rank and, as you say, add absolutely nothing.

AotC is the worst but its close, it however leads into the clone wars animated series, and that was fucking tremendous compared to the films, even anakin isnt an annoying whiney c**t in the animated series, 

6 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

AotC is the worst but its close, it however leads into the clone wars animated series, and that was fucking tremendous compared to the films, even anakin isnt an annoying whiney c**t in the animated series, 

I am not looking forward to Hayden Christensen's Annakin. Dreadful acting.

6 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Then you'll be delighted to hear that they're back! Check out Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney+ soon.

May the Force be with you.

Not sure Padme will be returning...

62. Deadly Radio Romance (2021)* - Channel 5

This lost me when the title card had a different name from the title on the poster. Can only assume they were trolling me.

63. The Northman (2022)* - Cinema

Was gonna hold off on doing this until I rewatched it but fuckit. I was sitting next to The Worst Couple in the World who fired through a rucksack full of the noisiest snacks, a 2L of Coke that caused them to keep burping, they kept shouting and pointing at the screen and coughing all over the place. This kinda ruined my experience. It’s good though.

The character journey is great. He goes through a whole load of motivations and emotions due to a series of choices and sliding doors moments. That actually caused the climax to go on a wee bit too long for my liking but I was happy with why as it was a representation of his journey. A wee bit like TLOU2 but less annoying. It wasn’t dissimilar to The Lighthouse in terms of its approach to masculinity although I felt there was a bit of variance in terms of why that’s there. Much like The Lighthouse (and The Witch) Robert Eggers’ ability to maintain intensity is so good. If I’m continuing with comparisons then let’s chuck in The Green Knight from last year too. A kind-of-odyssey following a young male going on a coming of age journey in a world that blends fantasy and reality in a way that makes both fit in really nicely.

It looked incredible too. They used a huge lens to take in so much of the surroundings and loved big, long takes and cool camera movements to draw you into the world.

64. Playground (2022)* - Cinema

A first shot that hooked my sympathy and the rest of its (really short) runtime never let it go. I like it when a film withholds a lot of information about what happened before it starts and you’re left to piece together motivations and all the unseen stuff for the remainder of the movie. This does that and it doesn’t really well, using its one setting (a school) to give you a sense of how easy it is to neglect what goes on beyond what you can see. It’s brutal (not violently) and real. I think The Florida Project might do this too, but the camera is always at head height for the wee kid to let us see the world from their POV which also makes it quite claustrophobic and ramps up tension by often not letting us see what’s above the frame.

It was strange watching it as someone who hasn’t been in school for years and wondering how these film characters obviously command sympathy but are avoided/bullied in school. What contributes to that? Peer pressure? Immaturity? Parents? Class? It’s all there in Playground. Really good stuff.

65. Sorority Row (2009)* - Horror Channel

I’ve forgotten this already. Carrie Fisher had a shotgun at one point which was funny.

66. The Vanishing (1988)* - DVD

One of the most low-key, unconventional yet absolutely brilliant thrillers you’ll see. An experience.

67. Benedetta (2022)* - Cinema

This starts off brilliantly – it’s so stupid, Americanised and melodramatic which I think was deliberate and often funny. HOWEVER, it got to a point where that wasn’t enough for me and I began wondering what the heck I was doing with myself. I’m not interested in religion so didn’t care about characters, didn’t care about the metaphor and didn’t care about the story’s direction. Ended up bored which was really disappointing for something that held so much entertainment.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I am not looking forward to Hayden Christensen's Annakin. Dreadful acting.

He was quite good in "Shattered Glass" where he plays a journalist called Stephen Glass who wrote stories for the New Republic magazine.

28 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

He was quite good in "Shattered Glass" where he plays a journalist called Stephen Glass who wrote stories for the New Republic magazine.

There is a Scottish football-related joke in here somewhere, but I just can't find it...

56 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

There is a Scottish football-related joke in here somewhere, but I just can't find it...

Maybe there should be.  Let's just say the other Stephen Glass might have written about Aberdeen winning the league and then the European Cup but that would be telling too much about the film.

On 04/05/2022 at 14:19, scottsdad said:

We got through the original Star Wars trilogy. My youngest is making me watch the prequels. 

Tonight we are watching the Phantom Menace. 

star-wars-samuel-l-jackson.gif

Missed an excellent opportunity to run from the room, yelling "goodbye sucker!"

The Phantom Menace is the best of them. It's not a good film. Attack of the Clones is the worst; so very, very boring.

When Scott was a wee lad he loved the prequels, and is enjoying (I think) going through these again. 

When he was 4 or 5 the school had a fun day, with face painting, balloons and so on. He went to get his face painted. We gave him a quid and he handed it over and sat down. 

"What do you want to look like?" one of the mums asked him. 

"Count Dooku," he answered. 

After a bit of explaining to the woman that our wee boy wanted to look like Christopher Lee, she ended up just covering his face with grey face paint and gave him white eyebrows. 

19 hours ago, accies1874 said:

67. Benedetta (2022)* - Cinema

This starts off brilliantly – it’s so stupid, Americanised and melodramatic which I think was deliberate and often funny. HOWEVER, it got to a point where that wasn’t enough for me and I began wondering what the heck I was doing with myself. I’m not interested in religion so didn’t care about characters, didn’t care about the metaphor and didn’t care about the story’s direction. Ended up bored which was really disappointing for something that held so much entertainment.

I don't really see how you thought it was Americanised or melodramatic? The focus on bodily functions is suited to the period and it's all about what is a sign from God, what's a superstition, what's a delusion, what's a lie? In the Northman all the characters 100% believe in Norse religion and don't seem capable of doubt. In Benedetta they all believe but are also moving away from being totally subsumed by it. 

Benedetta having an incredible tan under her robes was a bit unbelievable as is the fact that Virginia Efira was 43 when it was filmed. Her body is a miracle. 

Edited by Detournement