What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Roar (1981)

One of the wildest films I have ever seen. A story of a family visiting their father and his big cat sanctuary in Africa but a mix up means they have to fend for themselves among dozens (and I mean dozens) of untrained cats. Over 100 cast and crew possibly got injured.

An elephant broke Tippi Hedren's ankle.

Jan de Bont was scalped by a Lion.

The director/star almost lost his arm after a lion bite.

There's an African lad who's a mate of the dad who is clearly shitting himself every time a big cat is near him.

There's a scene in his house with an angry lion chasing them through the house that's absolutely bloody terrifying.

8/10 - it's harrowing and in a weird way heartwarming?

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Never heard of Roar, but did Tippi Hedren and Melanie Griffiths not keep big cats themselves?

Dame Angela Lansbury News 😷 on Twitter: "Happy 89th Birthday to the film  icon of the 60s and animal rights activist, the gorgeous Tippi Hedren! Many  happy years and great roles to

What would you do if you got invited back to a Hollywood godess's house but she had a lion? A very unique danger ride.

Edited by Detournement

On 28/02/2022 at 13:56, Fullerene said:

You don't really need to recommend. 

Gene Hackman is brilliant in almost every film he has been in.

Agreed, I could watch him til the cows come home. 

I've just started watching Knives Out. I don't like Jamie Lee Curtis, I don't like Toni Collette and I don't like the modern kind of film which has lots of cuts and lots of Intelligent People saying Intelligent things and James Bond is talking like Foghorn Leghorn. Please try to convince me to keep watching. 

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've just started watching Knives Out. I don't like Jamie Lee Curtis, I don't like Toni Collette and I don't like the modern kind of film which has lots of cuts and lots of Intelligent People saying Intelligent things and James Bond is talking like Foghorn Leghorn. Please try to convince me to keep watching. 

Haven't seen it, but I bloody will be after that assessment!

This was reason enough for me tbh.ana-de-armas-1626771511.jpg

018 -- The Batman. Nolan's trilogy will always be the bar for Batman movies for me, but this came close. Robert Pattinson is a pretty great actor when he's not pretending to be a vampire and makes a far better bat. Colin Farrell is utterly unrecognizable even though I knew Colin Farrell is in the movie. Matt Reeves direction is spot on and for a dark movie where most every scene is at night, it's lit beautifully. The story is decent, although maybe some of the Riddler's riddles are kinda simplistic, and the whole thing (and particularly a bit around the two hour mark) reminded me an awful lot of Seven. It doesn't feel like a three hour movie, but that said it definitely doesn't feel like a 90 minute movie. 8/10

I honestly think Knives Out is the perfect Saturday night film. It's a great blend of sincerity and silliness, more the latter which made the former more impactful to me, wrapped up in a fun mystery with enjoyable characters.

The Hand Of God (2021)

Italian film directed by Paolo Sorrentino. I've seen one of his previous films The Family Friend so knew this was going to be a bit off the wall. Inspired by Cuaron's Roma it's basically a coming of age film set against the backdrop of Naples at the time Diego Maradona signed for Napoli. The first half of the film has loads of Fellini like imagery and freakish characters but after a family tragedy the film becomes more autobiographical with the main character Fabietto having to grow up quick and decide on his future. Not sure if it was intentional but did like a couple of Gomorrah character names cropping up, Gennaro and Little Monk.

7/10

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I honestly think Knives Out is the perfect Saturday night film. It's a great blend of sincerity and silliness, more the latter which made the former more impactful to me, wrapped up in a fun mystery with enjoyable characters.

It improved as it went on but the denouement lasted too long imo, it took about half an hour to explain what was pretty straightforward (and a bit dumb). Plus I just couldn't take Bond's accent seriously.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

You need to watch Knock Knock then...

Huh. I didn't twig that was the same lassie who got all the plaudits for the last Bond film.

I remember Knock Knock as the film in which Eli Roth got to film his wife having a threesome with Keanu Reeves. As fantasies go, it's probably a common one.

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

Huh. I didn't twig that was the same lassie who got all the plaudits for the last Bond film.

I remember Knock Knock as the film in which Eli Roth got to film his wife having a threesome with Keanu Reeves. As fantasies go, it's probably a common one.

Don’t think Simon Mayo knew how to react recently when he was talking to Maggie Gyllenhaal about her directing her husband’s sex scenes with Jessie Buckley. Mayo’s angle was that it must have been odd but her take was that it was her little gift to him.