What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

6 hours ago, Fullerene said:

When I watch a film, I fully accept I have to suspend belief to some extent.  What is the possibility that beings in a galaxy far far away speak in a language that I understand?  Probably none.  Aftèr all there are lots of people in  Scotland I don't understand even slightly.

My point is that most films require a suspension of belief, so why does a correct accent ever matter in a film.

that is my point - it doesn't need to be a correct accent!! What it doesn't need to be is French people portrayed as speaking French (even though it is in English) speaking like someone from 'allo 'allo. There are lots of articles about this - its is not about suspension of disbelief it is the almost constant use of a trope that doesn't make any sense that is my bug-bear. 

https://patenttranslator.wordpress.com/2015/07/20/the-incredible-inauthenticity-of-fake-foreign-accents-in-american-movies/ - Why is it that in American movies set in foreign, far-away and exotic countries (such as communist Czechoslovakia or Nazi Germany), actors whose first language is English are forced to adopt a fake foreign accent?

3 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

that is my point - it doesn't need to be a correct accent!! What it doesn't need to be is French people portrayed as speaking French (even though it is in English) speaking like someone from 'allo 'allo. There are lots of articles about this - its is not about suspension of disbelief it is the almost constant use of a trope that doesn't make any sense that is my bug-bear. 

All this talk about fake accents.  I came across this clip.

Parasite - (2019 Academy Award Winner - Best Picture) - South Korean dark comedy (subtitles) directed by Bong-Joon Ho.
Heart warming, cynical, amusing, shocking. Well worth a watch, thoroughly enjoyed it. One of those films when the credits start rolling you think, ‘wtf did we just watch there’!?[emoji15]

6. Evil Stepmom (2021)* - Channel 5

Channel 5's TV movies are amazing. They're all 85 minutes, have the most on the nose titles, are lit like low-budget adverts and have some sort of familial "mystery". I'm certain they're a scam. In Evil Stepmom, a dad (played by the only person who looks like he knows he's in a load of nonsense) coaches his two daughters' soccer team "Toffees", who play in blue - I can only assume the link to Everton is coincidental - before the EVIL STEPMOM arrives on the scene with her daughter. Will the EVIL STEPMOM turn out to be an adequate replacement for their dead mum, or will she be EVIL? Watch and find out!

7. A Swedish Love Story (1970)* - MUBI

This is wonderful. I was quite taken by the couple of other Roy Andersson films I'd seen due to their weird, detached style that makes you feel like you're spying on folk at vulnerable moments, and I wasn't sure if the one-take, still-camera, sketch show nature of them was something that he'd done in all of his work until I saw A Swedish Love Story (the other two were part of his Living trilogy so the aesthetic could be limited to that). Despite this being much more conventional aesthetically, it still gives that respect to everyday lives and stories and has faith in them to justify a feature. The atmosphere is really enticing which makes it all the sadder that you watch a teenage romance starting out with the backdrop of so many bitter/dissatisfied relationships that probably started out similarly to the central romance. I was conflicted between just enjoying seeing people like each other before the corruption of adulthood, and thinking that it's just gonna end up like the other relationships we see. I think it's more an ode to youth than a depressing tale that it's all gonna go to shit, but I suppose the two go hand in hand. 

8. Career Girls (1997) - Film4

Another growing up film. I really liked how it compared the past versions of the characters with their "present" selves and how those previous insecurities still permeate despite trying to learn to hide them in adulthood. The past versions of Annie and Hannah are much more exaggerated and I wonder if that was done to make contrast more distinct - that didn't really work for me though. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it as a character study about revisiting the past literally and metaphorically. 

16 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Ghostbusters Afterlife 8/10

Loved it. The nostalgia had me the whole way through. Pretty much just a remake of the original film though. As much as i enjoyed it, they need to knock it on the head now

Ha. Just watched it now.

Came on to post that it was absolute nonsense.

I fucking loved it.

In the heat of the night 

I marked the sad passing of Sidney Poitier by digging out my DVD of this classic.

Poitier plays a detective helping a bunch of racist redneck cops solve a murder. 

Excellent performances all round. 

10/10

Stripes

80s screwball comedy about a pair of slackers who join the army and become unlikely heroes.

Decent cast including Bill Murray, John Candy and Warren Oates.

Plenty of slapstick humour and gratuitous tits. This is from the same fine tradition of American comedies as the likes of Porky's or Police Academy.

A perfect film for those times when you just want a laugh and can't be arsed with anything too highbrow.

8/10

Edited by Paul Kersey

002 -- The 355. Jessica Chastain, Diane Kruger, Penelope Cruz, and Lupita Nyong'o are the reluctant intelligence agents, forced to team up to chase a McGuffin around the globe that, if in the wrong hands, could start WW3. Despite a pretty solid cast, the story is boring and predictable and takes itself way too seriously. The trailer made this out to be a bit of light-hearted fun and I feel I have a decent complaint to take to the Trailer Ombudsman. No one onscreen seems to be enjoying themselves and it was even boring enough to sedate the group of unruly youths who'd occupied the back row of the cinema into a stupor. 3/10 

Just to chime in on the accent thing, Chernobyl also went the same route as The Death of Stalin and was all the better for it. The only way to improve it would to ensure the characters from the same regions of the Soviet Union as each other had similar English accents to each other too.

Hadn't realised until now that I quite fancy a film about something Scottish with Russian actors speaking English.

Or, better yet, imagine if those Wakaliwood boys made a film about William Wallace! I'd be pre-ordering the Blu-Ray now.

On 21/12/2021 at 09:16, Fullerene said:

Jaws is a monster movie similar to Alien or Predator.  As such there is always the issue of a convincing monster or not.  I can think of several films that went downhill when the monster appears - possibly most.

However the alien crab crawl scene was thankfully cut from Alien.  Jean Claude Van Damne was thankfully not the Predator.  Jaws benefitted from shark problems reducing the screen time for the shark and the music being an excellent substitute.

Suggesting the shark looked fake is an easy excuse.  Guess what.  It was.

Definitely an excellent film 10/10.

To quote Mark Kermode...Jaws is not a film about a shark , it's a film with a shark in it, the characters in the film is what makes it such a great watch .

Brilliant performances by the 3 lead characters 

3 hours ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

To quote Mark Kermode...Jaws is not a film about a shark , it's a film with a shark in it, the characters in the film is what makes it such a great watch .

Brilliant performances by the 3 lead characters 

It would be more realistic if the shark had a Russian accent though...

On 08/01/2022 at 11:38, Clockwork said:

Parasite - (2019 Academy Award Winner - Best Picture) - South Korean dark comedy (subtitles) directed by Bong-Joon Ho.
Heart warming, cynical, amusing, shocking. Well worth a watch, thoroughly enjoyed it. One of those films when the credits start rolling you think, ‘wtf did we just watch there’!?emoji15.png

Heart warming????

Boiling Point (2021)

Stephen Graham is brilliant as always in a "single take" drama about a busy service in a restaurant.

The nature of the direction make it look like a play and is incredibly well done. Graham's character has some grief to deal with both related and unrelated to his role as a head chef and there's some decent support from the other actors.

However as soon as the nut allergy couple appeared it was obvious that would be the jeopardy and at the end of the film I felt kinda "meh" about the whole thing.

Also I'm sure there will be plenty of people who work in a restaurant claiming that it's an unrealistic depiction.

21 hours ago, MSU said:

002 -- The 355. Jessica Chastain, Diane Kruger, Penelope Cruz, and Lupita Nyong'o are the reluctant intelligence agents, forced to team up to chase a McGuffin around the globe that, if in the wrong hands, could start WW3. Despite a pretty solid cast, the story is boring and predictable and takes itself way too seriously. The trailer made this out to be a bit of light-hearted fun and I feel I have a decent complaint to take to the Trailer Ombudsman. No one onscreen seems to be enjoying themselves and it was even boring enough to sedate the group of unruly youths who'd occupied the back row of the cinema into a stupor. 3/10 

There looks to be so much estrogen in 355 that my Willie would shrink back up inside itself if I watched it. It also looks shite.

Tick Tick...BOOM! - 8/10

A semi-musical film about Jonathan Larson that features a singing Andrew Garfield. Didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did but it's a great film.

Venom: Let There Be Carnage - 6.5/10

It's light hearted entertainment that raised a few laughs. It's not the best superhero movie going but it's an hour and a half of fun.

Recently watched The King's Man. This turned out to be a great film. Way better than i expected to be honest. In case anyone was wondering, Kingsman 3 is beginning film production September 2022.

Reviews panned it but I enjoyed it. Some really good fight scenes, particularly with Rasputin and as a history geek, I enjoyed working out what was coming and seeing some historic figures brought to life in bizarre ways. Surprisingly decent depictions of trench warfare also, with the last scene there genuinely catching me off guard.

9. Up in the Air (2009)* - DVD

Meh. Not terrible, just standard fare for this kind of story. 

10. Rope (1948)* - DVD

Too many close-ups of people's backs.

0/10

11. Young Adult (2011)* - BBC One

I didn't mean to watch two Jason Reitman films over the weekend and only found out he directed this one when the opening credits started to roll. As it happens, I thought this was really good, mostly due to Charlize Theron who's excellent at capturing those tiny interactions (she's great in another JR film Tully) and kept me interested in the character while she was behaving like an asshole. Kudos for not doing a cheesy redemption turn and actually addressing the fact that Mavis is fucked up, even if they could've been a bit less on-the-nose or just binned a couple of scenes. I get the feeling they might've actually messed it all up if the film went on for a bit longer, but it didn't and it was good. It's a pretty simple trick but having the movie bookended by the main character entering and leaving a temporary residence is a nice way to make the viewer reflect on the person is leaving compared to entering. Arcs n that.  

Loving The Shining chat! I like the book and the film, fence-sitting c**t that I am. 
I feel sorry for Stephen King not enjoying Kubrick’s version. The thing in the book that scared me most was the sculpted hedge animals that started following and clawing.

This. It terrified me. I suppose CGI wouldn't have been as big a thing back when the film was made so Kubrick decided to leave that part.

The Shining is a terrifying read. I was at Uni when I read it and had to travel on the bus to one of my placements so read en route. It didn't have many stops but whenever the air released from the doors I would jump, so engrossed/terrified I was with the story. Really need to start reading more King novels but doubt any will be as scary as The Shining.