What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

15 hours ago, accies1874 said:

FrankieS and BFTD have inspired me to try and post for everything I see in 2022. I'll probably give up by mid-January. 

1. Annie Hall (1977) - DVD

One of my all-time faves, even though it was made by a horrible probable paedophile. A really wonderful script that tells us that life is pointless but also kinda good when you're not actually experiencing it. Memories and that. Characters like Alvy usually annoy me with their constant asides, but here it's all from a place of vulnerability and it was quite ballsy* of Woody Allen to write and act a role for himself, perhaps about himself, as a manipulative and selfish p***k for the most part. The style of it might grate on folk but I think it gives an insight into Alvy's wandering mind and the structure helps with that too as well as letting us see Annie grow to leave him behind. 

*he's been too ballsy in his life, amarite? 

Christopher Walken was such an unknown at the time he was credited as Christopher Wlanken (sic) and as for Sigourney Weaver...little more than an extra as "Alvy's Date" outside the cinema.

You're wrong about Lost Highway though.

Got my daughter to put a film on last night for me Never knew it existed until a couple of weeks a go  It is called 3 wheeling It is about  the insane world of the Isle of Man TT sidecar racers shot during the 2016 TT Loved every minute of it First time i have ever paid to watch something on stream The best £2-99 i will ever spend! If you are a motorsport fan it is well worth a watch  Check out the you tube video The worst part of the Isle of Man TT which is taken off the film if you do not want to watch the full film

Christopher Walken was such an unknown at the time he was credited as Christopher Wlanken (sic) and as for Sigourney Weaver...little more than an extra as "Alvy's Date" outside the cinema.
You're wrong about Lost Highway though.
Christopher Walken would be my no. 1 candidate for People You Dislike For No Reason.

Speed was being shown at the cinema last night. The first time I think I’ve actually watched this full movie (or maybe just first time I’ve watched it at an age I can appreciate movies). This is actually a really solid action film despite how stupid the premise is and if you discount the bus jumping a 50ft gap.
However it definitely should end about 10-15 minutes earlier than it does, probably at the stand off between Reeves and the bad guy in the underground tunnel bit the whole subway part is poor.

1 hour ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Speed was being shown at the cinema last night. The first time I think I’ve actually watched this full movie (or maybe just first time I’ve watched it at an age I can appreciate movies). This is actually a really solid action film despite how stupid the premise is and if you discount the bus jumping a 50ft gap.
However it definitely should end about 10-15 minutes earlier than it does, probably at the stand off between Reeves and the bad guy in the underground tunnel bit the whole subway part is poor.

Funny to think back to when that film came out. People were shocked at Keanu Reeves being an action hero, as he was mainly known for comedy and some poorly-advised attempts at serious acting. Like how Leslie Nielsen is remembered for his goofy comedies, despite being a serious actor (and a good one too) for decades beforehand.

Speed is absolutely brilliantl. A VHS all time classic. I have a distinct memory of it in one of those massive boxes you got when you got a video from the library. 

I watched all this stuff on video and telly but Point Break was a big action film and the two Gus Van Sant movies he did are great especially My Own Private Idaho. 

On 05/01/2022 at 12:20, Soapy FFC said:

Watched the Godfather 2 yesterday. 3 hours well spent.

I'm watching it now, and have just got to my favourite bit

Spoiler

Where he meets Celemenza, who thanks Vito for looking after some dodgy shit by offering him a new carpet. Which Vito then has to help Celemenza steal :lol:

On 31/12/2021 at 08:44, Fullerene said:

Sean Connery was one of many actors who never did accents regardless of who they were supposed to be.

"Name of the Rose" and "Highlander" would have been worse if he had tried.  You would have felt cheated.

Tommy Lee Jones, Michael Caine and James Mason are others.

Compare Tom Cruise not even trying to sound German in "Valkyrie" with his dreadful Irish accent on "Far and Away".

and that is the best way to go - I struggle to understand why some films insist on characters who are speaking to each other in a local language, delivering their (English) dialogue in an archetypal stereotypical accent commonly associated with that country. 

Valkyrie was clever in that Cruise kicked off speaking German, the camera panned in close to his mouth and then panned back, with him still talking but now in English. And then everyone spoke English from then onwards in their own accents, regardless of what that accent was (if I remember correctly). Death of Stalin did something similar. 

At the same time you have something like Black Widow where they are all speaking Russian to each other at various points in English delivered with the stereotypical accent of a Russian speaking English.

a confusing process to wrap heads around, my own included, but grinds my gears nonetheless! 

13 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

and that is the best way to go - I struggle to understand why some films insist on characters who are speaking to each other in a local language, delivering their (English) dialogue in an archetypal stereotypical accent commonly associated with that country. 

Valkyrie was clever in that Cruise kicked off speaking German, the camera panned in close to his mouth and then panned back, with him still talking but now in English. And then everyone spoke English from then onwards in their own accents, regardless of what that accent was (if I remember correctly). Death of Stalin did something similar. 

At the same time you have something like Black Widow where they are all speaking Russian to each other at various points in English delivered with the stereotypical accent of a Russian speaking English.

a confusing process to wrap heads around, my own included, but grinds my gears nonetheless! 

I remember hearing an Armando Ianucci interview about Death of Stalin, where he was talking about all the people who criticised him for just letting the actors use their own accents.

He made the very simple point that the majority of the characters were from various different parts of the Soviet Union, so would have had different accents speaking Russian anyway

16 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I remember hearing an Armando Ianucci interview about Death of Stalin, where he was talking about all the people who criticised him for just letting the actors use their own accents.

He made the very simple point that the majority of the characters were from various different parts of the Soviet Union, so would have had different accents speaking Russian anyway

yes, Iannucci should had insisted that the actors, whose characters were all speaking Russian, deliver their lines in English in stereotypical Russian accents. That would have made it far more realistic for some.......

4 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

yes, Iannucci should had insisted that the actors, whose characters were all speaking Russian, deliver their lines in English in stereotypical Russian accents. That would have made it far more realistic for some.......

I'm pretty sure the interview was one of the RHLSTP shows. He and Herring eventually agreed that the only way to make an historically accurate film was to have the characters played by the original people they were based upon.

Up for recording all the movies I see this year with an understanding that a mid-January failure (ie next week) is likely.

001 -- The Lost Leonardo. A fascinating documentary about the discovery of Salvator Mundi in a dingy New Orleans auction house, bought for $1k and under restoration was suspected to be painted by da VInci. Not only is it interesting from the point of view of the mystery, it also shone a light on the corruption of the art world, the use of tax evading Swiss freeports, and all the schemes that are concocted in the exchange of hundreds of millions of dollars. 8/10

3 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

In Star Trek The Next Generation, Patrick Stewart is supposed to be a Frenchman.  After a couple of attempts they decided to abandon the idea and he spoke in his normal accent afterwards.

This was discussed when he appeared on Parkinson, who as a fellow Yorkshire man suggested that it would have been better if Patrick had done Jean Luc Picard in a thick Yorkshire accent.

Patrick then attempted to do so.

"Space.  Final frontier.  These are voyages of Enterprise .." but he couldn't get far before he burst out laughing.

Cinema and TV is all about asking you to accept certain things.  Case in point - Star Trek is not actually filmed in outer space or other planets!

Once you accept that point, why does an accent or even language have to be authentic?

9 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

In Star Trek The Next Generation, Patrick Stewart is supposed to be a Frenchman.  After a couple of attempts they decided to abandon the idea and he spoke in his normal accent afterwards.

This was discussed when he appeared on Parkinson, who as a fellow Yorkshire man suggested that it would have been better if Patrick had done Jean Luc Picard in a thick Yorkshire accent.

"Space.  Final frontier.  These are voyages of Enterprise .." but he couldn't get far before he burst out laughing.

Cinema and TV is all about asking you to accept certain things.  Case in point - Star Trek is not actually filmed in outer space or other planets!

Once you accept that point, why does an accent or even language have to be authentic?

thats not the point though - Picard speaks to the bridge and the crew in English and many French people speak perfect English without a hint of an accent. 

8 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

thats not the point though - Picard speaks to the bridge and the crew in English and many French people speak perfect English without a hint of an accent. 

Yeah.  .. and I have met some real Klingons who say Worf sounds like a Terran imposter.

Ghostbusters Afterlife 8/10

Loved it. The nostalgia had me the whole way through. Pretty much just a remake of the original film though. As much as i enjoyed it, they need to knock it on the head now

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

‘allo ‘allo in space would have been pish IMO.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Yeah.  .. and I have met some real Klingons who say Worf sounds like a Terran imposter.

you're not understanding my point but no worries as I probably haven't explained it very well.

and those who consider Worf to be a Terran - maybe he is. Shine a light in his eye. 

2 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

you're not understanding my point but no worries as I probably haven't explained it very well.

and those who consider Worf to be a Terran - maybe he is. Shine a light in his eye. 

When I watch a film, I fully accept I have to suspend belief to some extent.  What is the possibility that beings in a galaxy far far away speak in a language that I understand?  Probably none.  Aftèr all there are lots of people in  Scotland I don't understand even slightly.

My point is that most films require a suspension of belief, so why does a correct accent ever matter in a film.

Edited by Fullerene