What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

10 hours ago, accies1874 said:

This is what appeals to me. A lot of it just seems like Lana Wachowski was trolling which I can imagine being funny no matter if it's intentional.

Between being a student in 2019 and being in a pandemic in 2020, I must've watched close to a thousand across those two years (obvs not all for the first time). I kept a note of how many but I'm too scared to look.

Over one film a day on average is fucking nuts, but fair play as well, if its what you enjoy then f**k it lol

On 02/01/2022 at 15:54, pozbaird said:

Just watched ‘No Time to Die’ for the first time. Never saw it in the cinema, avoided reviews. I’m a huge Bond fan too… utter pish. Shite theme tune, way, way, too long, and Blofeld’s Bionic Eye? FFS. Obviously, before watching, you park your sensible head in a car park space reserved for James Bond, but even then, there’s levels of OTT gadgetry or sheer stupidity that, in my opinion, can go a long way to me thinking if a Bond movie is a good one, or a crap one. Blofeld’s Bionic Eye, and magnets thrown down a lift shaft so you can just jump down? That crosses a line into Brosnan’s invisible car territory, IMHO. 

A shite Bond villain, a meandering tensionless plot, and those long, deliberate monologues between the main characters for no other reason than to show us ‘these guys can really act, no, really, this is serious acting shit going on here’. Malik’s mumbling, slurring, speaking oh-so-slowly character was bloody awful.

I really like Daniel Craig, and I thought ‘Spectre’ was a tremendous film, but this is tosh.

Agree entire with your view in NTTD, but not with your assessment of Spectre. A movie with the best pre-credits sequence of all the Bonds followed by an absolute by the numbers, lazy (but also trying hard to be too clever by weirdly ret-conning Silver and Le Chiffre into Blofeld's plan) and utterly boring film which wasted Blofeld, the greatest of all Bond villains.

Anyway, heids gone thread for this pish 🙃

Radiohead's theme song works so much better with the opening credits to Spectre and tone of the film/series than the generic pish they went along with.

6 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

Watched the Godfather 2 yesterday. 3 hours well spent.

There's a TV edit of the first two films stitched together, including lots of extra scenes and suchlike. I wouldn't say it's better than either of them individually, and I think it's edited to remove some of the less daytime TV-friendly scenes, but it's still well worth tracking down if you're a fan. I don't know if it's ever been shown here.

Edit: turns out that it's since been upgraded to HD, and has had the edits restored! Also, there's a version that includes the third film, if you really have to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Godfather_Saga

Edited by BFTD

55 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

I just spent nearly an hour on netflix and hbo max for a movie to watch tonight, any decent looking ones ive already seen

Been there, done that. That's the reason I stopped subscribing to streaming services.

I'm sure they're great if you're into TV series, but I don't often have the time. For films, it's either DVD or BitTorrent for me.

On 29/12/2021 at 22:52, Richey Edwards said:

The Untouchables. I had never seen it before.

Starring Sean Connery doing the same accent he does in all of his movies.

I had the game on the commodore 64. It was great. If you typed in the word "technique" on the loading page, you got infinite lives. 

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I watched Ghostbusters the other day and I was surprised at how modern it looked. Even the CGI stuff didn't look old and still looked more real than the stuff you get nowadays.

There's a definite argument for well-done practical effects over CGI, at least in some cases.

See The Thing (1982) vs The Thing (2011), for example. Although apparently the latter film was filmed with excellent practical effects, only for Universal to draw over them with CG afterwards  :yucky

FrankieS and BFTD have inspired me to try and post for everything I see in 2022. I'll probably give up by mid-January. 

1. Annie Hall (1977) - DVD

One of my all-time faves, even though it was made by a horrible probable paedophile. A really wonderful script that tells us that life is pointless but also kinda good when you're not actually experiencing it. Memories and that. Characters like Alvy usually annoy me with their constant asides, but here it's all from a place of vulnerability and it was quite ballsy* of Woody Allen to write and act a role for himself, perhaps about himself, as a manipulative and selfish p***k for the most part. The style of it might grate on folk but I think it gives an insight into Alvy's wandering mind and the structure helps with that too as well as letting us see Annie grow to leave him behind. 

*he's been too ballsy in his life, amarite?

2. Lost Highway (1997) - DVD

This was the last in the David Lynch boxset I got recently. f**k knows tbh. 

3. The Tragedy of Macbeth (2021) - Cinema

When it's done right, I love films that use their sets and lighting in completely unnatural ways and this had that all over. Obvious lightbulbs as stars, minimalist and theatrical sets, and exaggerated smoke effects. It also had perhaps the coolest transition I've ever seen in a live action film, and the boxed aspect ratio was a neat way to focus on the mad Shakespeare soliloquies. The words were almost relegated to a rhythm that along with the performances and visuals, becomes hypnotic. It's weird as I've been wondering why it exists now and have found no better reasons other than a) its themes are evergreen, and b) why the f**k not when you're gonna make it look this cool? Is that enough? Hell yeah!

4. Darkman (1990) - Sky Cinema

This felt like something I'd seen loads of times before from the 90s and later-80s. Sam Raimi's style helped elevate it to something a bit more entertaining but the whole thing was just a bit lacklustre to me. 

5. A Simple Plan (1998) - iPlayer

This is more like it, Sam! His style almost takes a backseat here and lets the script and actors do the talking which results in a tense, twisty, turny, gripping, excruciating thriller that flies in the face of people who want a "likeable" lead character. Bill Paxton is an asshole and I couldn't stop watching his descent into cuntery. It does pose the question of whether we're all c***s anyway or if that's just what power/money does to us, and also has the always-timely class structures stuff. 

9 hours ago, BFTD said:

There's a definite argument for well-done practical effects over CGI, at least in some cases.

See The Thing (1982) vs The Thing (2011), for example. Although apparently the latter film was filmed with excellent practical effects, only for Universal to draw over them with CG afterwards  :yucky

You also need to watch the original "The Thing from Another World" (1951).

In one scene, there is an explosion and everybody is alarmed - apart from a dog that does not react at all.  Excellent.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

You also need to watch the original "The Thing from Another World" (1951).

In one scene, there is an explosion and everybody is alarmed - apart from a dog that does not react at all.  Excellent.

I think I remember that bit  :lol:

Apparently there's another, more faithful adaption of the original short story Who Goes There? on the way at some point. Should be interesting, as I remember it being quite different.

I've just noticed that the original was a cut down version of a full-length manuscript titled Frozen Hell that wasn't discovered until the author died! It got published a few years ago, so I'll be checking that out.

16 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Independence day on Disney plus.  I can't believe how good the picture quality is on it.  Looks like it was just filmed.  

It was filmed in 70mm Panavision so it's better quality than most of the stuff just filmed.

The new Matrix makes a point of highlighting the visual changes in movies.

Gunbus

1986 "comedy" about a pair of wisecracking wild west gunslingers who, through a pretty contrived series of events, end up as WW1 fighter pilots.

This could quite possibly be the worst fucking film that has ever been made. Terrible acting, shite dialogue and boring action sequences.

The only interesting parts were Nicholas Lyndhurst in a "I didn't know they were in that" moment and a pretty cool steampunk aesthetic on some of the aircraft.

Aside from that though, this was risible bollocks.

0/10

22 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:
On 05/01/2022 at 18:43, BigDoddyKane said:
I just spent nearly an hour on netflix and hbo max for a movie to watch tonight, any decent looking ones ive already seen

Wish we could get HBO Max here. TV library must be great, was wanting to see Oz again.

A lot of their catalogue will be on Now TV I imagine. It's maybe more diffused across all the services though.