What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 28/12/2021 at 20:03, Clown Job said:

The Matrix Resurrections

Honestly I thought it was pretty shite and the ending was very predictable. 

Don’t understand why they felt the need to make it apart from the cash obviously 

Agreed thought it was shite.

The Kings Man watched lasted night. Thought was decent. Better than the last one 

Home Alone, Home Alone 2.

The first is a bona fide classic. Some of the burglars mugging is a bit OTT for my sophisticated tastes but the big set piece finale of cartoon violence is hilarious. 9/10

I'd never seen the two so close together before and hadn't appreciated how much of a scene for scene remake it actually is. Substitute shop staff and pizza boy for hotel staff, creepy old man for creepy old lady, change some locations, done. The finale lacks panache and the taller one continually squeaking "harry" was getting on my tits. The bit where he repeatedly got bricked in the face was good though. Not bad exactly but not as good and quite pointless. 6/10, but minus one for giving Trump a cameo, 5/10.

Face/Off

Ridiculous nonsense but very entertaining. I enjoyed this at the time and it has been worth a repeat watch now and then. Now I'm no medical expert, but I suspect there are one or two essential elements of the plot which don't quite add up. Ignoring this though there are some great action scenes, with the speedboat chase at the end one of my favourite movie scenes from the 90s. 7.5/10

4 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:
On 29/12/2021 at 14:50, Mark Connolly said:
Inside Out is currently on BBC1.
Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

Bing Bong is about to sacrifice himself :bairn

Thankfully I missed that. Jesus.

There are 3 movie scenes that always have me (as per P&B vernacular) on the verge of tears.

Spoiler

The aforementioned spoiler, when the lads pick up the sled and start carrying it to the finish line in Cool Runnings, and when Paddington opens the door at the end of Paddington 2, to find Aunt Lucy standing there

Every fucking time. And I'm welling up thinking about them right now!

On 29/12/2021 at 22:52, Richey Edwards said:

The Untouchables. I had never seen it before.

Starring Sean Connery doing the same accent he does in all of his movies.

Sean Connery was one of many actors who never did accents regardless of who they were supposed to be.

"Name of the Rose" and "Highlander" would have been worse if he had tried.  You would have felt cheated.

Tommy Lee Jones, Michael Caine and James Mason are others.

Compare Tom Cruise not even trying to sound German in "Valkyrie" with his dreadful Irish accent on "Far and Away".

Class of 1984

Early 80s video nasty about a teacher in conflict with a gang of punk kids who are terrorising his school.

Plenty of gratuitous violence and nudity. There's a decent punk soundtrack. The bad guys don't appear particularly menacing though.

7/10

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Sean Connery was one of many actors who never did accents regardless of who they were supposed to be.

"Name of the Rose" and "Highlander" would have been worse if he had tried.  You would have felt cheated.

Tommy Lee Jones, Michael Caine and James Mason are others.

Compare Tom Cruise not even trying to sound German in "Valkyrie" with his dreadful Irish accent on "Far and Away".

Very much in favour of big-name actors using their regular accent if they can't (or can't be arsed to) learn a decent approximation of the real thing. Might be nice if studios cast people who can actually get into character, but that's another matter.

Something that really annoys me is when non-American actors are cast in roles that aren't explicitly US born and raised, but are either asked (or feel the need) to put on a dreadful cod-American voice. Liam Neeson's the first to spring to mind; the man has an accent that's perfectly acceptable and understandable to American audiences, yet regularly plays characters who speak like an Irishman in a bar taking the piss out of the Americans at the next table. Surely audiences don't prefer that?

Misery

Arguably the best Stephen King adaptation. Looks a bit dated now, but a masterclass in acting from Kathy Bates. She's childlike, normal and a monster at different times and convincing at them all. Thought James Caan did a good job too.

Misery
Arguably the best Stephen King adaptation. Looks a bit dated now, but a masterclass in acting from Kathy Bates. She's childlike, normal and a monster at different times and convincing at them all. Thought James Caan did a good job too.

Funnily enough, Stephen King said the film closest to his books was The Green Mile.

Though The Green Mile wasn't actually a novel.

Funnily enough, Stephen King said the film closest to his books was The Green Mile.

Though The Green Mile wasn't actually a novel.
I'd quibble there - although it was originally released in sections, it was undoubtedly a coherent novel when read in its entirety.
Shawshank and Stand by Me, on the other hand..

I'd quibble there - although it was originally released in sections, it was undoubtedly a coherent novel when read in its entirety.
Shawshank and Stand by Me, on the other hand..

I don't doubt that. But as you say, when it was released originally it wasn't as a novel.

10 hours ago, gmca said:

Misery

The Running Man is the best Stephen King adaptation.

I've never read the book though, so I've no idea how close it us to the film.

Shawshank Redemption is a great film not because it is close to the book but because it is a great adaption.

In the book, there are 3 wardens.  In the film, there is only 1 and it is better for it.

In the book, Boz gets beat up because Andy arranges it.  In the film, the warden is responsible and Andy comes across as a more sympathetic character.

In the book, Red is a red-headed Irish man.  While that might have worked, it is impossible to imagine anyone other than Morgan Freeman in the role.

I don't think a film has to stay true to a book.

Having said that, I did enjoy "Sherlock Holmes goes to Washington" with Basil Rathbone being based on "The Dancing Men" because of one "blink and you'll miss it" scene in the film.

Cruella - 8/10

Nothing on the TV last night so the wife put this on - it was nothing like I expected - I really enjoyed it.

Like a cross between The Devil Wears Prada and The Joker - visually stylish and fun and a great soundtrack. The best scenes (without giving the plot away) are when the 2 protagonists share the screen - Thompson and Stone are very good. Hauser is also excellent as minion Horace.

On 28/12/2021 at 17:31, NotThePars said:

Anyway, I saw The Matrix Resurrections and loved it. Neo is Lana Wachowski and Trinity is her love of creating held hostage by the corporate machine. The love for this will depend entirely on how much someone loves incredibly on the nose meta commentary but the targets for criticism are all deserving. It's funny that Ben Shapino hates it given Neil Patrick Harris quotes him at length.

I hear ye. Thought it knew exactly what it was doing and still remained enjoyable. 

Rounded it off nicely, hope that's it all over though 

3 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

Much like The Shining, the book pishes all over the film adaption of The Running Man. Totally different tone. There was an announcement that someone was working on a new adaption recently, although (as always has to be said) they'll never get away with the same ending now.

Arnie's film is fun, though.

31 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Much like The Shining, the book pishes all over the film adaption of The Running Man. Totally different tone. There was an announcement that someone was working on a new adaption recently, although (as always has to be said) they'll never get away with the same ending now.

Arnie's film is fun, though.

I've never read The Shining either. The film is great but I do think that Nicholson over eggs the pudding slightly. 

His best role is in The Last Detail, where he's menacing and slightly deranged but in a more subtle and less OTT manner.

9 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

I've never read The Shining either. The film is great but I do think that Nicholson over eggs the pudding slightly. 

His best role is in The Last Detail, where he's menacing and slightly deranged but in a more subtle and less OTT manner.

That was one of King's major problems with the film, IIRC. His story was about a man with weaknesses who's driven to madness by external forces. In the film, when the character walks into the Overlook he's clearly already batshit because, well, it's Jack Nicolson, FFS!

5 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

Pedant alert

The Running Man was a Richard Bachman effort by King. Agree it was a very entertaining film.