What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 14/11/2021 at 18:58, velo army said:

Just watched No Time to Die at the pictures and I have a few opinions on it.

Phoebe Waller Bridge needs to be nowhere near a Bond film. The dialogue in the scenes she wrote (you can tell where the re-shoots and re-writes happened) were characterised by goofy and neurotic "humour" that bordered on shite parody. I genuinely can't stand that type of humour. Awful stuff. The baddie in it is utter rubbish (because he's poorly written, and despite a game turn by Rami Malek) and the pre credits sequence is insipid and largely forgettable. The action scenes are excellent, and the relationship between him and the new 00 has real promise. They actually have good chemistry together and I'd have liked that to have been given greater prominence. Lashana Lynch has a whole lot of charisma and she and Craig spark off of each other well. The Phoebe Waller Bridgeness of some of Lynch's scenes can be quite jarring. There's a scene where Bond gets a 00 code and she asks "00 what?" a couple of times in a meeting that just make her look like an insecure wee lassie. This would be fine for one of those shitey modern comedies like Brooklyn 99 or somesuch, but here it undermines her as a character. 

The script at times is utter dung and the treatment of legacy characters is baffling. Blofeld and Leiter deserve better. Actually, Blofeld deserved better than Spectre too, but that's for another rant.

Ana De Armas was great too. I liked that she was in it for only one mission as that felt quite grounded in reality. The opening scene of hers is clearly PWB's doing as she's goofy and childish, before suddenly reverting to highly capable spy. That felt a little unnatural. But she's tremendous on screen.

Overall it had good emotional punch in places, but I thought that it was all a bit of a mess. There were quite obvious re-shoots after backlash from the fanbase after the last trailer, and the new scenes were spliced in. It left it all feeling a bit disjointed. One of the scenes (an interrogation between Bond and Blofeld) has some of the worst dialogue I've seen in a movie. Shocking. 

Just been to see NTTD and I would pretty much agree with all of this.

That said I thought it was a hugely enjoyable romp as a piece of cinematic escapism after a couple of years away for me.

Ghostbusters Afterlife. 

It was very good, much needed after that horror show of a reboot a few years back. A fairly direct sequel to the 1984 movie. 

Good characters, good story. Genuine scary bits and quite a few laughs (the wee marshmallow men had my kids in stitches).

Two drawbacks for me....

Spoiler

Paul Rudd not there at the film's climax. Having been a major character all the way through, it felt he had been shunted aside at the finish. 

And the cameos. For me, great as it was to see these guys, they jumped in right at the part of the movie it was all building up to. It was quite disjointed, leading all the way to this big finish and then having these chaps show up and be all sentimental. For me, it would have been better to have them in it earlier and leave the finale of the movie to the main cast.

14 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Just been to see NTTD and I would pretty much agree with all of this.

That said I thought it was a hugely enjoyable romp as a piece of cinematic escapism after a couple of years away for me.

For all of my complaining I did enjoy it too. The cinematography was lovely and the action scenes (especially the one in the forest) were tremendous.

On 23/11/2021 at 23:51, NotThePars said:

It's the conditions in which movies are created which is the issue. Good movies are still made but the landscape feels more narrow and homogenised than it did at any other point in recent history. Whether that's the MCU's corrosive effect on cinema, Disney's general hoovering up of everything they can, the budgets for movies getting ludicrous or the viewing habits who knows. There's probably dozens more reasons you could point to. 

Personally I blame Cinemasins.

I say "ding!" in my head whenever I see one. The internet was a mistake.

On 23/11/2021 at 16:03, Miguel Sanchez said:

Watched Mad Max for the first time last night. I can see why it's so popular. I never got used to seeing Mel Gibson look so young.

It's a classic. Mad Max 2 is better imo. One of the few sequels better than the original.

Kansas City - A Robert Altman film set in the 30s with Jennifer Jason Leigh kidnapping Miranda Richardson against the backdrop of a crooked election day and an extravagant party in a Jazz speakeasy owned by Harry Belafonte. A good fun movie with great performances.

Moonrise Kingdom - Rewatched this after seeing French Dispatch and the Anderson chat here. It's still very enjoyable and i noticed loads of visual references to the Kubrick Paedo trilogy which went over my head previously. 

A Boy Called Christmas. Sky Original Christmas film - tedious, saccharine shite. Felt as though it had been written as a school project with a clumsily-written script and wooden acting. Lots of big names but they're absolutely dialling it in.

And what's intended as the big twist is obvious after about 5 minutes (but maybe I'm reading too much into a kids' film).

Anyway, bah humbug. [emoji3167]‍[emoji319]

Ghostbusters: Afterlife
"An ode to Ghostbusters 1984."
6.5/10

It was a nice way to reboot the franchise rather than just pretend the other movies didn't happen like Marvel/DC constantly and messily do.

I'd rank the films thusly -
1. Ghostbusters (1984)
*gap*
2. Ghostbusters 2 / Ghostbusters (2016)
3. Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Spoiler

It needed more ghosts IMVHO. There's like 6 ghosts.

14 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Ghostbusters: Afterlife
"An ode to Ghostbusters 1984."
6.5/10

It was a nice way to reboot the franchise rather than just pretend the other movies didn't happen like Marvel/DC constantly and messily do.

I'd rank the films thusly -
1. Ghostbusters (1984)
*gap*
2. Ghostbusters 2 / Ghostbusters (2016)
3. Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Reveal hidden contents

It needed more ghosts IMVHO. There's like 6 ghosts.

I would agree but I did like Lady Ghostbusters. 
Have never understood the broad dislike for Ghostbusters 2. Have always thoroughly enjoyed it.

On 02/12/2021 at 20:37, Archie McSquackle said:

A Boy Called Christmas. Sky Original Christmas film - tedious, saccharine shite. Felt as though it had been written as a school project with a clumsily-written script and wooden acting. Lots of big names but they're absolutely dialling it in.

And what's intended as the big twist is obvious after about 5 minutes (but maybe I'm reading too much into a kids' film).

Anyway, bah humbug. emoji3167.pngemoji319.png

I could tell by the trailer. Sky are getting like the BBC with their lazy shite.

Denis Villeneuve's Prisoners (I dunno like 2010-odd) 

Sensational stuff. One of the best thrillers I've ever seen, Villeneuve manages to handle tone so well. As so often with his films even while in a realistic setting he manages to convey a sense of a world where something is just a bit off. Dano Gyllenhal and Jackman on top form. Bit long but just about earns it