What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Boss baby 2
Was ok. Seemed to expect the audience to remember bits of the first one, which wasn't memorable enough for that. Didn't really make a lot of sense on its own terms, but it was stupid and pacy enough for basic entertainment. 
5/10

Did he fire anyone?...

Light Sleeper (1992)

Still in the Schrader zone. Willem Defoe is a coke dealer working for Susan Sarandon and in classic movie style just when they are about to go straight something terrible happens. Like most Schrader movies it's about loner who wants to change his life but doesn't know how but unlike the better ones it's got aspirations of being a mainstream hit so it's not visually interesting enough to make up for emptiness of the main character.

On Dune as TV show I don't think it would work as TV shows either need to have likeable characters or be funny. Dune as far as I can tell is completely humourless so you would end up with something as rubbish as the final few episodes of GoT.

10 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Other than being an adaptation of a novel that was published in 1965, 12 years before Star Wars was released?

It was a poor adaptation. It's probably proof that if anybody is going to do a proper Dune adaptation then it has to be a large scale TV series over a number of seasons.

For folk who havent read the book(s) then its understandable that they were confused. For those who have, its understandable that people are disappointed that it was done so poorly.

I've read the novel, it's good!

Went to see Halloween Kills on Friday night with my son, his choice and easily one of the worst films I have ever seen, fucking dreadful predictable cliched nonsense 

The ending where Michael Myers gets shot five times in the chest, gets a garden rake through his spine and a boning knife through the neck then, a minute later gets up, right as rain and just starts volleying c***s sums up the absurdity of it all.

Venom: Let There Be Carnage (cinema): the titular anti-hero battles against another symbiote attached to a serial killer.

Been a while since I saw the original, but I remember it being a fairly mediocre CGI action film that became enjoyable because the title character was quite amusing. I'm not sure if that aspect has worn off on me, or if this was just a poorer film, but I really didn't get much out of it. You could sum up the full script in a paragraph, the dialogue ranges from meh to cringe-inducing (including an embarrassing title drop), there's masses of destructive CG action, and there's a distinct absence of risk involved in any of it.

Woody Harrelson and Naomie Harris are good value with what they're given, but it's all just very much...there, and it's the most average, middle-of-the-road, mediocre Hollywood effects movie that I've seen in a while. If you're going to see it, definitely do so in the cinema, as I'd guess that it would bore the tits off you without the big-screen FX to distract.

American Psycho (finally) 2/10.
Maybe I just didn’t get it, or maybe it’s the memories of dealing with yuppie cnuts like them, but was just unfulfilling.

Beautiful Boy 10/10.
Amazing portrayal of addiction and the effect it has in those around the addict. Although my addiction is/was “only” alcohol I can understand the grip it can take. I’ve also met many addicts in my times in treatment and recognized an awful lot of them in this film. I genuinely cried a couple of times, especially thinking about what I’ve done to some of those around me.

American Psycho (aka P&B: The Movie) is hilarious. Might make my top 10 films, depending on my mood.

I knew someone who thought the film was shit because they "toned down" the book, which made think they'd got something very different out of it than I did. I'm a gorehound, but I'd no interest in seeing some of that stuff replicated on the big screen.

I don't think Bret Easton Ellis liked the film much either, but authors never seem to.

Edit: I'd also recommend Roger Avary's adaption of The Rules of Attraction, which is a more engaging experience than the book, has a similar theme, and almost ended up with a Patrick Bateman cameo. Might need to watch that again; it's been a while. Believe it or not, this lad was in it and was excellent.

1490965257-giphy-37.gif

Edited by BFTD

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

American Psycho (aka P&B: The Movie) is hilarious. Might make my top 10 films, depending on my mood.

I knew someone who thought the film was shit because they "toned down" the book, which made think they'd got something very different out of it than I did. I'm a gorehound, but I'd no interest in seeing some of that stuff replicated on the big screen.

I don't think Bret Easton Ellis liked the film much either, but authors never seem to.

Edit: I'd also recommend Roger Avary's adaption of The Rules of Attraction, which is a more engaging experience than the book, has a similar theme, and almost ended up with a Patrick Bateman cameo. Might need to watch that again; it's been a while. Believe it or not, this lad was in it and was excellent.

1490965257-giphy-37.gif

Aye I knew someone who thought the same and I just couldn't agree. Norm MacDonald was right about Ellis and the adaptation was far better.

46 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Aye I knew someone who thought the same and I just couldn't agree. Norm MacDonald was right about Ellis and the adaptation was far better.

I hadn't heard about their spat; tremendous stuff  :lol:

Screen-Shot-2021-09-15-at-8.28.56-AM-768

Eighth Grade (2018)

Elsie Fisher plays awkward teenager Kayla who is in her final week at middle school. She gives an utterly convincing portrayal as she tries to fit in with the crowd and how social media plays such a big part in her efforts to be liked. Very funny, sad and at times cringey this is a film I enjoyed a lot.

8/10

Thinking Alice Munro is the greatest living writer is surely only possible if you are a rich, white Canadian. 

McDonald seemed like quite a conservative guy so it's not really a shock he didn't like BEE. Ellis has written three brilliant novels and clearly has a gift for identifying cultural trends and their impact. 

Edited by Detournement

22 hours ago, BFTD said:

1490965257-giphy-37.gif

The main reason to rewatch it is....

download (1).jpeg

I watched it with my mum once which wasn't at all awkward.....

Edited by Detournement

Aye, there was a time when Shannyn Sossaman's presence was enough to make me see a film. Not even she could save Sinister 2, though. Apparently acting's just a sideline and her main line of work was DJing.

That RoA backpacking scene was filmed by handing the actor a camera and telling him, "go get wasted in Europe for a month, then bring us back footage". Tremendous stuff for essentially a single-scene character, with a terrific payoff afterwards.

Francis Ford Coppola’s ‘The Rainmaker’ 1997 starring Matt Damon & Danny De Vito.
Wouldn’t say I’m much of a film buff, but have enjoyed a number of Matt Damon’s films, so a little ashamed to say that I’d never heard of this film before.
Stumbled across it on Ch5 whilst Chanel hopping a wee while back, so recorded it, where it’s just sat unwatched for months. Thought I’d give it a go and really enjoyed it.
Based on the John Grisham novel, a raw recruit Lawyer takes on a Medical Insurance Company who refuse to pay out for the treatment of a terminally ill young patient. Brief appearance from Mickey Rourke too as an unscrupulous ambulance chaser. Well worth a watch 8/10.

Justice League (2017).

Like an Avengers movie but without any of the fun. The first half hour was Bruce Wayne trying to get the gang together to fight some demon looking for his lost Lego blocks. Then the fights that were alright. I just found the whole thing a bit po-faced. I never bought into the baddie the way I had with Thanos for example. Steppenwolf was bad just because he was bad.