What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Shang-Chi: The Lord of the Rings (cinema) - a young Chinese lad must face his family demons when his father sends an army of ninjas to bring him home.

Yeah, this was good. Nothing extraordinary story-wise, and you'll be able to work out how the plot will be resolved for all the main characters early on, but there's plenty of Hong Kong style martial arts action, eye-popping set pieces, and CGI to coo over. We're back to the first round of introductory films for new Marvel characters, and this is probably better than most of the debuts for the old established heroes. Plus, a few cameos from characters that you might have expected to never see in a Marvel film again, which was nice.

It's also better than the trailers would lead you to believe, if anyone was feeling a bit apathetic by their blandness. Worth seeing; looking forward to the characters popping up again in later films.

On 30/12/2019 at 11:16, LondonHMFC said:

The Keeper: 

Really enjoyed this, knew the story of Bert Trautmann breaking his neck in the FA Cup Final and playing on, however didn't quite realise his own personal history.  

Whilst football takes a centre stage throughout, there is more than enough going on to keep those interested who don't care for it. 

9/10 

Watched it last night on BBC2, excellent film, as good a representation of football in the post war years as I've seen.

It's now on the iplayer for the next few months.

Villains (2019)

Feels like the plot of a shite horror repurposed to be an attempted cult teen movie, not wholly unsuccessfully. 

Enjoyable but silly. Enjoyed the baddies. 6/10.

War Dogs (2016)

Fly by night arms dealing caper. 

Like a much less fun wolf of wall street. As blunt as an oliver stone film and not as much fun or as satirical as it seemed to think it was. 5/10

Shang Li + etc... 

Top notch supernatural action with a bit of comedy from marvel.

Worth seeing in the pictures i reckon. 8/10

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Thief - Michael Mann 

Mann's first movie with James Cann playing a hard as nails safe cracker who is looking for one big score before getting out. Top drawer like every other Michael Mann film.

thats a great movie, underated 

the scene when he sits back and just looks at the safe after hes opened it is class

State of grace - Sean Penn, Gary Oldman, Ed Harris i really like this movie. Came out same year as goodfellas and was overshadowed by that. The score is by ennio morricone. Some say oldmans performance is over the top but i think its perfect, the westies were an over the top story, i thought at times oldman was like jimmy cagney ‘the  “stevie never hurt nobody” scene could of been jimmy cagney saying those lines

grear movie, great actors and soundtrack 

Thief - Michael Mann 
Mann's first movie with James Cann playing a hard as nails safe cracker who is looking for one big score before getting out. Top drawer like every other Michael Mann film.

Is that the one with Tangerine Dream doing the soundtrack?

16 hours ago, jimmy boo said:
20 hours ago, Detournement said:
Thief - Michael Mann 

Is that the one with Tangerine Dream doing the soundtrack?

Aye it is. Mann always delivers a great soundtrack. Last of The Mohicans and Heat are all time great scores as well.

Dune - It's easy to see why this was considered a turkey as I found it difficult to follow despite having a rough idea of the plot of the Dune series and loving David Lynch. f**k knows what an average cinema goer in 1984 would have made of it. The plot is the basic hero quest with daft complications about worms and spice drugs but all the grotesque Lynch touches and the set design make it a good watch. The big fat Baron flying around and generally being disgusting was the highlight.

Aye it is. Mann always delivers a great soundtrack. Last of The Mohicans and Heat are all time great scores as well.
Dune - It's easy to see why this was considered a turkey as I found it difficult to follow despite having a rough idea of the plot of the Dune series and loving David Lynch. f**k knows what an average cinema goer in 1984 would have made of it. The plot is the basic hero quest with daft complications about worms and spice drugs but all the grotesque Lynch touches and the set design make it a good watch. The big fat Baron flying around and generally being disgusting was the highlight.
I've had the soundtrack on vinyl for decades so I should probably make a point of watching the film.

Watched the Ocean's Trilogy in consecutive nights and I have to say 11 and 13 were decent, 11 was the best out of the three.  12 was pretty boring.  Moving the story away from Vegas was a bad move IMO.

On 08/09/2021 at 08:47, Shandon Par said:

Betty Blue

A nice film about painting and decorating that turns a bit dark when someone pulls their eye out.

10/10

Sent an uptight and very Christian relative the soundtrack for that, which I thought was beautifully simple, not realising that the opening scene of fairly hardcore sexual grunting wasn't edited out. Loved the film, must be 30 years ago now.

Enemy - This is the third time i've watched this and I've pretty much given up trying to make it fit any single explanation, the problem of the doubles is unresolvable but extremely interesting. There are quite a lot of theories online that it's about a descent into totalitarianism and the way it's filmed with exclusively modernist/brutalist buildings and empty public spaces does give off that impression.

Spoiler

The first time I watched this was at my parents and about halfway through my Dad strolled into the living room and announced "I've seen this it turns out his girlfriend is a spider" then started reading the paper. I gave him a sceptical "Aye, ok", made a mental note to look into old folks homes and continued watching. When the final scene happened I got a "Told you, load of nonsense" from him and I think was more shocked than I would have been if he didn't give away the final scene. I didn't ask what inspired him to watch the entire movie (and not fall asleep) but i'm guessing it was the nudity at the beginning.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Sent an uptight and very Christian relative the soundtrack for that, which I thought was beautifully simple, not realising that the opening scene of fairly hardcore sexual grunting wasn't edited out. Loved the film, must be 30 years ago now.

Yeah, it’s a bit older than that, maybe 35? Saw it as a kid and only really paid attention to Beatrice Dalle wearing not much but it’s a really top film.

She once broke into a mortuary whilst on an acid-fuelled bender and ate the ear off a corpse.

I know in the current landscape there’s no chance of them doing the Baron justice given Herbert basically writes him as a monstrously fat gay paedophile