What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Free Guy (cinema) - a video game MMO character (Ryan Reynolds) achieves sentience and falls for one of the game's real-world player avatars.

This is a plot conceit that's in danger of becoming a cliche now, but it's still a fun, humorous action flick that won't tax too many brain cells, although there's slightly more to it than my summary. There's also a nice heel performance from Taika Waititi, and some surprisingly knowing satire on the video games industry, but it obviously still has plenty of "THIS IS NOT HOW COMPUTERS WORK" moments for the IT professionals. Your potential enjoyment can definitely be gauged by how much you've enjoyed Reynolds' prior films, as it's very much in line with his other arch, self-aware work.

I'd still have preferred a Mogworld movie, but WOW is pretty old-hat now, I suppose.

@BFTD we share last two movies seen. I loved Candyman. The original never meant that much to me but this revisit was far better than I expected. Beautifully shot and enough social commentary to make it worth a second look. 

Free Guy bored me a bit until the last fifteen minutes, which I found to be enormous fun and made it just about worthwhile. I may have just been in a bad mood but Reynolds was reminding me too much of Will Ferrell and whole thing looked like it was borrowing heavily from the Lego Movie. 

Saw trailers for Last Night in Soho and Halloween Kills tonight, both of which I’m pretty excited about seeing. 

Edited by MSU

7 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Watched cool hand luke this evenng, probably seen it 5 times, last time maybe 15-20 years ago and it still hits the mark. Just a great movie, story, actors, acting and cinematography. Paul Newman at his best. 

i only planned watching the first 15 minutes but was just hooked again by it. The ending always makes me feel like i get what its about but to be honest i couldnt explain what its really about as im not even sure.

very few movies i would give a 10 for but this is one

Saw Cool Hand Luke in the theater on its original run. Terrific movie (Paul Newman is my favorite actor). Of course as I was only 10 at the time, I had no inkling of Luke as a Christ-figure and didn't fully grasp the anti-authoritarianism that won his disciples. But it was still cool. 

I have movies I can't help but get involved in too. Like every time The Best Years of Our Lives is on I think "I'm just going to watch until..." but then I end up getting involved and have to watch it till the end.

The Death of Stalin (2017) dir. Armando Ianucci

Rewatched this the other night as a mate hadn't seen it. Superb movie. Taking the petty weak people backstabbing each other in politics template of The Thick of It and substantially raising the stakes from "losing your job" to "losing your life" is a perfect move. I love this and it has some superb performances from Jason Isaacs, Rupert Friend and Simon Russell Beale. Paul Whitehouse, Paul Chihidi and Michael Palin are also on good form.

Edited by NotThePars

Missus got a cinema voucher, a small one screen place down the road that I never knew existed.

She thought it'd be fun to watch an older film on the big screen, something from the 90s. Fair enough, beer and popcorn too with money left over to spend next time.

Film turned out to be Showgirls. About a prostitute who goes to Vegas looking to make some cash but without fucking for it. Becomes a stripper.

I've never watched a film where I've hated absolutely everyone in the film. I've seen far worse films, but never hated everyone in one until this. Throw in a needless and sick inducing rape scene and this wasn't much fun despite all the boobs on show.

22 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I know some of them are better than others, but did Paul Newman ever make a bad film?

The afore mentioned "better than" ones are generally 9 or 10/10s

I used to say the exact same about Gene Hackman, until I saw The Chamber.

I was never a big fan of Cars.

Went to see candyman and I had very mixed feelings about it.

I thought the film as a stand alone film would have been absolutely great with a cracking story and hard hitting messages. As an “old school slasher fan” however I don’t watch horrors other than to try switch off and enjoy them.

I didn’t like that candyman went from Tony Todd’s character who was full of charisma and had a weird charm to a character who never said a word and was pretty bland. Anyone who liked the originals will hopefully know what I mean about the difference. 

It’s now the case of multiple “candymen” each a victim to racial violence and whilst I understand the importance of that message and it did hit home hard. I would have preferred it if they then showed various versions of the legend throughout the film and told us their stories rather than just focusing on the one. 

I get it’s all relevant subjects such as police brutality and gentrification i just don’t see the film being a horror in the same way the originals were. 

I know it won’t be a popular view but that’s my take 

11 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

7 years late to the party, but I watched Interstellar the other night.  Fantastic film and I'm just disappointed that I didn't get to see it at an IMAX.

10/10

My 3rd favourite film. Couldn't put a number on the amount of times I've watched it and it never disappoints. The score is the best part of the film imo.

On 29/08/2021 at 17:38, Mark Connolly said:

I know some of them are better than others, but did Paul Newman ever make a bad film?

The afore mentioned "better than" ones are generally 9 or 10/10s

Newman is a fully verified and certified shagger.  His pasta sauces are top quality as well. I've not seen them for a while though. Do you still get them?

21 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

My 3rd favourite film. Couldn't put a number on the amount of times I've watched it and it never disappoints. The score is the best part of the film imo.

What's your first and second favourites?

Edited by Paul Kersey

Wonder Woman 1984

3/10

This genuinely is an absolute mess of a film. Gadot is it's only saving grace.

The character of Maxwell Lord is neither threatening enough to be a memorable villain nor interesting enough for you to like him. He’s just annoying the whole time he’s on the screen.

The film takes itself way too seriously with some of the preachy lines just utterly cheesy cringe.

Another DC fuckup - even worse than Birds of Prey but not quite Green Lantern territory.

9 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Wonder Woman 1984

3/10

This genuinely is an absolute mess of a film. Gadot is it's only saving grace.

The character of Maxwell Lord is neither threatening enough to be a memorable villain nor interesting enough for you to like him. He’s just annoying the whole time he’s on the screen.

The film takes itself way too seriously with some of the preachy lines just utterly cheesy cringe.

Another DC fuckup - even worse than Birds of Prey but not quite Green Lantern territory.

I started this last night. Then gave up. 
you’re right, it’s shite