What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

High-rise (2016)
Tom Hiddleston in a a dystopian 1970s tower block. Something sinister seems to be going on. Or he might be going nuts. Or maybe both. 
Good looking film with lots of good bits, memorable scenes but not a lot of memorable dialogue. There's an obvious metaphor which is way overcooked. 
Starts off really well but the middle part is a complete muddle. Starts making sense for the end but the damage was done. 
Had the components to be much better, 5/10.

Assume you’ve read but the book is terrific

7 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Assume you’ve read but the book is terrific

I love Ballard, but he didn't half stretch credulity. What was the one where the boy gets stuck on the roundabout?

Still got plenty of his stuff to work through before I cark it, but Empire of the Sun's surely still my favourite. Probably one of his more extraordinary stories and it's semi-autobiographical.

9 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I love Ballard, but he didn't half stretch credulity. What was the one where the boy gets stuck on the roundabout?

Still got plenty of his stuff to work through before I cark it, but Empire of the Sun's surely still my favourite. Probably one of his more extraordinary stories and it's semi-autobiographical.

I only got halfway through that. High Rise is tremendous just a really enjoyable novel.

Watched Raiders of the Lost Ark again a couple of nights ago on Showtime. Still enthralling 40 years and quite a few viewings later. Flew by in no time.

The last new movie I watched was The Suicide Squad. Not that familiar with most of the characters, but I found it highly entertaining. Much better than the first effort or The Joker.

Out Of My League

Supposed charming Italian romcom about a lassie with a supposedly terminal illness who is hell-bent on finding love before she croaks. 

It's the familiar trope of "ugly dates beautiful" while she obviously isn't ugly, although the script tells us that she is, creating a disconnect. What she is however is manipulative and narcissistic. The way that she gets the guy (a beautiful and ultimately good hearted guy who is unhappy in his supposedly perfect life. The only interesting character in the whole thing) is dreadful. Basically stalks him, stealing the phone of a man who fancies her (a "loser" who is painted with broad strokes and about whom we find out nothing) and using it to look at photos of her quarry, before dropping the phone in the toilet and flushing it away.

So aye, it's hard to support her after that. The man she stalks confronts her and agrees to go out with her. There is chemistry between the two characters, but it's platonic. 

I could go on but ultimately my problem with this movie was the main character and the fact that she's ill supposedly excuses all her shitty behaviour. We even get the guy apologising to her after the first date, despite her reaction to it (being invited to a family dinner) being wildly over the top and egocentric.

The cinematography and music try and get you to think you're watching Amelie, but imagine Amelie as a selfish, entitled nasty arsehole who performs no acts of friendship or kindness for others.

Aye, I got irked at this film.

Out Of My League
Supposed charming Italian romcom about a lassie with a supposedly terminal illness who is hell-bent on finding love before she croaks. 
It's the familiar trope of "ugly dates beautiful" while she obviously isn't ugly, although the script tells us that she is, creating a disconnect. What she is however is manipulative and narcissistic. The way that she gets the guy (a beautiful and ultimately good hearted guy who is unhappy in his supposedly perfect life. The only interesting character in the whole thing) is dreadful. Basically stalks him, stealing the phone of a man who fancies her (a "loser" who is painted with broad strokes and about whom we find out nothing) and using it to look at photos of her quarry, before dropping the phone in the toilet and flushing it away.
So aye, it's hard to support her after that. The man she stalks confronts her and agrees to go out with her. There is chemistry between the two characters, but it's platonic. 
I could go on but ultimately my problem with this movie was the main character and the fact that she's ill supposedly excuses all her shitty behaviour. We even get the guy apologising to her after the first date, despite her reaction to it (being invited to a family dinner) being wildly over the top and egocentric.
The cinematography and music try and get you to think you're watching Amelie, but imagine Amelie as a selfish, entitled nasty arsehole who performs no acts of friendship or kindness for others.
Aye, I got irked at this film.

Not to be confused with She's Out Of My League, which is exactly a very funny comedy with Alice Eve. Currently on Netflix.

I cannot stand John Cena.
He’s everything wrong with the world folded up into a smug piece of fucking shit.
He does a lot with that make a wish foundation. Think he's actually done more wishes than anyone so not a total piece of shit. Thought he was pretty good in Suicide Squad too

Nocturnal animals. I had read the book Tony and Susan few years before movie came out and I thought book was great.

The movie was different to how I imagined the book but that was why it worked I think as it had created its own feel but still exact same story. 

Really well filmed too. Great acting. 

Watched Edward Scissorhands yesterday. Had a tear in my eye at the end. I suppose I liked it.
I watched it for the first time recently with my daughter. My wife refused to watched it as she said she watched it years ago and it was rubbish so we waited until she had a night out. We both really enjoyed it, had a few good laughs and yes, someone must have been chopping onions nearby at the end.

Candyman (cinema) - the forgotten boogeyman from the original film returns after an artist discovers the myth in the projects of his youth.

I was expecting this to be a reboot, but it's one of the rare sequels that seems to exist because someone had an actual idea for following up the original, rather than just to make a bit of cash. It's quite politically motivated, tying nicely in to concerns about gentrification and state/police brutality, and I thought it was really well done and a very worthwhile endeavour, expanding well on the themes. There will absolutely be people who are unhappy about the portrayal of life for poor African-Americans, especially by the ending, but frankly, they can get fucked.

BigFatTabbyBoy was stunned and absolutely loved it. Looking forward to showing him the original now and maybe tracking down the sequels (although I always presumed they'd be pish).

Watched cool hand luke this evenng, probably seen it 5 times, last time maybe 15-20 years ago and it still hits the mark. Just a great movie, story, actors, acting and cinematography. Paul Newman at his best. 

i only planned watching the first 15 minutes but was just hooked again by it. The ending always makes me feel like i get what its about but to be honest i couldnt explain what its really about as im not even sure.

very few movies i would give a 10 for but this is one