What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

16 hours ago, ilostmyself said:

Black Widow - 7.5/10

Saw this in the cinema (first time there since the pandemic) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

ScarJo is great as the lead but the film seems to focus as much on the other characters rather than giving her the centre.

Florence Pugh absolutely steals the show and Ray Winstone is horribly miscast as some sort of cockney Russian.

Dynamics between the characters and action sequences much better than the actual plot which seemed a bit flimsy.

I watched this on Wednesday and was really disappointed. The first 20 minutes were a lot of running and fighting without explaining who anybody was, or why they were running and fighting. The plot was wafer thin but did develop a bit. You know it's not great when I ended up talking with the kids most of the way through it.

Would love to see a David Harbour Red Guardian movie though.

ScarJo was watchable as always.

Spoiler

tenor.gif

Saw The Forever Purge last week with the wean, who's a big fan of the series. I missed The First Purge and the TV show, so thought I might be a bit out of the loop, but I was pretty much caught up after the brief opening montage.
Thought it was the best one of the series. Shit really hits the fan, and it updates the blunt satire of American society to the Trump era. Also some nice subversion of immigration-related rhetoric that will no doubt have some no-righters absolutely steaming at the very thought.

Having watched the first four the other day for the second time The First Purge is far and away the best one. It’s worth watching for the scenes in the tower block alone which are brilliantly filmed and feel like they’re directly commenting on how ridiculous it was that the family in the first one acted like they weren’t on their home turf.

I’ve wrote a near essay on all the movies that I won’t unleash on anyone.

Out Of Sight - An enjoyable jail break movie with George Clooney as a bank robber and J-Lo as an FBI agent. I was extremely hung over when I watched and it did the job. Loads of great 90s character actors like Steve Zahn, Ving Rhames, Don Cheadle, Dennis Farina, Luis Guzman and Katherine Keener. It's gets the crime, comedy and romance mix spot on.

Reality Bites - I've seen this a few times before but the two outstanding things are how hot Winona Ryder was and how much of a dick Ethan Hawke's character was despite being the male lead. It's feels spot on with the clash between the slacker characters smoking all the time and hanging out and Ben Stiller's 90s version of yuppie who has a mobile phone and makes a TV show very much like Friends. Early 90s vs Late 90s.

Marnie - Sean Connery and Hitckcock team up and the result is inevitably one of the most misogynistic movies ever. Tippi Hedren and Diane Baker both look glorious. It starts off fairly normal by Hitchcock's standards then takes a sharp left into insanity. Hedren is absolutely brilliant in what was apparently a difficult role for her.

Mishima A Life In Four Chapters - Paul Schrader's film about the Japanese writer Yukio Mishima. All four chapters are shot in different styles. Three of them are from Mishima's novels and the fourth is a dramatisation of his infamous attempt at launching a right wing coup ending in Seppuku. Schrader seems completely insane these days but this is absolutely brilliant and one of the most visually interesting movies i've ever seen. 

Edited by Detournement

The Purge (2013) dir. James DeMonaco

Home Invaderge. Bad understanding of their own house aside this is maybe DeMonaco’s best attempt at realising the themes of the concept even if it is a bit by the numbers.

The Purge: Anarchy (2014) dir. James DeMonaco

The Punisherge. Drops the ball quite a bit but Michael K. Williams as Carmelo Johns is the best character in the whole series. Superb and it’s a shame they didn’t get him back for the next one. Frank Grillo is also pretty good. Lots of superfluous and annoying characters though.

The Purge: Election Year (2016) dir. James DeMonaco

I’m with Herge. The worst one. DeMonaco got overtaken by events (Trump) and felt he had to offer a solution which was limp dicked electoralism that not even Elizabeth Mitchell can make sound inspiring. Mykelti Williamson and Betty Gabriel are superb though as always.

The First Purge (2018) dir. Gerard McMurray

The Blurge. The best one by a distance. Enjoyed it more when most normal people just used the no law thing to get steaming at a block party before the government starts sending the cops, white nationalists and mercs in. Said it already but the whole scene in the tower block near the end is superb well shot action. I could watch that whole section with Dimitri going Die Hard on fascists over and over again.

Watched Superbad for the first time last week. Fairly standard teen movie in the end, but lots of stuff was really well written and acted.

I genuinely thought that it was going to go somewhere a bit interesting and mental during the second act but it went back on piste. 

Spoiler

I'm always disappointed when the ugly unpopular kid pulls a stunner. I know it's wish-fulfilment for the target audience but i can't help thinking it sets unrealistic expectations and will lead to inevitable crushing disappointment when the looker you' ve been chatting up not only won't go out with you but gets her 25 year old boyfriend to batter you. Much better if the likes of Jonah Hill or Will of the inbetweeners learned to take a knockback and recalibrate their standards. 

The Long Goodbye

It's a Raymond Chandler adaptation but instead of Phillip Marlowe being a tough guy in the 1940s he is played by Elliot Gould and it's set in1972. The Los Angeles locations are amazing and the complicated plot takes a back seat to the general atmosphere of sleaze and corruption. 

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

The Long Goodbye

It's a Raymond Chandler adaptation but instead of Phillip Marlowe being a tough guy in the 1940s he is played by Elliot Gould and it's set in1972. The Los Angeles locations are amazing and the complicated plot takes a back seat to the general atmosphere of sleaze and corruption. 

Classic film. I've always wanted to live in his hoose.

Its called The High Tower.

9 hours ago, Detournement said:

The Long Goodbye

Thats a great movie

Having a Mads Mikkelsen week.........

Another Round.....MM is a school teacher who, along with 3 colleagues, embarks on an experiment to confirm that they can perform better and lead more fulfilling lives if they drink alcohol from first thing until 8pm each night. Doesn't quite work out as planned and a good laugh..........7/10.

The Hunt.........MM works in a kiddies nursery having lost his job as a teacher when a school closed. Accused by a 5 year old of inappropriate behaviour which gathers momentum and leads to his life lying in ruins. Outstanding performances all round.........8/10.

Riders Of Justice........MM serving with the army in Afghanistan when his wife is killed in a train crash back home in Denmark. Once home, he is approached by 3 weirdo geeks, one of whom was on the train, who convince him it was no accident but the result of a feud between biker gangs. MM sets out on a course of revenge fueled by their convincing arguements. The 3 geeks are fucking hilarious and it veers between them and MM dealing with his demons not in a funny way at all. One scene in particular near the end where he loses it is incredible.........8/10.

All 3 in Danish with subtitles but worth the effort.