What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Falling Down

Michael Douglas has a bad hair day. 

This is one of my favourites. I've watched it countless times and I go back to it around once a year. 

Douglas is perfect as the middle aged man who has had a real bellyful of modern society and fights back violently.

9/10

Another Round (Druk) 9/10

Outstanding film with really strong performances from the cast. The story is a really good one and considering our own drinking culture is similar to that of Denmark's or what is depicted then it's a nice film showing the highs and lows of alcohol.

If you can find it in cinema it is well worth going to see.

The closest cinema to me that was showing it was the Hippodrome in Bo'ness which if you haven't been to I would also highly recommend it's Scotland's oldest purpose built cinema.

Cruella 7/10

I was forced to watch this with the kids last night. I was expecting it to be awful but was actually a lot of fun. Emma Stone and Emma Thompson were both superb. Ropey first 10 minutes but once it hit its stride, a very enjoyable film.

The Duke 8/10

In 1961, Kempton Bunton, a 60 year old taxi driver from Newcastle, steals Goya's portrait of the Duke of Wellington from the National Gallery in London. 

Jim Broadbent is the lead character and Helen Mirren plays his long suffering wife. Cracking wee British film

On 20/07/2021 at 10:29, Detournement said:

The bit where she starts hitting him with the crow bar is where it should get really interesting and dark. Instead Larry Fishburne appears as a magical negro and dies in time to allow Pratt to save the day and be redeemed to Lawrence.

Passengers just made me very uncomfortable. I think I remember a suggestion I saw online that it would have been much better if it was a horror movie from her perspective, as she finds out what happened to her.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Passengers just made me very uncomfortable. I think I remember a suggestion I saw online that it would have been much better if it was a horror movie from her perspective, as she finds out what happened to her.

Not seen it, but I remember reading a few reviews outlining the plot and wondering why Chris Pratt's character didn't seem to be the villain.

Till Death

I'm not a big fan of Megan Fox but she was good in Jennifer's Body and this is an enjoyable thriller. Set in a snow bound cabin, some of the scenes certainly defy belief but is worth a look at.

Saving Zoe on the other hand... you can see the plot opening up miles in front of you. Best to avoid.

Get Out (2017) dir. Jordan Peele

Superb. About as enjoyable as social commentary can get. The first half successfully nails that awkward tension of white people trying to overcompensate in the company of black people ("I would've voted Obama a third term") and the second half unravels the tension in as perfect and bonkers a manner as possible. I could've went really off if the ending had been what I seriously anticipated it being but where it went was so good.

9/10

On 22/07/2021 at 18:21, Miguel Sanchez said:

Yup. 9 minutes on YouTube:

Escape to Victory 

I caught this on one of the freeview channels last night. I hadn't seen it for a good few decades.

Sly Stallone and a bunch of Ipswich Town players are in a POW camp in WW2. They decide to escape and give the Nazis a damn good thrashing on the fitba field.

Utterly fucking ridiculous but entertaining enough.

6/10

Pig, written and directed by Michael Sarnoski.

When I saw this involved a certain Nicolas Cage owning a truffle-finding-pig who goes missing, I thought what can possibly go wrong? Well, the writing and the storyline, mainly. A promising start which makes you think it's going to be another mental Nic Cage masterpiece but the movie slowly drains your enthusiasm as the plot unravels. There are some frankly bizarre plot choices and it just kind of slowly ends. Disappointed, it could've been so much more. 

3/10 (mainly because the truffle pig is quality).

Edited by The Moonster

Pig, written and directed by Michael Sarnoski.
When I saw this involved a certain Nicolas Cage owning a truffle-finding-pig who goes missing, I thought what can possibly go wrong? Well, the writing and the storyline, mainly. A promising start which makes you think it's going to be another mental Nic Cage masterpiece but the movie slowly drains your enthusiasm as the plot unravels. There are some frankly bizarre plot choices and it just kind of slowly ends. Disappointed, it could've been so much more. 
3/10 (mainly because the truffle pig is quality).
I thought Cage, who I'm not usually a big fan of acted well in it but the film itself was a bit of a snoozefest.

11 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

I thought Cage, who I'm not usually a big fan of acted well in it but the film itself was a bit of a snoozefest.

Aye, Cage was good but the writing let the film down. It was all set up for revenge/redemption and it takes a path nobody wants to watch. 

Black Widow - 7.5/10

Saw this in the cinema (first time there since the pandemic) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

ScarJo is great as the lead but the film seems to focus as much on the other characters rather than giving her the centre.

Florence Pugh absolutely steals the show and Ray Winstone is horribly miscast as some sort of cockney Russian.

Dynamics between the characters and action sequences much better than the actual plot which seemed a bit flimsy.

Saw The Forever Purge last week with the wean, who's a big fan of the series. I missed The First Purge and the TV show, so thought I might be a bit out of the loop, but I was pretty much caught up after the brief opening montage.

Thought it was the best one of the series. Shit really hits the fan, and it updates the blunt satire of American society to the Trump era. Also some nice subversion of immigration-related rhetoric that will no doubt have some no-righters absolutely steaming at the very thought.