What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Nobody (2021)

Bob Odenkirk starts in this shoot-em-up written by Derek Kolstad, he of the John Wick movies.

Indeed, this plays out as a kinda sub-JW movie with plenty of shooting and fighting. Even the movie poster is similar with BO's head surrounded by fists in the same way Keanu Reeves' head is surrounded by guns.

There are about half a dozen LOL moments and BO is excellent. Apparently he went into training for 2 years in preparation for this film so that he could perform all of his own stunts. Christopher Lloyd plays his father and is also plenty trigger happy.

It's all a bit silly in the end but there are worse ways to spend 95 minutes. There's a post credit scene.

I watched the original Ghost in the Shell and the 2017 live action remake. The original is justifiably a classic and can see tons of reference points in later anime. Very cool.

The remake is actually not too bad. Too much attention on the casting of Scarlett Johansson who is tbf far and away the worst part of the movie imo. It’s visually stunning, the sound is superb and the action flows really well. A better lead actress and I would’ve really enjoyed this.

On 11/07/2021 at 11:31, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Fear Street Part 1 1994

This has a mix of your classic slasher movies with an added Stranger Things Vibe about it. It follows a group of teens who are forced to take on an evil force that has plauged their small town for centuries, after it causes a series of brutal slayings. A bit of 90's nostalgia but some of the characters were a tad annoying that I was almost rooting for the stalkers. It could have been much better but failed to deliver in areas.
6/10

Fear Street Part 2 1978

This prequel was much better, with much more gruesome bloodshed. It had a better cast too and the acting more believable. Sadie Sink shone in the main role. Also being set in a summer camp is a dream for any slasher type movie. It had a bit of Friday the 13th vibe going on.
8/10

This.

Netflix have a real talent for making period pieces look right. 

Back to School

80s comedy starring Rodney Dangerfield as a zany and rich old guy who matriculates at university to be with his son.

This has all the tropes of the frat house genre. Y'know, like jocks, nerds, naked girls in the shower, spoilsport tutors etc. 

Sam Kinison makes a memorable appearance as a crazed Vietnam vet.

8/10

Edited by Paul Kersey

Living Dark (DVD) - a couple of spelunking brothers find a small hole that opens up into a mysterious cavern. Based on the old 'Ted the Caver' proto-Creepypasta.

The original story was gripping mainly due to some claustrophobia-inducing descriptions of how potholers navigate their way through ludicrously tight tunnels. The film stays reasonably close to the original for the most part, including some teethgrinding caving scenes, but unfortunately the added resolution to the tale is a bit generic and seems likely to have been designed to remind the audience of The Descent.

Worth a watch if the idea of being trapped underground makes your sphincter tighten like a drum.

Just watched Midsommar.

The most bizarre film I’ve ever seen, but enjoyable and had me fairly gripped the whole time. 2.5 hours usually feels like a drag for films but this felt just right. To be creeped out by a film set in broad daylight must be a sign of good writing and acting. 7.5/10.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Watch Filth last night. McAvoy is sensational. The film? No so much. Felt like it was quite entertaining to begin with but then I just kind of stopped caring halfway through. 

Imogen Poots is an absolute wid.

20 hours ago, smpar said:

Just watched Midsommar.

The most bizarre film I’ve ever seen, but enjoyable and had me fairly gripped the whole time. 2.5 hours usually feels like a drag for films but this felt just right. To be creeped out by a film set in broad daylight must be a sign of good writing and acting. 7.5/10.

Is that film no just a bit of a twist on the Wicker Man? 

I rewatched Ronin.

It's classic 90s fare. De Niro, Sean Bean, Jean Reno and Stellan Skarsgaard all hamming it up and an absolutely ludicrous plot which boils down to four huge set pieces divided up by scenes of De Niro being cool as f**k. 

Pusher 

Nicholas Winding Refn's first movie about a Copenhagen drug dealer who does the usual of too much partying and gets too greedy and has to face the consequences. It was really good and built up incredible tension at the end. It's the first part of a trilogy so I'll need to watch the other two.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

I rewatched Ronin.

It's classic 90s fare. De Niro, Sean Bean, Jean Reno and Stellan Skarsgaard all hamming it up and an absolutely ludicrous plot which boils down to four huge set pieces divided up by scenes of De Niro being cool as f**k. 

Pusher 

Nicholas Winding Refn's first movie about a Copenhagen drug dealer who does the usual of too much partying and gets too greedy and has to face the consequences. It was really good and built up incredible tension at the end. It's the first part of a trilogy so I'll need to watch the other two.

Coincidently I rewatched Ronin last night too. John Frankenheimer is one of my favourite directors (check out Seconds), but this is no more than an efficient action film elevated by a decent cast and some good car chases. It’s not a great movie, but it’s certainly enjoyable.

The two Pusher sequels are great too. This trilogy is probably Refn’s best work. Pusher reminded me of Scorsese’s Mean Streets - grittier and funnier than the flashy nihilism of Refn’s later works.

48 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Coincidently I rewatched Ronin last night too. John Frankenheimer is one of my favourite directors (check out Seconds), but this is no more than an efficient action film elevated by a decent cast and some good car chases. It’s not a great movie, but it’s certainly enjoyable.

The two Pusher sequels are great too. This trilogy is probably Refn’s best work. Pusher reminded me of Scorsese’s Mean Streets - grittier and funnier than the flashy nihilism of Refn’s later works.

Aye it only works because of the charisma of the cast especially Reno and De Niro. It's definitely a lot dafter than I remembered but that's probably due to being a teenager when I first saw it and more easily impressed.

By comparison I watched a fair bit of Passengers last night with Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence. I think it's the first time I've ever watched a Pratt film and it was unbelievable how bad he was. Just an utter goon. 

27 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

An extraordinarily disappointing film. The premise is very good, but the film decides halfway through to just be a standard action movie  set in space, completely forgettable.

The bit where she starts hitting him with the crow bar is where it should get really interesting and dark. Instead Larry Fishburne appears as a magical negro and dies in time to allow Pratt to save the day and be redeemed to Lawrence.